PDA

View Full Version : A Message to all new CW and CC Machine Owners

Kenm810
09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
A Message to all new CW and CC Machine Owners
Welcome to the Forum, and Save the Box with all the packing materials the Machine came in. It’s … Important … and must be used if sending your machine to LHR for repairs or returning it for exchange or refund.

One of the most important things to do before carving your first project is to take any Twist Ties or Tie Wraps off the Flex-Shaft; their primarily there for shipping purposes, but They can cause hot spots in the machines Flex-Shaft, leading to a possible melt down or worst – damage to the machine.
If you feel the need to fasten the Flex-Shaft to the wire support loop I suggest using a light wrap of black vinyl electrical tape. Only to act as a guide and help limit vibration.

Now before you run your machine Please check the Flex-Shaft for proper lubrication. Liquid Wrench - Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lubricant with Moly is recommended. Some of the machines have come through with no lube or insufficient lube on the Flex-Shaft. Which can result in damage to the Flex-Shaft and possibly the Machine, and remember to wipe off any excess Moly lube on the Flex-Shaft, also let it drip dry for a while before reinstalling it in the machine. You really don't want any exess lube to get into the carving head bearings and causing problems.
Do a forum Search on the proper flex-shaft lube and how to do it along with the other locations and parts of the machine that will need proper lubrications.

There are several posts and threads in this forum about how to lube, and what has to be watched and lubed when necessary plus suggestions of what lubes to use.
The Flex-Shaft should never be allowed to get hotter then comfortably warm to the touch, the mid 80s to mid 90s in degrees of temperature, you can check it for hot spots by hand or with a hand held infrared thermometer.

When you have time it will also serve you well to read the posts on troubleshooting your machine, to save you some future grief by knowing in advance what to expect.
And remember if you can't find the answer in the Forums Search Option, you’re always welcome to post questions. There a lot of knowledgeable folks on the forum that are more then willing and able to help. Then if you still feel unsure of the answer, The best thing for you to do is call LHR and speak to a CW Tech as soon as possible.

LHR Technologies, Inc.
4930 Allen Genoa Road
Pasadena, TX. 77504

CarveWright Service Phone Numbers
For CarveWright and CompuCarve Machines
You can contact CarveWright by phone at
1-713-473-6572
email at support@carvewright.com.
New hours are Monday through Saturday 9:00 am To 6:00 pm Central Time.

Tell them exactly what’s happening or what happened.
Most likely they’ll be able to talk you through the problem on the phone, send you a new part, or email you a prepaid shipping label to return you CW or CC machine to LHR for repair or replacement while in warranty. “ In the original box and packing ” (LHR support for 1 year or 200 hours which ever comes first.)
Finally try to get into the habit of reading the Forum for news, new patterns and updates, also using the Forums Search Option for getting timely bits of information and answers to your inevitable myriad of questions. Remember to Read and keep your Manual handy.
Originally posted 9/11/2007

Staninvent
03-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I am new to this forum and am not sure how to post to it. I am looking for someone in the Tulsa, Ok. area with a machine and knowledge of how to use it. If any one wants to respond my E-mail is Staninvent@cox.net Thanks

student
03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I too am new to this forum and am looking for someone in the North Florida or Extreme South Georgia (50 mile radius of 32208) area with knowledge of the machine.

I'm willing to assist you with some of your projects in exchange for the experience.

I also have a few assignments that I could sub-contract out.

oldtiller
04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I am wondering if I am the only one that has problems with support with LHR. I had to send my 2 week old machine in for repair and after a week they still have not looked at it.

Jeff_Birt
04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
My friend, how is that lack of support? All repair shops get go through busy spurts where it can take a few more days to get a machine through. If you sent it a week ago, figure 3 days shipping (at least), two days for the weekend, so they may have had it two days.

I know it is frustrating to not have your machine, but be a bit patient. I'm sure LHR will get you fixed up.

Digitalwoodshop
04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Oldtiller, you will find the root cause of your carve machine problems here:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6754

#6 hits the nail right on the head.

