PDA

View Full Version : Softer Scanning probe possibility

theycallmetim
09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
All,

I just got my scanning probe and found that it would scratch the paint off surfaces and many others were having this issue as well.

I found that if I put a model glue applicator tip (the ones you use to apply plastic model cement) it won't scratch your surface or leave any marks.

It fits nicely on the metal tip, blunts it, but doesn't add that much area to cause much concern in loss of detail. I've used it for only about 2 hours now, but I haven't seen much loss of plastic on the tip so I think it will hold up well.

I'm running an 8 hour scan tonight and I'll update it with my results. These tips are only about $2.00/5 so they're pretty cheap to replace as well.

The results have been as accurate as I need them to be, considering that you can only carve to a 1/16th in. with the ball tip carving head anyway.

Let me know if anyone else has a better idea.

Thanks!

Reset
09-16-2007, 07:35 PM
I've been testing various "tips" out also, and tried the model glue applicator tip out just today...have scanned for about 4 hours today...and can confirm...so far so good :D

Tommy

Dale in Anaheim
09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Not being a modeler, I am a bit concerned that I might be looking at the wrong part. Can one of you two point me to a source or post a picture of the part so that when I look at them I know for sure I am getting the right thing?

Thanks,

Dale

Reset
09-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Here is the picture :D

Found at any hobby store, and it is quite possible they sell them at Walmart also...in the toy section. Guess I'll have to check there myself the next time I go...

Tommy

benluz
09-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I purchased a probe with my shopsabre router and it had a tiny plastic ball at the end and you can order different sizes of them as well.So I can see where covering the sharp metal would help.My tip looked bigger than the cw ,but caputured detail as well.
Ben

theycallmetim
09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Must say it worked like a charm!

8 hours of scanning and doesn't look like the tip had any damage done. It also seems to have taken the "jumpiness" out of the scan as well. I've attached a thumbnail to show what the scan looked like w/o any editing done.

I've found my soft probe tip!

RanUtah
09-22-2007, 02:14 AM
I wonder if anyone had tried that dipping plastic used to dip tools in for softer handles?

Reset
09-22-2007, 09:55 PM
I wonder if anyone had tried that dipping plastic used to dip tools in for softer handles?

Yes, I tried that :D

Didn't work at all...color didn't matter either, tried it in black, red, and yellow lol (No I really didn't think color would matter...just tried making the coating different thickness' and used a different color each time :D)

Tommy

t56mech
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Does the tip make the scan bigger then the actual item being scanned due to the distance from the outside of the tip to the probe?

ASD HI
05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
I've been using a glass bead on the tip of the scanning probe. The bead can be found at most hobby or craft stores. The bead itself is 0.06" and the hole is just big enough to fit the tip in without it protruding out the other end. I use thin CA to affix it to the tip. With the smooth surface of the glass bead there is much less scratching and not much difference in scanning accuracy.

benluz
05-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Hello, yes the end of the probe on my shopsabre came like that ,I forget the exact material on the tip,but same principal.
Ben

scannerpal
05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I stripped about 3/8" of insulation from some Tefzel (r) jacketed hookup wire, #30, and pushed it on the tip, leaving just a tiny bit of it extending past the tip. Durable, enlarges the tip only slightly, soft enough, holds on tight without glue, easily replaced. Could have used ordinary vinyl wire insulation too, or shrink wrap, but the tefzel is really good stuff.