PDA

View Full Version : Carving surfaces

aa_abtahi
09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi;
I am trying to carve a simple airfoil (airplane wing) shape. The software does not support such a surface, so I tried various tricks. Using the included "dome" shapes will not work because all you can specify is the depth and height of the dome, but not the surface angles at the edges of the dome. Next I tried creating a series of vectors across the board each at different depth to approximate the shape. This would work but it would be faster to gnaw the wood away because each vector has to be drawn and specified individually. Has anyone figured out how to:
create a surface like the dome but maybe flat and at an angle to the surface of the board (I could compose the airfoil shape out of a series of angled panels)or:
import coordinates (start, end, depth) for cutting vectors into the program from a file in a more common format such as .csv (I could write a program to create a .csv file from the shape and then import) or:
some other way to carve simple shapes such as cones, flat angled panels, cylinders etc.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Aki

Gman_Ind
09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Maybe wolfies can get the job done for you> I have not tried but was thinking of making some custom boomerangs,check this thread (http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4221)

mtylerfl
09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi;
I am trying to carve a simple airfoil (airplane wing) shape. The software does not support such a surface, so I tried various tricks. Using the included "dome" shapes will not work because all you can specify is the depth and height of the dome, but not the surface angles at the edges of the dome. Next I tried creating a series of vectors across the board each at different depth to approximate the shape. This would work but it would be faster to gnaw the wood away because each vector has to be drawn and specified individually. Has anyone figured out how to:
create a surface like the dome but maybe flat and at an angle to the surface of the board (I could compose the airfoil shape out of a series of angled panels)or:
import coordinates (start, end, depth) for cutting vectors into the program from a file in a more common format such as .csv (I could write a program to create a .csv file from the shape and then import) or:
some other way to carve simple shapes such as cones, flat angled panels, cylinders etc.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Aki

Hello Aki,

I'm not aware of any simple method to do what you describe using Designer in its current 'flavor'.

aa_abtahi
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks, I tried to look at Wolfie's program but it doesn't seem to be able to solve this problem. Next I tried to understand the file format they keep the projects in, but I am not hacker enough to get anywhere with that.
I have not bought this machine yet, but it seems like such a great product and it is such a shame that they have so solidly paired it with specialized software. Seems like I will have to bite the bullet and buy the much more expensive systems that allow access to the file structure and Gcode type commands.

Thanks again

Aki

Kenm810
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Aki,

I know these are over simplistic
But their the only thing regarding a wing shape
that I have seen on the forum so far.
two sided carve could concave the under side of the wing to give you an airfoil shaped wing.

aa_abtahi
09-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Ken;

This file uses one of the tricks I originally tried (the "domed" surfaces). When I saw your reply I realized that the approach that would work in a reasonable amount of time is to combine a bunch of domed surfaces with vector carvings in an "additive" mode to replicate the shape of the airfoil I need. The one I am working on right now is symmetrical so it is convex on both top and bottom. Eventually I want to be able to produce a variety of airfoils, even tapered wings. The man at carvewright told me that in about a year they might come up with something that can import coordinates or Gcodes, but for now I could just do rectangular wings.
Considering that other machines that can do this cost well over 10k I will try to generate a carving file that could be used with this machine.
Thank You very much for your help

Aki