AL

jbraman
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Oldtiller,
Just hang in there, it gets better. I got my CW and just about threw the thing out the window after less than 24 hours. I found that the forums would typically give me a faster answer to problems than support.

oldman
05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you jbraman I just got a call back from LHR and my machine is in the final testing stages and should be back next week. I call this AM to get an update and they called back a couple of hours latter with this news, so far I can't complain about their survice and you are right there is a lot of good info in this forum it just takes a little bit of time to find it. I think that together we have had all the problems you could have with this machine. I only hope that someone from CW reads the problems and passed it along to their QC dept.

Kix
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I have been reading the forum for about a year now. Keep reading about how you have to read the manual and maintenance and etc.

I am almost ready to buy, it will be another ten days and 15 minutes or so. Is there a copy of the manual on the forum somewhere so I can have something to do while waiting?

Might as well be prepared, eh? Also, anyone know if I can get another one month trial on the software, suppose I could just use the wifes name, maybe?

Thanks, you guys seem like a good bunch,

Kix

fwharris
05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I have been reading the forum for about a year now. Keep reading about how you have to read the manual and maintenance and etc.

I am almost ready to buy, it will be another ten days and 15 minutes or so. Is there a copy of the manual on the forum somewhere so I can have something to do while waiting?

Might as well be prepared, eh? Also, anyone know if I can get another one month trial on the software, suppose I could just use the wifes name, maybe?

Thanks, you guys seem like a good bunch,

Kix

Kix,

First of all welcome to the forum.Glad to see another Colorado user also.
Here is a link to the manual:
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11264&postcount=4

There is also a lot of good reading in the other posts in this thread: trouble shooting PDF's

cnsranch
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
You can find the manual on CW's website - best time to buy is now - go for it!

Dan-Woodman
05-20-2008, 09:23 PM
You could also check out the newest retailer Ace Hardware. See what kind of price and warrenty you get.

later Daniel

LittleRedWoodshop
05-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Or you can call me and I will answer all of the questions that you have.

Phone number is listed on the website below.

Kix
06-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Bought from Lil Red, after talking to Jason a bit I thought about the experience I had at Woodcraft. Nothing but slack jawed stares and dumb looks. I figured it would be best to deal with someone who could answer my questions as needed. I did have a great conversation with them today about dust collector systems, but that doesnt mean I'm going to buy my Ferrari from the local Fiat shop.

Also joined the CNC Guild Jason has been working on, figure it makes sense a bit.

I placed my order on Friday, am expecting delivery on Wednesday or so, oh yeah baby!

fwharris
06-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Kix,
Welcome to the club! I am very sure you will be pleased with the support you will get from Jason. Happy carving!!!

DudBuster
06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
I too just purchased "The Machine" (as my wife calls it, lol) from Jason this past Monday. I could have purchased it from a few places, but when I called him over the weekend he impressed the hell out of me for a few reasons:

1. It was Saturday
2. He was in the middle of working on a project
3. He did not hesitate to stop and talk to me, and answer all my stupid questions.

Not trying to go off on a tangent, but in todays world of automated answering machines and "Press 5 to talk to a representative so they may assist you" it was a huge deal to me when I called him and he took the time to really get to know me and what I was looking for as a customer as well as a person.

I highly recommend that anyone wanting to make a purchase to give him a call.

Just my .02 cents...

LittleRedWoodshop
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Thank you... I just like to treat my customers, Friends, Team members the way that I would like to be treated.... thanks guys for your kind words.

Steven Alford
06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey KIX,
Good to see another Coloradoan; gets us one closer to a small "group for therapy" !!

As for Little Red, you could not ask for a better distributor to deal with. I just wish he was closer so I could ask in person and watch a pro.

Steve

LittleRedWoodshop
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Thank you Steven... hope things are well. How is the Machine and how are the Bonsai cabinets going.

Steven Alford
06-04-2008, 11:04 PM
I got most of the cabinet built. Now I need to spend some time with the CC software (Designer) to figure out how I want the Bonsai trees to look. I do a lot of cad work with AutoCad and I thought this software would be easy. Yes, it is easy, just not a familiar way of working. It will take some getting use to.
But I am plugging away. Soon you will see a finished product.

Steve

Don Butler
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
OK, you made me do it.

I just placed my order.
Now I have to wait for it.
:rolleyes:;);)::

d...

radconjon
06-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I have had mine for a couple of weeks. There is definitely a learning curve but it is going to be very handy. I need to search the posts for a few problems, I know I there was some info on some of my problems but until I got the machine and tried it a lot of what I read did not make a bunch of sense. Not the mist is beginning to clear.........

