PDA

View Full Version : Squeak from Z-Truck bearings

mtylerfl
09-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello,

As I was scanning an object today, I noticed a very faint, intermittent squeaking sound as the z-truck was moving up and down. Sounded like it was coming from one of the bearings, but could not pinpoint the actual source.

The scan stopped with a z-error about 25% into it. I applied a very thin coat of 3-in-one oil to the z-truck rails, thinking maybe that would help. I restarted the scan from the beginning and it completed just fine.

However, I tried another scan immediately therafter and got a z-error about 30% into it. Didn't notice any squeaking sound this time, but wasn't really paying attention. I had not been near the machine when it stopped. I restarted the scan twice more, got z-errors twice more.

Do the bearings themselves need periodic lubrication? ...or am I barking up the wrong tree as to the cause of the z-errors and the faint squeaking sound I heard initially?

Skyhawk
09-07-2007, 07:44 AM
You may want to check the bearings for binding...as the bearings freeze the outer race won't spin freely and will cause some squeeking. Moving the z-truck manually should feel smooth without any jumpiness (if thats a word)

mtylerfl
09-07-2007, 02:39 PM
You may want to check the bearings for binding...as the bearings freeze the outer race won't spin freely and will cause some squeeking. Moving the z-truck manually should feel smooth without any jumpiness (if thats a word)

Hello Jim,

Z-truck seems to move fine - I did not notice any binding or jumpiness.

However, the problem seems to be intermittent so it could be I'm just not catching it at the right time to pinpoint the source.

Digitalwoodshop
09-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Since your not cutting pop off the 4 roller dust caps and try it without them. They have a plastic surface that drags along the position rods.

AL

mtylerfl
09-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Since your not cutting pop off the 4 roller dust caps and try it without them. They have a plastic surface that drags along the position rods.

AL

Thanks Al, I'll try running it without the plastic 'sweeps'.

(I actually removed 'em to inspect the rollers but put 'em back on.)