PDA

View Full Version : Loose screw

jspringertx
09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
I have discovered a loose screw on the Z truck and I can't get it to stay tightened. It is the screw in the bottom left side of the photo.

I contacted tech support, but I am wondering if someone has experienced this problem and discovered a way to fix it. I can use Locktite, but I realize that the screw holds a turning wheel and I don't want to freeze up the wheel.

If the screw gets loose the truck jumps offthe track and causes problems.

JOHNB
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
If It's Still Under Warranty, They Will Want You To Send In Machine. I Had To? If Out Of Warranty, Search For "digitalworkshop" Photos And Instructions.

Kenm810
09-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I had the same screw come loose a couple of times,
I snugged it up a little so nothing wobbled, and put a drop of blue Loc-tite
just on the head of the screw not on any of the threads.
that was 3 weeks ago and it's still holding.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif It worked for me.

jspringertx
09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will try the blue locktite. I did snug up the screw without the locktite, but I will loosen it up and apply the locktite.

As side note of humor....
I was so concerned about the loose screw that I lost my 90 degree bit. I lifed up the unit and shook it thinking that I had lost it in the machine (I have done that before). I spent a good 30 minutes probing the sides with a magnet and then disovered that I had the bit in my pocket. I guess I am lucky that I didn't jam my hand in my pocket or I wouldn't be laughing now. I guess I was the loose screw this time.

Digitalwoodshop
09-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Your right, if still under warranty it's a trip back. If out of warranty you pay for the trip plus the fix. I got them to send me bearings but I hear that might not happen again.

The only way to tighten the screw is to completely remove the Z head. The 2 bearings on the right side of the Z Truck have a place to put a wrench. They are Eccentric bearings and to remove the truck you turn the bearings to the most open position. Put tape on the 2 metal rails to keep them from dropping off when the head is removed.

You must remove the Z motor pack too to get it out. Not a project for the faint of heart.

I ended up replacing my bearings and since the screw heads are so soft stripped them. Drilled out the other 3. I ordered screws when I ordered the bearings.

I damaged a bearing trying to tighten the bearing while holding the nut with a scribe....

Here are some pictures.

AL

jspringertx
09-07-2007, 10:00 AM
You are absolutely correct about the soft screw. I tightened the screw with a small screwdriver and the head is now shot. I did apply some blue Loc-Tite and will watch the unit closely.

I will save your file for future reference.

Thanks!

jspringertx
09-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech support said that the loose screw was the operator, but I should bring my unit in for repair. Oh well, Pasadena is lovely this time of year.

Reset
09-07-2007, 02:02 PM
The owner of my CompuCarve has been told he has some loose screws too...would be interesting to know how many other CompuCarve/CarveWright owners have this same "problem". ::lol:

Tommy

JOHNB
09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
What If- We Take That Little Pin (top Of Z-truck)out? Slip Off Z-truck, Repair, Slip Z-truck Back On, Insert Pin. Budda- Bing, Budda- Boom. Easy As Pie??
ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS???

jspringertx
09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't think I am ready to attack that problem just yet. I am less than 50 miles from Pasadena and they have better tools and skinnier fingers than I do.

Besides, they are great people in Tech support.

I can nap on the way over there as my truck knows the way.

Jeff_Birt
09-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Nope, taking the Pin out wont do it (I have tried before). You have to back off the eccentric bearing axles. If you loosen the Z-axis drive belt tensioner (loosen Z-truck first), and let the metal rail on the right side drop out there is enough room to get the belt of the drive pulley without having to completely remove the Z-motor assembly.

Kenm810
09-07-2007, 03:56 PM
jspringertx,

When you go,Say Hi to everyone at LHR from the rest of us troglodytes
that live to far away to make a personal appearance at their door step with our machine under our arm.
And while your there see if you peek over a few shoulders to see what's new or in the works at CW.
Debriefing to be held promptly upon your return to the forum when you get back. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Digitalwoodshop
09-07-2007, 04:08 PM
That is a great idea.... I could not get the pin out..... A resourceful person would remove the pin and replace it with a 90 degree bracket and drill and tap threads into the where the pin WAS....

You would still need to pull the Z motor to get the belt off.

AL

jspringertx
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I took my machine to CarveWright and the great technicians repaired my unit in a few minutes. They had to replace one of the bearings and replaced the screw that had stripped when I attempted to tighten it.

It doesn't seem like a real tough fix to make, but it helps if you have the right tools and small fingers. I suggest you contact support if you are experiencing problems with a wobble on the Z truck.

There are 4 bearings and if they go bad the Z truck will do some strange things.

Thanks for everyone's ideas!

jspringertx
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
jspringertx,

When you go,Say Hi to everyone at LHR from the rest of us troglodytes
that live to far away to make a personal appearance at their door step with our machine under our arm.
And while your there see if you peek over a few shoulders to see what's new or in the works at CW.
Debriefing to be held promptly upon you return to the forum when you get back. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

I enjoyed my brief visit with the great people at CarveWright. I was very pleased to see that the backlog of repaired units is considerably down from my last visit. They really have some top notch people working on the units. I saw "BARD" again and he is alive and well. He floats between the phone and tech support.

They are now selling their own version of the unit called "CarveWright. I was told that there was little difference in the machine and that they would continue to market the CompuCarve also.

Chris Rawls just returned from China and he reports that his visit with the manufacturer went very well. They are making great strides in the area of quality control which will make all of our lives better.

Now, if they can just improve the parking situation.

I did get my shots updated and my passport renewed for my visit into Pasadena, Texas.

By the way, I didn't have my machine under my arm...it is too heavy. Besides they are very helpful and take it inside with a cart.

Kenm810
09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
"As he peered through the small crack in the door, he was asked what did He see, --- He replied--- Marvelous things."

Thanks jspringertx, for the glowing report, it sure helped boost my morale.
And it's nice to hear thing are running smoothly on the tech benches.
Also about the great strides in the area of quality control,
although I do have to admit it’s the operator that makes the Z truck do some
strange things on my machine most of the time.

Anyway,

Quote-- By the way, I didn't have my machine under my arm...it is too heavy.---
A come on, if your like me, you can probably remember the days when you could carry two machines, -- one under each arm, from the far end of the parking lot
–- up hill --- in knee deep snow ----- wait –- they don’t have snow in Texas this time of year --do they ---well tumble weeds and sage brush then! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Ron Baird
09-11-2007, 08:11 PM
If the screw comes loose it lets the bearing loose its adjustment which keeps the truck tight on the rails. The proper adjustment for the bearing is very tight but you should be just able to spin the bearing against the rail with your finger (only slightly with much pressure). You need to put a thin 10mm. wrench on the adjusting nut of the bearing and turn it until the adjustment is correct. Do not tighten the screw, turn the screw until snug and then hold it in position and tighten the nut. You may have to back off the nut and reposition the screw to acheive tightness and the correct adjustment at the same point. A small amount of blue locktite should be applied to the threads of the screw.