PDA

View Full Version : Three machines - all bad

BigMax
09-09-2007, 05:37 PM
As I a new owner of a CarveWright (CompuCarve ?) machine from Sears, I have experienced a phenomenal number of problems with the machines. I also realize that I may not be as skilled in their repair as many other members – but I am becoming more skilled with each new problem.

The first machine lasted approximately 20 minutes of use before I started receiving an error that instructed me to “close the cover and press continue”. While it was very obvious that the cover was not open, I opened it, cleaned the interior, and closed it several times with the same result. I could never progress past that point and could not determine how to deactivate the sensor. Since the machine was under a 90-day warranty from Sears, it was more prudent for me to box it up and return it to Sears for replacement.

The second machine logged 2:44 of usage before it began to give problems with the Edge Sensor. Basically it required me to “Clear Edge Sensor”. I had previously discovered a small piece of plastic that with a little investigative work discovered it had come off the edge sensor. I would clean the sensor and could make some progress until the sensor went out permanently. During the process, the right-side head became stuck in the up position and would not release according to the suggested procedure in the operators manual. This, in turn, caused a problem when I boxed this machine for return to Sears.

The third machine was used yesterday. It ran for approximately 20 minutes before I discovered that the bit was not touching the board. Again, investigation lead to the edge sensor. After aborting the project, I found that the plastic cover had come off again. I cannot determine any flaw in the work piece that would have caused this. It had carved a drawing and was starting to work on the text.

I really want this machine to work, but I am becoming very discouraged and may return it and get a refund from Sears. Am I the only one that has had these problems? Is this another disaster with a product assembled in China?

My first question is can the edge sensor plastic cover be glued back on and what suggestions does anyone offer to accomplish this? If the cover breaks up, what can be done to fix this without returning the machine for repair.

Secondly, the forum, at times, alludes to a place that specialized machine repair procedures can be downloaded. Is there an actual website or have I misinterpreted something?

Thirdly, is there any “quick and good” way to restart a project when something like the above happens? I can only logically assume that I would have to do some redesign work and eliminate the parts that had been completed. Any other suggestions?

Jeff_Birt
09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
First by 'Edge Sensor' are you mean the 'Board Edge Sensor', that is the sensor attached to the bottom of the Y-truck? If so then what cover are you referring to? It has a clear plastic window on the bottom and thumbnail sized flat plastic cover on the side. I don't believe that either will come out unless you remove the sensor.

The board edge sensor needs to be cleaned after EVERY use. If you are carving something very dusty, like MDF, without a down draft you may have more trouble with it getting dirty. Some folks have left out the clear window and just clean it with a shot of compressed air after every use.

oldjoe
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Bigmax I sorry to hear about all your problems but if you read thru the forum there is one piece of advice that seems to pop up allot regarding taking the machine back to Sears. Yes they are more than happy to return it for you and get a new one on order but you might just get another bad machine. Your best bet is to call LHR and talk to there techs they might just have you ship the machine back to them they will make all the necessary repairs and ship the same machine back to you and you should have all your problems cured. As far as restarting a project I have done it when a bit came loose and fell out during a carve was able to just go to designer and edit out what was already carved and then reload it. But if your board sensor is not working right then I am not sure what you should do. You might try the jog to start feature but I have not used that yet. Some members use it all the time they maybe able to walk you thru that better.
Good luck hope this was a help to you

Kenm810
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Bigmax,

These are the real Techs to talk to,
they do all the service on the CC and CW Machines.

CarveWright
You can contact CarveWright by phone at
1-713-473-6572 1-713 473-6545 or 1-800-573-1226
email at support@carvewright.com.
New hours are Monday-Saturday 9a-6p Central Time.

Tell them exactly what’s happening or what happened.
Most likely they’ll be able to talk you through the problem, send you a new part, or email you a prepaid shipping label to return you CW or CC machine to LHR for repair or replacement while in warranty. (LHR support for 1 year or 200 hours which ever comes first.)

Traveler
09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
The CC/CW is a great machine when it works. I think you have the right philosophy. If it doesn't work, send it back. That is really the only way to make the manufacturers produce quality products. In a 'quality class' I took years ago, they said, "The reason we get bad quality is that we put up with it."

It seems that you have had more than your fair share of bad luck, but don't give up. Sooner or later, you will get one that works for more than 90 days. Until then, keep sending them back!

T

Digitalwoodshop
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
The first machine was an easy fix as the plug that you remove if you ever have to remove the top cover goes to the left lid switch. Here is a picture of the socket that the plug is pushed into. It will sometimes vibrate loose as you shouldn't glue it as you need to remove it to remove the top cover.

The second machine being stuck in the up position. It is in the manual that there is a hole in the jacking screw that lets you reach into the machine where the board goes in and with a 1/8 inch drill bit or Allen turn the screw. It even has a arrow with the direction arrow saying "Release" or lower the head.

