PDA

View Full Version : Carve quality issue

phoenix02
09-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Hello all,

I'm sorry, I don't have a pic for now. My issue is with the CW carving different depths for a flat surface. Firstly, there's chattering across the length of the board- you can see the "print lines" of the cutter head running the width of the wood. Secondly, the surface isn't all the same height. What's odd, is that the surfaces of what I carve are all the same, but not the floor below them, if that makes sense. I'm carving text and images raised.

With that meager explanation, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

Hawg_man
09-13-2007, 05:07 AM
Without an image or file to post it would be hard to answer...........are you importing a image file to carve and if so is it a jpg, .png, or .bmp file? do not use .jpg files as my guess is what you are seeing is background noise showing up as a eractic surface if the rest of your carve is ok, use a .png or .bmp file format. do a serch on the forum or post a file to receive the proper advise.

Bob

JOHNB
09-13-2007, 05:33 AM
Search "z-motor", Then Call Lhr For A New One.

dpowli
09-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I ran into this quite a while ago and the cause was the cutting bit became lose in the holder which allowed the bit to move up and down within the confines of the "flat" on the bit. Only showed up on the even parts, not on the raised carvings.
For what it's worth ......

DocWheeler
09-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Michael,

If I'm understanding your post - If the text on the carving goes up and down as the "floor" changes, the board is raising and lowering under the bit. This is usually caused by the rollers not keeping the board down.

oldjoe
09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Just my 2 cents worth but I would suspect everyone gave you the right advice the only other thing are you carving in the best quality normal or draft mode?