PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a NEW Z Bundle

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Received my NEW Z Bundle today. A upgrade that cost me $52.00 with shipping for my OUT OF WARRANTY unit. Was GLAD to pay for the parts for my 444 hour OUT OF WARRANTY unit.

The fault that prompted this set of parts was trying to get the old still functional cable that in my unit had FAILED. It was going to the Bit Flag and 1 inch away stop as if it hit the Bit Flag. Did it twice then would do an AIR Carve.

Two attempts to get the 16 pin cable but each time got the 4 inch cable that is inside the Z for the probe data.

Opted then to get the upgrade kit "Z Bundle" and install it.

Here are the first pictures.

Note the New Z has shorter Heat Fins that were always hitting the Right Cover Switch Cut Motor Wires in the back right side.

Note the New Z Pack Power and Encoder Wires now have a Hear Resistant Fiber Sleeve to prevent pinched wires.

Note the New Z Pack has a New Circuit Board with a 14 Pin vice 16 pin connector J1

Note the New Z Pack has no connector for the flat 4 inch cable going to the Probe Jack inside the Z. Bottom left of the board.

Note a replacement Circuit board for the other end of the 14 pin cable J3 or Jack 3.

Note the old Z Pack has a longer Cooling Fin pack. Quick way to tell if you have the new Z Bundle from your last repair to LHR.

More Later,

AL

That is a New Replacement 16 pin OLD Z Pack that I purchased if the 16 pin cable did not fix my problem. I will attempt to return it for credit since I have the upgrade cable.

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
More pictures of the Z Bundle. This is the board that you plug your top cover white plug into. Note the board is on it's side in the second picture but that top right jack is the left cover switch jack.

AL

PS: Please don't beat up on the LHR Staff demanding the Upgrade for your Out of Warranty unit. This is an "Improvement" to a "Working System". If you want the upgrade, do like I did and paid for it.

Jeff_Birt
09-28-2007, 12:34 PM
thanks for the pics Al! And I don't think you can beat the price either. Did they mention how one is supposed to hook the probe up with this new Z-pack?

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2007, 03:37 PM
You know that unused Jack on the left side of the top cover that I thought was going to be used for a spindle rotation device.... That's the one that the wires are bundle together with the left lid switch... They have an adapter that plugs into that jack and then the probe plugs into that. I just talked to service and sales and they have the adapter available. The new 14 pin board takes care of the wiring change as the left lid switch plugs into that board. No program change is needed because of the circuit board change of removing the 4 inch flat Z Probe Cable and just picking up the information from the unused wires... I still think a sled with a rotation device is in the works for that jack some day...

The price?.... At the moment it is FREE if you have the Z bundle upgrade and a probe. She said that it could change in the future but for today it is free.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-29-2007, 01:21 PM
EDIT: See next post..... 1.121 will fix it.....

I just finished installing everything and when I turn the machine on it comes up in Scan Mode looking for me to start the Scan Probe setup. Sensor check shows the Probe Closed as if it is plugged in. I reached back and unplugged the left lid switch and now the probe data and it still showed closed but the lid switch showed open. The Lid open was expected.

So I am down until Monday.... Unplugging the left lid switch plug eliminated a shorted wire.

Had to sand down a few areas of the upper cover because the Z Spring loaded screw is now higher and the Z Encoder is longer so it hits in the back and on top.

Took lots of pictures and will post them tonight. I need to get some real work done.

AL

Even tried uploading a new 1.120 but no change. Either my Card is Shorted or there is something LHR did not tell me...

Digitalwoodshop
09-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Called LHR and Service has 2 people working on Saturday... WOW.....

Talked to Henry and there is a change I didn't find out about until now.... Remember reading something someone posted about having to call CarveWright after there unit came back from service but he didn't give any details.... Secrecy... Don't tell anyone..... If I had known the details then like YOU ALL DO NOW.... It would have saved me some time....

Classified:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/cw_fw_1_121.mwm

Please download the firmware above to a known
location on your computer. Then open the Designer and insert your
flash card into the programmer. Select the File->"Flash Manager...",
when the Flash Manager opens click the Firmware button. Now click
the Choose button from the firmware dialog, and a file browser window
will open. Browse to where you downloaded the firmware
file and open it. The firmware will now be uploaded on to your card.

After you put the card back in the machine, turn the machine on. It should say “Scan Area”. Hit option “0”. Scroll down to number 5, User Options. Scroll down to Scan Probe. Make sure it is on “cover” instead of Z truck.

Press stop until you get back to main menu. It should say Project Menu

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-29-2007, 02:18 PM
It worked !!!!! Made a post in the Machine Area too....

They ALSO Fixed the Measure Board, Center of Board Speed Problem....

THANKS LHR !!!!!!!!

I wonder what other goodies are in 1.121....

AL

pkunk
09-29-2007, 05:27 PM
1.121 must be just for the new z pac. I don't get a update through the software update.

Digitalwoodshop
09-29-2007, 08:09 PM
From what I saw it was 2 changes... Giving you a switch in options to select the OLD Probe wiring or NEW probe wiring.

The SPEED of measurement is VERY FAST.... In every function.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-29-2007, 08:14 PM
The 14 pin main data wires from the Computer have the upgrade sockets with retainer clips too.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Found after installation of the new Z Bundle and putting the top cover back on I had a problem. The TOP Z Spring Loaded Screw was now hitting the top and the little tabs in the top. Also the Z Encoder cover has 3 screws and is slightly longer and hits the back motor cooling ducting.

Had to sand the plastic to make it all work. The Encoder cover has a gasket now too.

AL

newcarver
10-16-2007, 06:55 PM
I have the probe comming and just installed the new z bundle, wanted to know if i need the adapter for the probe, i was told the new z bundles dont need the adapter, they are gonna call me back after talking to tech to see if i need it. hope i dont , want to scan. where does the probe plug into then the same place it did? then the adapter has a cable to the replaced board with the z bundle? Not sure i understand the whole business.

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Here is the Jumper Cable you need if you have the 14 pin Z Bundle. It plugs into the side of the cover near the keypad. The same jack or plug that carries the wires with the left cover switch.

You might be getting the probe jumper in the box WITH your new probe. OR.... The New probe will come with the plug already on it..... Time will tell.

Here is what I got.

AL

MWM P1324 Probe Cable Retainer

MWM C1027 Surface Probe Jumper Cable

newcarver
10-16-2007, 08:55 PM
time will tell what they give me, theyre gonna call me back tommorrow and let me know if i need anything. i'll let you know what i need or dont need....

newcarver
10-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Yup, you still need the adapter, they are sending it out right away. I thought they would know who had the z bundle and who didnt. Oh well.

mtylerfl
11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Hello AL,

I'm installing the new Z-pak on one of my machines today.

What did you do with the 4" flat cable from the Z-truck? Did you leave it 'dangling' or did you remove it altogether?

newcarver
11-03-2007, 04:45 PM
i was told to pull it out to avoid shorts

mtylerfl
11-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Newcarver for that info.

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
This might help you get started. What helped me was laying the new cable on the old one and making the 90 degree bend making sure that the new cable is put in the right way. Once I had it apart I needed to refer to the pictures to get it right.

Good Luck,

AL