PDA

View Full Version : Can this be fixed?

Lin
09-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I went yard saling this week-end to look for items that I could scan. Picked up a few items and the below pic from the scanner software is one of them. The piece was quite a bit taller than 1" so I picked a point within the piece it self to set the depth to thinking I would still get it all and just miss the top of the head of the front cherub. The scan depth came out to .985" so I was pretty close but I didn't pick up some of the inner areas that are obviously deeper than my set point...not by much but still deeper. Is there any way I can fix this. I tried to paint in the areas but it was quite noticeably different than the rest of the piece...being much smoother looking using the paint brush. Any one out there ran into this and can help. I can't post the PTN file...Its to big for the forum.
Lin

Jeff_Birt
09-03-2007, 09:36 AM
You can actually scan close to 1.5" deep. The trick is to make sure that the probe body will not hit the object being scanned when the probe decends to the lowest point of the object.

Dave-Carve
09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi Lin
I Gave It A try Here it is
Needs a little more work.
Somebody with the probe software can probably do easyer and faster im still stuck with photo editor for now:(
Hope this helps

Lin
09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks Dave and Thanks Jeff...I didn't realize I could scan deeper than 1"...Might just have to try it again...How do you make sure you don't hit the probe body?
I tried to fill in with the paint brush in the probe software but the brush was much smoother than the scanned piece...so didn't look right
Going to check out your PTN Dave.
Lin

BobHill
09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Lin,

Prior to setting the Probe perameters, do a manual lowering of the tip into the deepest part of the object to be probed and see if the Probe parts it any other part of the object to be probed. If not, then you should be set to go.

Bob

Lin
09-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Bob, Might seem like an obvious question...but never having done this before...how do I manually lower z axis to check?....Do you mean push it down by hand or some how thru the keypad?
Having worked with industrial CNC's I normally handle all the axis and can move as slow or fast as I want...can this be done thru the keypad on the CW?
Lin

Lin
09-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Dave, I like it...don't know how you did it but looks great..Hubby says lets carve it. I will invert it and take out the checkered background you picked up from the pic and maybe carve it this week.
Might not have to rescan it...but might just to see if I can pull it off now that I know I can go over 1".
Lin
PS...Got several items from yard saling to put thru the scanner...hope they all com out good. Spent more on gas than the items we picked up...lol

BobHill
09-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Lin,

Turn off the machine and it should move easier, but you can move the Z axis up or down without doing any harm at any time, just like you can move the whole head across at any time as long as it's not running (easier, of course, the machine is turned off). You can't move the z axis with the keyboard.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM
You could put the head in the deepest position or the tallest position then select options, 7, and sensor data. At that moment the Z axis will read 0. Move the head and you have your range. Since it Zero's the moment you turn it on, where ever it is at that moment is Zero. It's only a counter. If it is in mid position then you get + and - numbers.

AL

Marcitright
10-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi My name is Marc and I've been lurking around for a month now. Have carved 4 or 5 test projects. Decided to remake moldings in my old house, got a scanner didn't work. Never saw it auto recognize the probe. Z sensor broke of during a caring found out. Got LHR to send a "work around kit" got it installed yesterday. Seems to go to 1)Scan and do the correct homing and then ask for 1st position and 2nd position. My question is 2 questions.

1. probe is being plunged too far into my wood trim and not stopping when it hit the surface on both starting points and ending points (piece hot glued in my sled), why? Why doesn't it stop and not damage the piece. it pierces it.
2. I take the probe out of the chuck and remove the mini plug from the work around extension cable. turn off and on.. but machine still has 1)Scan accessory.
ie I can't carve.. if it thinks the probe is still attached.
sorry so long.. im new to all this. posting stuff
Marc

Jeff_Birt
10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Marc,

As I recall the new probe wiring required upgrading the firmware to 1.121. Have you done this? Then I think you have to tell the machine which style of wiring you have (new or old).

After you make sure you have the correct firmware and probe settings then go into the sensor check menu and scroll to the probe and test to see if it is seeing the probe deflection correctly.

Lin
10-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Also...after you go thru Jeff's post...if you havent' ever used your probe before...Do yourself a favor and watch the little video on Carvebuddys site for tips on how to use it...helped me 100% on the learning curve. Link is: http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html
Lin

Marcitright
10-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for the info.. LHR confirmed that 1.121 software is what I need... but when i got to help in designer... it says" You are currently running version 1.120 of the CarveWright Designer Software.

The software is currently at version 1.120.

You do not require a software update at this time. "

so no I haven't done that yet .. the tech said he'd send me a link via email.. but he must have forgotten today. Cause I can't seem to find how to get the update. Also he had a series of keypad inputs to do that I asked him to send me via an email of the steps to do but I didn't get his email. .. maybe thats why he didn't get the message out today, couldn't just send a link... do you have a link to that software at LHR? I'm guessing that the keys inputs where to validate probe deflection settings..

Anyway dead-in-the-water till i get the update to flash the firmware... i guess
Thanks for the info.
Marc

pkunk
10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
This is the link to the firmware update
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/cw_fw_1_121.mwm (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/../downloads/cw_fw_1_121.mwm)