PDA

View Full Version : Gotta get one

silverdrake
09-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Just found out about the CW last weekend and let me say, I GOTTA GET ONE! I've been scouring the forum for every bit of info on it that I could find, Forewarned is Forearmed. It seems that there are a few things to deal with occasionally, but everything with moving parts has them. I spent the last 6 years running CNC lasers and mills, so repairs and adjustments are nothing new to me. I want to combine what this machine can do with my blacksmithing/ornamental iron. Should make for some interesting pieces. I've even got the go ahead from "The Boss", so long as she gets some "pretties".:) Now to decide whether to buy CW or CC. Either way, gonna be soon.

Reset
09-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Doesn't matter which one, CW and CC are identical. However, buying at Sears is generally less expensive if you wait for a sale and use the craftsman club discount. :D

You're already solved the most common technical problem...getting the "boss'" approval! :D

Tommy

jspringertx
09-21-2007, 10:34 AM
You will not regret your purchase. Even though I have had my share of problems on my unit (purchased January) I have thoroughly enjoyed the work it does. I can spend hours watching the unit carve.
An item to seriously consider is the purchase of the Centerline Font from CarveWright...it is a must.

The quality of the machine has improved considerably over the past 9 months and the CarveWright people are great to work with. Don't hesitate to contact them for technical support.

oldjoe
09-21-2007, 11:47 AM
It does make some good additives for Iron work. I am currently working on a sign for the front of my house board sensor went out so I am waiting for that to come (hopefully today) so I can have it up by next weekend. One word of warning those "pretties for the boss" that list keeps getting longer . But you will love your new toy (okay machine) when its running but you will be bumming if its not.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your iron and wood the two are made for each other.

Signmaker
09-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi,

If you are into iron work you might look into www.torchmate.com if you make the same peices in quantity, or just one. One of their products cuts steel plate/sheet with a plasama cutter. Just program it & it goes... see video.

That's right. For you the CarveWright & Torchmate are a great combo.

Signmaker

oldjoe
09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Signmaker thanks for the tip been there seen it can't afford it both financally or space they take up. But something like that is on my wish list for the future when I can fit one in. You would have to keep it almost in a separate building from your wood working tools. Lots of grit and smoke floating around all over after using one.

silverdrake
09-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Good idea, Signmaker. Unfortunately, like Oldjoe, the cost is a bit more than I can afford. Maybe I'll use the CW to make some wooden patterns and cast the parts for a homegrown version. I have a small foundry furnace, so that may be the way to go.

Signmaker
09-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Good idea, Signmaker. Unfortunately, like Oldjoe, the cost is a bit more than I can afford. Maybe I'll use the CW to make some wooden patterns and cast the parts for a homegrown version. I have a small foundry furnace, so that may be the way to go.

It's on MY wish list too! :-/ Although... I do have a plasma cutter. www.harborfreight.com

Signmaker

RanUtah
09-22-2007, 02:02 AM
I love the 4x4 model, just wish I could afford the $7000.00 price tag.

RC Woodworks
09-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Just found out about the CW last weekend and let me say, I GOTTA GET ONE! I've been scouring the forum for every bit of info on it that I could find, Forewarned is Forearmed. It seems that there are a few things to deal with occasionally, but everything with moving parts has them. I spent the last 6 years running CNC lasers and mills, so repairs and adjustments are nothing new to me. I want to combine what this machine can do with my blacksmithing/ornamental iron. Should make for some interesting pieces. I've even got the go ahead from "The Boss", so long as she gets some "pretties".:) Now to decide whether to buy CW or CC. Either way, gonna be soon.

Silver, a word of advice don't tell the boss about any minor problems! I made the mistake of not learning the machine and with the exception of the first CC I exchanged 3 machines. The first one was bad the other 2 simple fixes. Where I went wrong was complaining to the wife and others ( sorry again guys!)

My wife doesn't realize this is a different type of woodworking machine. My table saw and other tools no problems so she thinks the CC should be the same. I own and operate a sign shop and until recently I have hand routed my signs. I own 2 CC and a 4' X 8' ShopBot CNC also. The bummer is the day I attempted to assemble the ShopBot was the 4th of July and they shorted my much needed hardware. Of course I was not able to call or go to the hardware store. Anyway it is a $10,000 bench right now! I go to fairs and my schedule has not allowed me to finish.

I know I will have problems with the SB also. My uncle who taught me the sign trade has a couple CNC and he has problems quite a bit and his machines he paid $25,000 and more! He calls the CC a toy, but he has not really seen what it can do.

With your CNC experience you will be fine! With all the signs I have made with my 2 CC I have paid for them twice over. Tell the boss it will pay for it self and if you need to send it to Texas for repair tell her it is for updates! Everytime I have sent one of my CC to LHR they have updated something. I recently sent my #1 machine in for repair and it came back quieter and working even better!

LHR has great tech service and they get parts out and repair your machine quickly. The only thing I don't care for with the CC is how slow it carves. One day I layed out and hand routed 3 signs while the CC was carving. The machine started before me and I finished the 3 signs. The CC carved 3 raised letters! If time is not an issue this machine does great things! Check out the gallery and see all the projects.

I can't wait to see if LHR will come out with a faster more commercial CNC! The software for the CC is fantastic. Compared to the SB it is so user friendly. I wish I could use it with the SB.

Hey here's an ideal buy the CC for the boss and let her use it! She will be hooked, we have a few lady craftspersons in here!

Rick