PDA

View Full Version : Close cover error

3CRZ4
10-01-2007, 02:22 PM
I've tried the fixes listed in the forums. Checking connections, checking the switches, etc. But still, the motor starts and immediately shuts down with a 'Close cover and Press Enter' message and it repeats. Does anyone have any idea's? So far, I have not heard from Carvewright. I really like this machine but lately everytime that I turn it on there is another hurdle to cross to get it to work.

Digitalwoodshop
10-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Look here first... The plug comes loose.

Then close the cover slow and listen to the click on the left and right switches.

Monitor using options 7 sensor data. Cover Closed/open

Good Luck.

AL

In the left picture the Cover Switch is on the bottom left plug

In the New 14 pin to the Right it is top center and you can reach it from the bit changing position.

forqnc
10-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the pictures Digitalworkshop. On the new 14 pin board it looks like they improved the Black connectors with the snap lock. I'll have to check mine when it comes back to see if I got the improvement. :D

nodwell
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
My thanks also, harness had become unpluged and was not sure were it was supposed to reattach. Was getting ready to post question when I saw this. Any secrets to getting this plug back in for us with short fat fingers?

Don

liquidguitars
10-02-2007, 09:58 AM
forceps work ok with the cover loose and raised a inch or so...

LG

nodwell
10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Wish I had a pair of them. Thank goodness Lowes is less than a mile up the road. This gives me a good excuse to go shopping..

Don

Digitalwoodshop
10-02-2007, 10:32 AM
If you have the 16 pin the plug is harder to get to. I found with my fat fingers that by cranking the head up you can reach under the roller at the same time go in from the top and push the plug in with both hands or fingers. Careful using pliers not to short the wires.

Good Luck,

AL

nodwell
10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Finally got plug back in. Took care of the cover open error. Loaded project and started program...got "check motor" message. Flex cable had come loose when I took cover off. Need to learn to check everthing before I put cover back on.

Don

sewilliams
10-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I am getting the close cover error... My machine has never started, I checked the connections to the board, everthing is connected. I tried pushing in the sensors manually without success. I even tried to bypass the switch without success. I have a high knoledge base as far as how things work and I am stumped. Any ideas of what to check for let me know.

Jeff_Birt
10-02-2007, 01:20 PM
sewilliams, give CW a call. There is a small wiring harness that feeds the board sensor that can get shorted to the Z-truck housing and cause the 'Close Cover' message. The CW techs will help troubleshoot the problem and pick up shipping back to their place if they need to fix it.

Digitalwoodshop
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
I had forgotten about that.... I had that too once.... Call LHR 800-573-1226

AL

sewilliams
10-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I already called, they think it is a bad sensor, however I have jumped the switch and still have the same problem. I also checked the wires where they plugged in. I am a school teacher and was hoping to get this going so the students this quarter could get some use out of it. I never expected a brand new piece of equipment to not work. Help me if you can.

3CRZ4
10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for everyone's help! Unfortuneatly, nothing has worked. I'm still waiting for a call back from 'a technician'. Have to wait for a day when I have more time. Has anyone else experienced long waits for a call back? They ask you to be by the machine, they are very polite but I must have called during a busy time.
Thanks again

grubby
10-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I began having problems with my cover switch last week. It got to the point if I propped the cover part way open the alarm would clear and the machine would run. Last night it died all together. I unplugged the harness from the board in the back and used my Ohm meter to see if the switch was working. The switch basically completes the circuit when the door is shut. So to solve the problem until the new switch gets here I completed the circuit (if you know what I mean). Oh it was the cover switch that goes to the board not the one that is connected to the motor. I'm not telling anyone to do this for safety concerns, but in an emergency it might be a fix.

sewilliams
10-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I checked my other sensors and they did not work either. CW sent me a new circit board along with a new ribbon cable (I think this was the problem as the end of the cable looked messed up). After replacing them all is well.

3CRZ4
10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
After talking to a tech, he seems to think that I have a bad switch but they are out of stock. I'll wait for the new switch, with the hope that this fixes my machine. We'll see! Like the rest of you(Hopefully) you really like this machine and want to continue to use it. It's a fantastic machine but durability could be improved. After, finally, talking to a Tech, I feel more comfortable about the machine. We'll see what happens after the new part arrives.
Thanks for everyones help during this, I appreciate it!!!!!!