PDA

View Full Version : Another flex shaft problem

dpowli
09-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Here's a new problem I haven't seen here. I was 2 hrs into a 3 hr carve when I got a "Check cut motor". I checked the spindle by turning it by hand and had no motor resistance. I thought I had snapped one of the square drive ends from the inner cable. Pulled it out and both ends were fine. Pulled the shaft hosing from the motor and spindle, inserted the inner shaft, and the inner cable is about 1/2" too short. Called Chris at LHR and he is sending a new cable assembly..... he said something about the outer housing stretching????

Has anyone else seen this problem or have any ideas about what happened?

bobi
09-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Here's a new problem I haven't seen here. I was 2 hrs into a 3 hr carve when I got a "Check cut motor". I checked the spindle by turning it by hand and had no motor resistance. I thought I had snapped one of the square drive ends from the inner cable. Pulled it out and both ends were fine. Pulled the shaft hosing from the motor and spindle, inserted the inner shaft, and the inner cable is about 1/2" too short. Called Chris at LHR and he is sending a new cable assembly..... he said something about the outer housing stretching????

Has anyone else seen this problem or have any ideas about what happened?

This might be similar, but I'm not sure what is going on, yesterday the cable housing came out of the cut motor. I don't think it's supposed to be a "slip fit", so I will be calling CarveWright tomorrow.

Flyin' Dutchman
09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Same thing happened to me today. The shaft goes down in the housing. I have a hard time believing that the housing "stretched" though, as it happened all of a sudden during use. Now with buying it from Sears should I bring it back to them or should I get a hold of CW themselves?

bobi
09-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Same thing happened to me today. The shaft goes down in the housing. I have a hard time believing that the housing "stretched" though, as it happened all of a sudden during use. Now with buying it from Sears should I bring it back to them or should I get a hold of CW themselves?

Unless you are wanting to return it to Sears, call CarveWright first.

Flyin' Dutchman
09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Nope, I have too much work lined up. Thanks for the input!!

dpowli
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, at least I'm not the Lone Ranger, I should have the new flex xhaft assemby on Wednesday or Thursday according to Chris as LHR, I will compare the new with the old and let everyone know what I find. As far as the outer housing coming out of the cut motor, the are 2 flanges 180 degrees out from each other that are captured in the end housin of the motor. The only way it can come out is if the set-screw came loose and the outer housing rotated.

bobi
09-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, at least I'm not the Lone Ranger, I should have the new flex xhaft assemby on Wednesday or Thursday according to Chris as LHR, I will compare the new with the old and let everyone know what I find. As far as the outer housing coming out of the cut motor, the are 2 flanges 180 degrees out from each other that are captured in the end housin of the motor. The only way it can come out is if the set-screw came loose and the outer housing rotated.
Humm, I think the housing came apart then, then end was smooth, no ears. I slid it back in, and the screw doesn't appear loose either.

Flyin' Dutchman
09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
I'll be making my phone call tomarrow am. Its funny, nothing looks outa place on mine. The ears are still on the cable and the set screw was tight. Its like the flex shaft became 1/2 in too short all of a sudden. bobi, sounds like your cable came apart some how if your not seeing the ears on the cut motor end.

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Here is a picture of the Ears...

AL

Flyin' Dutchman
09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Ok so what is the magnet you are referring too? Is there a parts manual out for this thing yet? That would be great for us do-it your-selfers!!

dpowli
09-04-2007, 09:04 AM
See this post for magnet info -Anatomy of a Cut Motor 101- post #9

Flyin' Dutchman
09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Just got off the phone with LHR,and we figured it out!! The end that goes into the cut head came loose. By that I mean glue between the outer housing (that holds the spring support and the coupler) and the actual housing itself came loose. (boy i wish there was a parts manual so i could get the terminology right). I guess if anybody else wants to know more or doesn't understand I will take some pics and post them. Thanks All!!

Flyin' Dutchman
09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
I scuffed the cable housing and cleaned with alcohol. Used some 5 min epoxy and i'm back in business!!

JimmieJames
09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
My flex shaft came out of the motor after two weeks. There were no ears the end and I did not want to take it apart to try to fix it since it was only two weeks old.I took it back to Sears and exchanged it and had a new machine in a week.

Flyin' Dutchman
09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I think mine came apart from taking the cable out and lubricating it. Maybe this is what Chris @ LHR was talking about "stretching"?

dpowli
09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Flyin' Dutchman -
My shop is about 10 miles from home. but I'll bet ya I'll find the exact same problem with "too short" cable. Thanks for the insight!

bobi
09-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Here is a picture of the Ears...

AL
Ok, what happened on mine is the housing and the part with the ears came apart. The ears were still in the motor, and the cable housing "walked out". Chris is sending a new cable, I may do like Flyin' Dutchman and epoxy the old one as a spare.