PDA

View Full Version : How fast are straight cuts in 3/4" oak

trekease
09-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Howdy all,

I am currently having to contract out work at a millworks with a CNC for about $300/hour plus setup costs, however if the carvewright can make the simple furniture cuts in 3/4" oak plank I could convert my CAD drawings and purchase a carvewright. I do not have elaborate surface relief carvings and all the specs talk about hours for carving these, I just want to cut some unique shapes in 3/4" plank. How long does it take the unit to cut a 12" straight through cut in this type of material?

pkunk
09-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Not knowing exactly what you are describing we can't really answer. Download the trial software, make a MPC of what you want and post it here. One of us will load it to a card and give you the approximate time.

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
The weight of the Oak will be the major issue. The board is pulled through the machine with sand paper belts and the heavier the wood the more trouble. I tried some heavy stuff and later broke a gear. Think the gear was weakened by the heavy wood. A Shop Bot where the head moves over the Oak would be a better investment in my opinion.

Lighter oak, no problem.... Cut depth 1 inch max thickness in oak or pine.

The 30 inch Quilt rack in the picture took 1 hour to carve the detail, text, and cut the square holes. If I left the cut path on it to cut it out it was another hour for the cut path in 3/4 inch pine. I cut a template and use a table router and bushing and make the same cut in 45 seconds.

The Carve machine would be an asset to your shop.... Just know the limitations.

Good Luck,

AL

The gear is meant to break as something needs to give in a Jam. A $80.00 motor or a $5.00 gear.

Dale in Anaheim
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
One of us will load it to a card and give you the approximate time.

Yep, that would be the best way to figure it out. I am sure that if you could show us the profile you are looking for. Or better yet, as suggested, upload an MPC and someone here would more likely than not be happy to take a piece of scrap and try it for you and let you know how long it took.

Dale

trekease
09-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your advice. I am between a rock and a hard place in order to create an affordable US made wheelchair treadmill, see www.trekease.com
for details. Conventional template routing may be faster for the short term. Carvewright is in Austin in 2 weeks for a show. I will test my materials for cutting.

I have designed 10 unique mortise & tenon and sliding joint interlocking pieces that assemble to create a study and ergonomic frame. I have gone from an ATV jack to steel tubing to aluminum plate to plastic plate to wood composite plate. I conducted an engineering analysis at UT this summer, so I have validated Standard product design with 3/4" plyboo and 17mm Jer Envirotech wood composite.

The carvewright price is compelling, but can it rapidly cut pieces?

Dan-Woodman
09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
The carvewright does not cut rapidly.
For thick pieces-3/4"- it makes about 1/8" passes at a time, using a 1/8" spiral endmill.

Gman_Ind
10-05-2007, 09:43 AM
I would agree the CW/CC is NOT fast and Is not for production parts like this. It is however excellent at making the initial pattern for pattern routing. I use an over arm router (pin router) with templates for making multiple copies. A 3hp router cuts much faster than the CC but is as dumb as a post ;)