PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Error- reboot system

RC Woodworks
09-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I have had two fatal errors on two different projects. Unfortunately I am unable to show them due to being purchased patterns. Anyway the first project was a standing pheasant from Vector Art 3D and the second a buck head from Carve Buddy.

In both projects I was able to carve the patterns, but when it went to cut out the pattern the fatal error occurred. In the start it called for the cutting bit and stopped and asked for the cutting bit. It would find the bit and in both projects go to the far left and go down past the board and stop. This is where the error happens.

Has anybody had this trouble? I haven't tried it on my second machine. Please let me know what you think it is.

Rick

Jeff_Birt
09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
What is the thickness of your stock? Are you using a sled?

RC Woodworks
09-22-2007, 08:00 PM
What is the thickness of your stock? Are you using a sled?

You are brilliant Jeff! I didn't think of that, it was 1.5 inch redwood. I did have it set for that thickness. I have never used a sled, but I have cut out projects in 1 inch materail.

I am glad we have this forum! It helps me to see what I am doing wrong! I guess I need to make a sled? I ended up cutting it out by hand with my router.

Thanks again Jeff, I am sure that was the problem.

Rick

liquidguitars
09-22-2007, 08:02 PM
This will happen when I have the wrong thickness set in desinger and I am
using a sled.. so let say my design is .75" and i am using a 2" thick sled
I will get this error from time to time, just set the right thickness and it should work.

edit: as a side note, you do not have to use cut path to get this landing bit error. I never use "cut path much" but still need to set the hight right overall.

LG

Jeff_Birt
09-22-2007, 08:24 PM
You CANNOT use 'Cut Path' on stock thicker than 1" or (normally) when using a sled. The machine tries to deduce the actual stock thickness and you will get a Fatal Error 2 if it is thicker than 1".

If your stock/sled is 14.5" wide the machine can't do its thickness measuring routine so it will prompt you to enter the board thickness at the machine keypad. You enter the stock thickness, even if you are using a sled.

RC Woodworks
09-22-2007, 08:40 PM
LG and Jeff, thanks again for your help. Can you fool the machine by telling it the board is 3/4 inch? Or will it only cut deep enough for a 3/4 board? I think I just answered myself!

Jeff, if I am understanding you I can do this with a sled? I have an ideal how to make a sled, but does it have to be 14.5" ? The board I was using was 11.25" wide, I guess you screw the board to the sled?

Wow I am just using only a small amount of the machine's capability! What am I going to do if I ever get my SB together!! I hope I do this before my back surgery......Help!!!!!!

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Rick,

That's right... Cut path "Through" is the Villin.... I de select cut path then I use "select bit" then set cut depth of .99 and cut away the piece later. Even will do it without a sled or carrier board. Was cutting 5/4 pine at 1.17 thick and selected cut path cut "through" and it vapor locked too.... Also did it with the Drill Function with my Bear Clocks too.... No cut path just drill function. Wanted a through hole in 1.17 thick stock.... Vapor Locked with a Fatal Error...... Changed the drill depth to .99 and Christine was happy again.... Still have not gotten the cable I requested.... Hopefully monday.... Both machines down...

AL

RC Woodworks
09-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Al, bummer both are still down. I ended up hand cutting the patterns. I used the cutting bit using my router. Well another limitation of the machine. Good thing it does other wonderful things!

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2007, 01:38 PM
My palm Sander still works and I am dust covered.... Still a left handed sander.... Never liked sanding with the right hand..... Will develop a big left arm..... Snicker.....

That $800.00 Thickness sander is on my wish list.... After the new year.... Spent enough this year. Started 25 Virgin Quilt and CD sides today. They will go much quicker with what I have learned as to finishing.... More is not more better..... When it comes to stain.....

AL

RC Woodworks
09-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Al, you spent enough?! Try buying a $10,000 SB that is a $10,000 bench!!! You think my wife complains when one of my two CC has a problem! I hope it get it all together and my shop back in order before my back surgery!

Rick