FiddlemakerMills
08-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Jason
I have just started to use my CC machine. I havent had many issues with it, all of which I have been able to correct. I have visited your web site Very nice I may say. Thankyou for the effort to help us beginners.

I am trying to design an arching for the Strad LeMessie Violin but not having much luck. Any Hints are welcome

Thanks Carl

pscychnurse
08-16-2008, 12:42 AM
bought mine in march but it never worked they have been kind enough to repair whats a good first project to try?

Don Butler
08-16-2008, 05:56 AM
My CW is doing well after I replaced a faulty Quick Change Bit Adapter. I built a rolling table for it with downdraft dust collection. I'm more occupied with the learning curve with the software than the machine. But I'm getting there.

An easy first project is a placque or sign. Just put in some text and a couple of the graphics provided with the software and use inexpensive wood to start.

Try it, you'll like it!

Don

mitchok
10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi all.

Got my CC as a gift from a friend over a year ago. Just opened up last weekend. I did cruise the forums before powering on. Checked the FS... it was lubed. Took off the twist tie. Loaded lastest designer s/w. Attempted a simple griffin carving on a piece of select pine. No fouls, no errors, no overheating. Definitely have some technique and s/w learning to do.

After reading through the forums more this week... I feel like I am going to go back over the machine again to make sure everything is a-ok. I am thinking I should re-lube the FS to reduce my sense of anxiety I have after reading some of the posts.

:)
MitchOK

Kenm810
10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi MitchOK,

Welcome to the CW Forum,
Reading all you can about the machine is a Great way to start.
Checking the Flex-Shaft is also a really good idea,
a few have come out of the box with little or no lube on the FS.
Best to play it safe now, -- less headaches later. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Tomahawk 26
11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I received my CC from a friend about six months ago. Is the a trend? :) My first test project was in a scrap of red oak that I had in the shop. In the software the demensions were 8" X 10" but it carved the image about 2" X 4" and locked up. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Digitalwoodshop
11-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Most likely you don't know about the 7 inch rule that your physical board needs to be 7 inches longer than your designer board to let the 3 inches stay under the rollers and flat to the table. Shorter and it is like riding a bicycle with one hand.... The board can kick up and jam or break a bit.

I would find the tips and tricks and read everything before attempting another carving. The manual helps too. This is a complicated piece of equipment and nothing like many have ever used.

If you don't read and understand the machine then you will post angry comments about what junk the machine is rather than admitting you never opened the manual.

Seen it a hundred times here....

Good Luck and WELCOME.

We are hear to HELP.

Any problem you have from the head getting stuck in the up position has been posted and answered here before.

Remember use " " in your search.

AL

That Scrap Red Oak needs to be FLAT not cupped, or tapered in thickness or it will jam.

As for the small image... If you select "STAY UNDER ROLLERS" then it takes the 7 inches from the supplied board and asked you "SCALE IMAGE ?" and you must have said YES.... Hence the small image.

hess
01-31-2009, 11:26 PM
I uderstand about 7 inch rule but does not make a lot of waste? how do you use the rest of the broad and is it just 3 1/2 on each end or 7 inch longer than your project

Thanks Hess

geekviking
01-31-2009, 11:34 PM
3 and a half on each end, if you want to save wood like I do, you'll want to build a sled for your projects to sit in. They usually include the 3 1/2 on each end to compensate. Do a search for sled and also check out this issue - http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf

I would suggest making it adjustible so you don't end up having tons of sleds lying around :)

smalltowngirl
02-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Not sure if this will help anyone, but it sure helped me out quite a bit. I decided one day, while having to search for help with my machine, to print out any articles that had machine care instructions or repair instructions and put them into a BIG binder. I put them into sheet protectors, so if I have to go outside with my book, I just wipe any dust off of it before I take it back into the house. I now have a manuel that has all the tips and tricks in it and anything else I feel that I will need for troubleshooting in the future. That way, all I have to do is get my book out first to see if the answer is in there. I keep it updated as often as I can. :-D

