PDA

View Full Version : Merging patterns

dannirr
09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Is there a way to intelligently merge patterns that have overlapping similar profiles.

For example: if you create a design for a picture frame, each of the 4 sides would be the same profile but at different angles to each other. Instead of cutting each side and then mitering the corners and joinging each side, can you place the pattern in each of the 4 positions and have the software "merge" the overlapping areas into that corner?

Danni

dpowli
09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Danni -
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but I believe you will get the results you want by putting 2 identical patterns at right angles to each other to form the corner. The resuting corner profile will be a combination of the 2 patterns which will be different form the single pattern, but each corner will be the same. The other option is to use one of the corner patterns in Designer.

dannirr
09-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Looking at the image below:

There are 2 rectangles - each has the identical pattern, but turned 90 degrees. Where they overlap, the form a new checkerboard pattern.

Can this software rather merge the 2 rectangles such that the patterns in each line up rather than overlap - so in the below example the carved lines would be continuous around the corner?

Danni

Jeff_Birt
09-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Try playing with the 'clipping' setting and see what that does for you.

dannirr
09-06-2007, 08:44 PM
No - clipping simply excludes one part of one of the patterns. I want the software to use inteligence to merge the two.

Thanks

Danni

Jeff_Birt
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
No - clipping simply excludes one part of one of the patterns

Clipping actually clips the pattern to another object, even a carve region. If you want to merge things at an angle you have to come up with a way to let Designer know what you are thinking. In the example I attached I created two carve regions (two sides of a frame). Then the patterns were placed in the carve regions, the feathering set to 'None' and then the pattern clipping set to "Inclusive'.

The pattern I chose was not the best but I think it demonstrates the idea.

dpowli
09-06-2007, 10:12 PM
The only way I know to accomplish what you're after is to draw 4 trapizoids (1 for each side) so that the intersection of each trapizoid actuslly forms what amounts to a corner miter. Then you can apply a surface or texture, but not a pattern

Jeff_Birt
09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Then you can apply a surface or texture, but not a pattern

Uh.....dpowli, please see my post right above yours. You can do the same with a pattern if you clip it to the carve region. :p

dpowli
09-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Jeff -
When I started the reply I did not see your post. Was my first time uploading a pic from designer and it took me a while. Saw your post when I posted.

Denny