PDA

View Full Version : Carving off the side (HELP)

Dan Kitka
09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I have started having some issue with the machine moving the carve area to one side after most of the project is already cut. I have been cutting some plaques for a baseball team and the lowered area is fine for most of the project then it begins to shift both sides to one side. This is driving be nuts. I cannot find and error. I have the current firmware. I have already made 6 of these with no problem.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. I like what this thing can do but I am pretty fed up with fixing it. This is the fourth major problem in 102 hours.

Thanks,
Dan

mtylerfl
09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I have started having some issue with the machine moving the carve area to one side after most of the project is already cut. I have been cutting some plaques for a baseball team and the lowered area is fine for most of the project then it begins to shift both sides to one side. This is driving be nuts. I cannot find and error. I have the current firmware. I have already made 6 of these with no problem.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. I like what this thing can do but I am pretty fed up with fixing it. This is the fourth major problem in 102 hours.

Thanks,
Dan

Hello Dan,

Sorry you are having problems.

Please post a picture or two so we can see the issue you are describing. I'm sure some of us have some theories, but a picture is extremely helpful to really see what's going on.

Hope we can help!

Digitalwoodshop
09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
I chased this problem trying to make the Train Tracks on the Donor Boards. The project was shifting on the board. Runed 4 boards that became Bears later.

What I found was as the project worked back and forth in X or Sand Paper Belts it worked itself away from the brass roller edge and finally got so far out the brass roller was not touching so it kept moving the board all the way out of the unit.

MY FIX was replacing the Sand Paper Belts, both of them. That solved the problem.

Something to look at is the Y encoder data to be sure it is not skipping some numbers and shifting your project. Use Options, 7, and call up the x and y and manually move the Y and watch it count. If good it will count up from the left side to the right side 0 to 13.000 something. If you start in the middle it will be + or - numbers. The numbers don't matter it's just counting without skipping numbers.

My money is on the Sand Paper Belts.... Stretched slightly on one end causing the movement.

Good Luck,

AL

Jeff_Birt
09-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Al made a good point about checking the sandpaper belts, they are a consumable item. It might also be wise to check the down pressure while your at it, using bathroom scales under the head. Should be about 85# when the ratchet clicks.

Digitalwoodshop
09-06-2007, 08:35 AM
I ripped one at about 60 hours and changed both. They lasted until 425 hours. Looked good but were smoother and the tracking was going back and forth telling me they were breaking down and stretching.

Sometimes the wood ruined cost more than a new set of belts.

AL