Kenm810
02-01-2009, 07:30 AM
This is a really good idea that several Folks have mentioned.
I've been using this machine and the CW Designer versions
since the end of 2006 and other Folks even longer.
I for one know I can't remember half the suggestions and explanations of how to
service, repair or use them, that have been posted over the years on this Forum.
As a result I sometimes find myself wasting time digging for answers to problems once,
twice or three times or more that I know I've read before.
A BIG binder, small binder or even just a folder on your computer,
where you can store and update these answers, photos, Tips and Tricks,
could help keep this wealth of information at your finger tips for the time,
when you or some other poor lost soul on the forum is in need of a little direction or guidance
with these LHR, CW and CC Machines.

oldfogey
02-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I have two binders full and some extra sheets ready for the third. There is quite a bit of material available. I even managed to put some material 2 pages per sheet to save bulk. My problem and that for many newbies is that there is no one place to go for all the .pdfs and other material for print out or if there is, it is still hidden. If I ever get a round 2 it I will consolidate the materials I have into one document that can be downloaded from one place. Keep watching.

MikeMcCoy
02-02-2009, 08:44 AM
I keep a big binder with the machine but I've recently started pasting misc things into a Word document. That way I keep the Table of Contents updated and it makes it a lot easier to find individual items like many of the "how to's" that show up in forum posts.

andes
02-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I keep a big binder with the machine but I've recently started pasting misc things into a Word document. That way I keep the Table of Contents updated and it makes it a lot easier to find individual items like many of the "how to's" that show up in forum posts.

I also found it handy to keep stuff in a binder or two. I also have a directory on my computer with info that I need to put in the binder. My goal is to some day put a good help book with index together for use, but finding the time it the problem lol.

LeighC
02-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Well, I bought one from Jason today at the St. Louis Wood Working show. I have been researching for over a year and dragged hubby to the table and wrestled the decision out of him. Jason did a great job answering all of our questions. I was ready to buy but I needed someone to convince hubby to let me, um, get us a new power tool/toy. We took advantage of the cash and carry and when we got home, got it out of the box, admired our shiny new machine and read the manual. We hope to hook up our DC tomorrow and see what we can do.

I called a friend who has a small gift shop and she can't wait to see what we will come up with for her. Ooh I can't wait!:-D

Ike
02-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, I bought one from Jason today at the St. Louis Wood Working show. I have been researching for over a year and dragged hubby to the table and wrestled the decision out of him. Jason did a great job answering all of our questions. I was ready to buy but I needed someone to convince hubby to let me, um, get us a new power tool/toy. We took advantage of the cash and carry and when we got home, got it out of the box, admired our shiny new machine and read the manual. We hope to hook up our DC tomorrow and see what we can do.

I called a friend who has a small gift shop and she can't wait to see what we will come up with for her. Ooh I can't wait!:-D

Leigh, welcome and congratulation! You have entered a world of fun!! One thing I would connect to AC, you need a bunch of batteries for DC!!! ;)

Oh welcome to fun, I like to have fun and teasing is a part of it!!! :D

Ike

Dan-Woodman
02-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Ike
I think she meens Dust Collector.
later Daniel

LeighC
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
yukyukyuk, Ike, thanks for the welcome! Of course I meant Dust Collector. I have a sense of humor so the batteries were a perfect reference. We made a simple sign this evening-Welcome to our Home on oak (it's what we have a ton of) and we really like the results. I used a small piece just to see what kind of detail would get lost or marred, not to bad on tear-out. Would have done more, but had to take pets to the vet and now I neeeed to make more $o I can pay for the vet bill! We already have folks lining up for "just a sample, you know like a sign for my house." I can't wait for tomorrow.

Ike
02-09-2009, 11:49 PM
yukyukyuk, Ike, thanks for the welcome! Of course I meant Dust Collector. I have a sense of humor so the batteries were a perfect reference. We made a simple sign this evening-Welcome to our Home on oak (it's what we have a ton of) and we really like the results. I used a small piece just to see what kind of detail would get lost or marred, not to bad on tear-out. Would have done more, but had to take pets to the vet and now I neeeed to make more $o I can pay for the vet bill! We already have folks lining up for "just a sample, you know like a sign for my house." I can't wait for tomorrow.
Thank you for understanding my warp humor!!! I know you did not mean direct current!

Ike