PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted and Odd Wood Pattern - Ever See This?

911guy
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Hello all,

I cut a name using the "scrollsaw" font and I found this odd pattern on the edges of the entire nameplate (with the exception of the straight areas). I did it twice and it came out this way both times. It's uneven in one picture and just has strange looking nicks in the the other areas of the wood (all the way around the pattern).

I am using a 1/8 cutting bit into pine (I would think even with Oak I would have the same issue). Can someone please take a look and give me your best guess what you think it might be causing this or ever have this yourself? If so, what was the fix? As usual, thanks in advance!

Jeff_Birt
09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Your board is slipping slightly and/or the board is loosing contact with the board tracking sensor. This causes a small stair-step effect on one end of the board as the cutting bit is just a bit further out pass-to-pass, while the other end the bit is a bit further in pass-to-pass making the scallops. I can be caused by a build up of sawdust between the board and pressure rollers, worn down sand paper belts, incorrect down pressure or poor contact between the bottom of the board and the board tracking sensor. Do a search for 'stair stepping' and you'll find more information.

Dave-Carve
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Was It Cut From CW Onboard Font ,Or Picture Image Import ???
Looks Like Import From Other than designer Software ???
Might need to e cleaned up in picture program If Imported.

Our Once happen to me when useing "best Carve" Cut Out letters seem to work better on Normal Carve!!! How Thick is the board looks like a 1 1/2 thick ?? Did it happen all the way around the letter or just in Places

If you could post the File ,ptn jpeg or mpc.
Would be a LOT easier to help :)

Jeff U R Way To Fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe I Type Slow?????????

911guy
09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Your board is slipping slightly and/or the board is loosing contact with the board tracking sensor. This causes a small stair-step effect on one end of the board as the cutting bit is just a bit further out pass-to-pass, while the other end the bit is a bit further in pass-to-pass making the scallops. I can be caused by a build up of sawdust between the board and pressure rollers, worn down sand paper belts, incorrect down pressure or poor contact between the bottom of the board and the board tracking sensor. Do a search for 'stair stepping' and you'll find more information.

Thanks for the response Jeff. As a matter of fact, I have been having issues with the pressure rollers going down all the way to the board. I often have to use the white lithium grease to lubricate the posts. In addition, my sandpaper belts have worn down badly. I am waiting for two sets (1 to use, 1 spare) to arrive from CW anyday now. Guess that answers that, appreciate the feedback!

911guy
09-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Was It Cut From CW Onboard Font ,Or Picture Image Import ???

If you could post the File ,ptn jpeg or mpc.
Would be a LOT easier to help :)

Jeff U R Way To Fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe I Type Slow?????????

Yes, Jeff is quick!

Dave, I have posted my pattern. It is not an import, it's CW onboard font and it's only 3/4" depth. It looks much bigger because I shot a closeup of it. Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
09-10-2007, 09:46 PM
I believe it is a function for the "Stepper Motors" Like the sweep second hand on a basic digital analog watch, you see the second hand make steps. I believe a selling point of a Rolex is 6 steps in 5 seconds or something like that vice 5 in 5 seconds.

Back on topic... The curved cuts require the X and Y to step in increments and that is what you are seeing.

A Servo System would be less noticeable as it would be more of a continuous motion, the steps you are seeing is the "Resolution of the steps"

I could be WAY OFF with this but my Navy Analog Computer background and Sony Fanuc Robot and Factory Automation is my source on this. From the way back machine.....

Anyone else?

AL

Jeff_Birt
09-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Al,

I think all three axis of the CW are servos. The Z and Y are for sure. It's been a while since I peeked at the X but as I recall it looked like the same motor.

woodknack
09-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Anyone think that it might just be the font...:rolleyes:

try a different font and see if it comes out the same. ;)

Digitalwoodshop
09-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Just talked to PC at LHR and he asked the Owner who just happened to be in the area and.... The X, Y, and Z are 100% SERVO Systems...... And that folks is the FINAL ANSWER.

SO in the Cash Cab, AL has 2 Strikes and 100 Blocks to go..... One more STRIKE and HE IS A WALKING....

Open Mouth Insert FOOT.....

Better to keep your mouth shut and be considered an ID Ten Tango than open one's mouth and remove all doubt..... :)

And the new improved cable that supplies the Z Data and power is in and being shipped to me.... For my Air Carve problem.

AL

Jeff_Birt
09-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Al, can you take pics of the new cable when you get it?

Digitalwoodshop
09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Sure.... No problem.... for the guy with the most pictures on the forum...

AL

oldjoe
09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
one note about fonts designer does not have any fonts in its program it pulls them from your computer. This is what I think Pkunk has written on occasion.

pkunk
09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Fonts are very 'imperfect'. Some are better than others as far as making them appear smooth when you make them large. Expanded fonts tend to have those jagged edges.

911guy
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Well thanks for all your tips and thoughts. If nothing else, just ordered me some sandpaper attachments for my scroll saw - will end up shavings them down if all else fails.