PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Upgrade

Hawg_man
09-11-2007, 07:01 AM
i just upgraded my desktop to Vista from Xp and thought i had done everything (backup, rtc.) correctly but after the upgrade i opened designer and...........the "You have 30 days left on this software " registration came up..............I had already resolved many other issues the upgrade created so was not real happy. Yes I did run the compatability wizard (LOL) prior to the upgrade and having over 20 years on computers thought I had done all the right moves.
I then made a call to LHR first thing Monday and was given new activation codes for Designer and my Centerline feature.............great service from LHR.
Just wanted to share the wonderful world of VISTA...........so after 6 hours of fixing upgrade issues I may now Design and carve again.

Bob:rolleyes:

BobHill
09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm also pretty well versed in computers and have always been one to dive right into a new Windows version. However, since my XP is doing very well, and it's stories like yours with programs I use a lot that has made me hesitant to upgrade to Vista. I'll wait until I need a new machine before using it, and perhaps by then all the programs that I have (well over 100) will also make it in the updates.

Bob

Dragon
09-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I installed the standard version on several different machines and got a different number from the web site for each one. The original registration number, which I wrote down on 1st go-round, would not be accepted when moving to the new machine.

Just a thought.

Rob

Jeff_Birt
09-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Dragon, your right it is machine dependent. Generally, upon installation the SW generates a random number that it keeps as its ID. When you register the software, this ID number is processed through another algorithm that generates the matching registration number.