PDA

View Full Version : Crank clutch won't clutch!

RC Woodworks
09-02-2007, 11:51 AM
I seemed to get the strangest experiences! First the board roller becoming jammed with the rubber gromet. Now my clutch is not ingaging. I crank it down and all it does is get too tight on the board. I still can use the CC as long as when the rollers first touch the board I stop.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or is it because I am at a fair? Lol why not my slide is not working on the motor home and my cell phone was stolen! That is the good of it I will leave it at that to avoid going off subject!!!

Two more fairs after tomorrow, I am off to Tulelake Ca. then to Red Bluff. I am giving the CC the ultimate testing!

Rick

Kenm810
09-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Rick,

I did a quick search and found this under Crank Lube

Quote -- I've lost my clutch action on the elevation control. Got it back using a little white grease on the pinion gear and removing the crank and using a little light lube there.) Now the clutch works fine.

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I had binding within the threaded screws that move the head up and down and the slide rods on each side that it rides on. The friction was causing the crank to just click when trying to bring the head back up. Lubrication on the rods and jacking screw helped.

Good Luck.

AL

liquidguitars
09-03-2007, 09:32 AM
RC,
I have the same prob right now and at a loss how to fix it so far.. I have taken the side panals off and moved the bolt location but it still cranks off 1/2".
PDF anyone?

I seemed to get the strangest experiences!

I guess CW did not send me your unit last week as a joke.. :rolleyes:

LG

BobHill
09-03-2007, 09:49 AM
LG,

Roll the machine onto one side and check to see that the bottom nuts to the top's four bar posts are tight and there is no wobble or movement to them. They may seem rigid, but see if they will push up or down as the top by be holding them from wobbling much except in the vertical direction. That's another possibility for the cause of your problem, besides needing to dry lube the posts and be sure sawdust hasn't clogged the slip areas and binding the top. Also, of course be sure there is no problem with the threaded head screw (which can also bind) ...check manual for this.

Bob

liquidguitars
09-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks Bob, I did tight down the bolts on the base of the shafts.. but it a no go so far.
I saw this with a search on "crank"

sarge , you have to take the panel off the bottom of the machine and remove the screw that holds the drive bar, once you do this you can use the crank handle to level out the rollers.

LG

Bill
09-03-2007, 10:19 AM
LG,

had the same problem. Check the gear area and make sure no sawdust is packed around the gear, clean and dry lub this area I found
that grease attracts the sawdust and lets it pack tight picture attached.

RC Woodworks
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I might just be really tired or I didn't explain my problem correctly? I am able to raise and lower the head, but when I crank the head all the way down the clutch will not engage. So I have been using it this way I lower the head until the rollers are compressed and it works.

Now if I did understand correctly, please bare or bear with me I am wiped out from this fair. It may need lubed? Hmm I hope #1 machine will be back for the Tulelake fair in 3 days. My wife will need to take it to me, I am going from this fair which is over yay!!! And I am going to Tulelake tomorrow.

Thanks for the help my friends!

Rick

cajunpen
09-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Rick, I had the same problem when I first got my "replacement" machine back. The fix was simple. Take the crank handle off - just loosen the screw and pull the handle & spring off. There is a washer inside the handle mechanism, loosen the washer with a pick of some sort and spray some dry lubricant in there (I used the white grease). Put it back together and you should be 10-8.

want2b
09-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Had same problem a couple of weeks ago and fix was same as noted by Cajunpen. Couldn't believe it was that simple but no problems since.

Semper Fi
09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Ditto for me on Cajunpen's fix. I left my machine sit too long and that's what happened......... and that's what fixed it too.

Ernie

HCM_Bill
09-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Rick, I had the same problem when I first got my "replacement" machine back. The fix was simple. Take the crank handle off - just loosen the screw and pull the handle & spring off. There is a washer inside the handle mechanism, loosen the washer with a pick of some sort and spray some dry lubricant in there (I used the white grease). Put it back together and you should be 10-8.

What kind of "dry Lube" do you use?

Semper Fi
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I use Bostik "Top Cote". Same stuff I use on my machine tops to keep them 'slick' and rust free. I'm not saying this stuff is better than something else, but it doesn't leave a residue and dries quick.

Ernie

HCM_Bill
09-08-2007, 11:12 AM
were do you find this "Bostik Top Cote"?
Bill

Kenm810
09-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Bill,

You can get them at any Woodcrafter or Rockler Store,
Also at Lowes or Homedepot, ever most powertool outlet stores.

HCM_Bill
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Ken,
Thank you for the info. and the picture. Now I know what to look for.
Bill