The 3rd machine just needs a new board detector and they will gladly send you one. I just replaced one but I paid for the sensor as I have 444 hours on my machine. My window popped off after I pried it off to clean it.

Good Luck.

Need a quick answer e mail me. My computer is on 13 hours a day while I work or listen to internet radio.

Reading about the last 3 months of the troubleshooting section will help you deal with the next 10 problems you will have with the machine. Most of the problems you have had, most of us have also had them. It's a learning curve, knowing that the color of the wood can cause the board detector error. The board measuring and over a knot in the wood causes errors. Masking tape over knots of at the edges of the board can help. I cover cedar deck boards in blank newsprint to get them to work being so dark.

Good Luck, WE are here to help. Just ask as you did.

AL

digitalwoodshop@aol.com

The first picture shows where that plug is for the left cover open switch. In back where the black cutting cable comes out. Look in the slits of the back cover and see it. Cranking the head up and you can reach it through the bottom under the rollers if your lucky.

The second picture is the hole in the shaft of the jacking gear to lower the stuck in the up position head... Plus the sticker that tells you which way to turn it....

The 3rd picture was Green PVC Deck Boards like Trex. Covered with masking tape so the board detector could see it.

The 4th picture is a Green PVC Deck board covered in blue painters tape so the board detector could see it. Plus I just sprayed the white paint then pealed off the tape when the paint was dry.

The 5th is a big dark weathered board covered with blank news print. Sold at the newspaper as end of rolls for 3 bucks... Good Deal....

PhotoProf
09-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I appreciate your pain!!!. Sears has been great in handling return issues. I feel sorry for them but I feel that if I'm spending $$$$ dollars on something, it should work for a little while out of the box. I do have hope for this machine and don't want to give up on the technology/concept. It's just too bad that quality has been such an issue... I know that the expense of building it in the U.S. may be more but how many trips/parts/headaches would it take to be worth it?? Maybe it's just the company they are working with. I use inkjet printers that are pretty sophisticated and they seem to hold up well... (they may not be of Chinese manufacturer but somebody knows how to make a quality product).

castingman
09-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Photoprof Hang in there, I have sent mine back twice, Since it's last return it has been running flawlessly. The people on this forum are the best ! Without it I would have given up as well as I am not computer savy. Michael

dongear@earthlink.net
09-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Big Max,
I sympathize with you. I just sat down to look through the forum before boxing up my second machine to send it back to CarveWright for the fourth time.
I really wanted the machine, and think it is great on the rare occassions when it actually works. But those occassions have been far too few. Of the 30-40 machines in my shop, this one has about 10000 times more down time than all the rest put together.
I have not complained before, I attempted to make the repairs or send the machine back. But I am thoroughly disgusted. I thought this machine would be far more reliable, and able to be used for personal projects as well as some business orders. But I can't offer my clients anything made by the CarceWright, because I can't rely on it. I have an order right now that I can't meet, and maybe never will.
Don

liquidguitars
09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Don,

some of us have over 300 hrs on our units.

Of the 30-40 machines in my shop, this one has about 10000 times more down time than all the rest put together

any shop that has over 30 machines running in production but can not make this little CW work sounds odd to me what are you working with?

But I can't offer my clients anything made by the CarceWright, because I can't rely on it. I have an order right now that I can't meet, and maybe never will.

When contracting your work did you think about learning how to run this CNC frist? one of the pit falls of getting a new tool but not knowing how to use it.

but keep with it, it will work..

LG

PhotoProf
09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
castingman...

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've been frustrated but am not ready to give up. I am banking on this current machine being a keeper since I want to do some creative work with it while I'm on a sabbatical from the university. If things go south, I will be disappointed! So much creative potential. The machine, although complicated in what it does, seems relatively simple and straight forward in construction. I am puzzled why it couldn't be practically "bullet-proof."

BigMax
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I will verify that the Board edge sensor is working tomorrow and then I will make my decision about returning it for refund or replacement.

I think I have about memorized the operator's manual having read it through 'cover-to-cover' several times.

Sears has been more than patient with replacement...

BigMax

BigMax
09-13-2007, 01:00 PM
The board sensor appears to be okay according to the configuration test results.

However, this is what is happening now. After checking the sensor, I retried my project(s). In every case when it got to the point where it measures the center of the board, the machine would just hang. The LED display shows "Measuring board...".

Then I attempted calibrating offsets the machine would cut to the bottom of the board and then would continue to make a cutting pass.

Also had a "failure (2) reboot system" message on one attempt.

BigMax

Jon Jantz
09-13-2007, 04:04 PM
BigMax, I didn't read through the whole thread due to the whining and crying (not necessarily you) that typically is contained in these posts... ;-) so someone may have already suggested this...

One thing I've noticed when I have board sensor errors is that sometimes my piece of wood is to blame. My machine is very sensitive and will error out if my board is too dark or if it has the slightest warp to it. So sometimes when I have multiple errors on a workpiece, I'll try another board and the machine will work fine. I've had quite a few problems with my machine throughout it's lifetime, but a large percentage of them can be tracked back to operator error.

If your piece of wood is too dark, it helps to run a piece of light masking tape around the outside edge of your wood to help the sensor recognize the edge.

Hang in there man... it's worth it when you get up the learning curve a little...

oldjoe
09-13-2007, 05:09 PM
BigMax have you tried to use option 7 and just measure the board? I have a problem sometimes when I start a project the board starts to measure just fine then when it drops off the right side roller as your looking at the keypad it the board just kind of sits there. Sometimes a spotlight on the board will help sometimes only giving it one click helps sometime nothing helps. But if I do an option 7 before I load my project it runs thru find

RC Woodworks
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Big Max, been there done that! I returned 3 machines before I decided to learn what was going on. My first CC was a lemon, but the the other 2 were workable. I just didn't take the time or had enough patience to deal with it.

As forth to the edge sensor check to see if the rubber gromet on the brass roller didn't slip back. And for the board sensor fine dust will block the sensor from detecting the board to measure.

With this machine you can't expect it to be trouble free. I have a $10,000 ShopBot that has given me trouble while trying to put it together! My Uncle who owns a sign shop owns $25,000 CNC and at first had a lot of problems.

What am I saying? Have some patience and learn to fix the small problems by routine cleaning after each project. Simple maintence by keeping the flex shaft lubed and other parts needing lubed.

Then if you need to send it to LHR and they replace all the components they know causes problems. Like my first CC the was a lemon if you have a machine like that? Then it is time to exchange it!

I made the choice do I want to deal with all the little problems or wash my hands of this thing? I own 2 CC so you know my decision! I use mine commercially and it can handle the load, but it is too slow. For me I may need a faster CNC for the fairs I make signs. But if speed is not an issue for you, this machine is a great product for the cost!

Well I hope that helped, remember we help each other and the staff at LHR are great. So with all these resourses give your CC a chance! :)

Rick

Paul Brown
09-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Big Max. This is my first time to post as I am a new member and just joined the forum. But I'v had the same problem with my machine. I bought mine June 15 of '07, and have every problem in the world wrong with it. The last time the board sensor needed to be checked, it was the ribbon cable that runs behind the rotor head. ( They thought.) Heck they changed so many things on mine I can't even remember all of them. I only live 90 miles from Houston though. So I just get in the ole truck and go and have them fix it. The first time they worked on it the replaced the Z motor, Z truck, and power supply and board sensor. Power supply had a short which caused Y stall.The second trip, the capacitor was bad, the third trip was for melted flex shaft. They also replaced the FFC cable, Z motor, spindle shaft, and the quick change. So, I've had my share of problems with the Sears machine. I was at the point not know what to do to try and get my money back, or get a new machine. But talking to TC down in Houston, talked me into trying keeping mine, Hell, it's almost brand new as much stuff that they have changed in it. It's running fine right now, been almost a month since I've had to go back to Houston. But I tell you, I've mad some nice things with this little machine while it's running. Only thing is that I'm no PC wiz, and thats the majorest problem. I'm learning little by little. I've been reading the forum for a while and glancing thru some of the projects and reading bout some of the problems and solutions. Will be asking lot of question in the future. Oh yeah, thanks so much to TC, Neal, Wes, Dave, and all the other folks over in Houston that took care of my machine problems. Just finished nother project whithout down time. Guess I'd better go for now, not getting enough sleep since the CC came along. Oh yeah, if ya move to the Gulf Coast, ya can get plenty of wood to have milled after each and every hurricane. lol. Good luck Big Max. Paul Brown

mcanelly
09-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Big Max,
I have had alot of the same problems. I live in Alaska, so I would obviously rather fix it myself than pay $800.00 round trip shipping. Some of the fixes that have helped were: pulling out the board sensor and blowing it out: I've had to take off the small plastic shield that covers the infrared sensor and it worked great. My shield had a small film on it, and that seemed to be enough to keep it from getting a reading from the sensor. I talked to T.C and Dave at Carvewright and they were more than helpful. They are sending extra parts to keep me going.
I have a sign carving business and I've been doing some fairs with my machines. The machines may be slow on some projects, however I have 3 machines and at least 2 are running stong at any given time.
I did start with compucarve and was very frustrated, so I orderd 2 more directly from Carvewright. To be honest with you, I've had the same problems with both. It does take some patience and alot of learning but when you get it figured out, the machine will make some unbelievable projects. My father has been carving signs by hand for 25 years and when I introduced this machine to his customers his business has tripled.
I hope everything works out for you.
Jim