PDA

View Full Version : Measures Board Length VERY Slow

Ivanq
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Loaded a simple test project and I when the machine goes to measure the board it moves to the left VERY slow. I let it run through and then it wanted me to load the board again - kind of like it ran the board past the edge of the sensor.

This also happens if I pick 'Measure' on the key pad.

So I looked at the 'Options' and I'm not at all sure that there is an error stated here.

Cover Switch - Closed
front roller - compressed
back roller - compressed
board sensor - 0
y position - .008
z position - .000
x position - 131.005
brd tracking - 2.579
probe state - open
cut sensor - 0

I haven't a clue what all of these signify but I'm hoping they mean something to someone on the forum.

Any ideas?

Thank You,
Cliff in Roswell

newcarver
08-31-2007, 09:38 AM
I never got that issue until i upgraded to the 1.120 version. Asked techs about it and all theytell me is that they don't think its a software problem...

Jeff_Birt
08-31-2007, 09:49 AM
I think this is a quirk that only happens is you ask it to center the carving on the board. I always use 'Place on Corner', so it's not a big deal to me. You might also run back through the sensor check menu with out a board in the machine and when you get to the compression rollers, make sure they say do not say compressed.

liquidguitars
08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Also make sure you can slide the board through the unit freely before you start, as a tapered board will bind the unit.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Saw your post on the option data. Here you go...

I haven't a clue what all of these signify but I'm hoping they mean something to someone on the forum.

Any ideas?

Cover Switch - Closed .... This is the left cover switch. Indicating the cover is closed. A good check when you get the close cover error. It will indicate open or closed.

front roller - compressed .... This is the front roller switch and it is compressed. If sawdust gets in the switch and indicates uncompressed when you have a board loaded the computer will ask you to load a board. Blow air around switch to clear error.

back roller - compressed .... This is the back roller switch and it is compressed.

board sensor - 0 .... This is the photo eye / LED on the bottom of the Z that measures the Z. On white paper it should be 145 or so and as you crank the head up the numbers get smaller. With white paper 4 cranks from 145 to Zero.

y position - .008 ..... This is the Y position data from the encoder. Use this to troubleshoot the encoder by moving the head and watching the numbers. Big jumps in numbers bad encoder, count up or down smoothly as you move the head Good Encoder.

z position - .000 .... Same for Z Axis.

x position - 131.005.... Same for Y Axis.

brd tracking - 2.579.... This is the Brass Roller that contact the underside of the board and tells the computer how long the board is.

probe state - open... This indicates you do not have a probe plugged in. This also tells the computer to NOT SPIN THE MOTOR when the probe IS plugged in as to not damage it. A good habit is to pull the center drive shaft when installing the probe just to be sure.

cut sensor - 0 This is the Magnet attached to your Cut Motor as it spins it will count up one count per revolution. A good check if you want to see if your magnet is still working as you get the CCM or Check Cut Motor when it is not working.

Hope this helps.

AL

Dirtydan
09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
If you selected "Auto Jig" and the board your using is more thant 7" longer than the carving layout, the machine will creep real slow for about 2 or 3 inches thinking the end is near, and then will take-off again until it gets to the end. This along with selecting "Center On Length" adds to your problem.

Kenm810
09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
95% of the time I always "Center On Length" for all my projects,
plus I never tell the machine to stay under the rollers.
As long as my carve area 3 1/2" of extra material at both ends (With or with out a Sled)
the measuring speed has always remained about the same.
A few people have said it's a hic-cup in the software.
I haven't it happen so I can say if that's really it.

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I have really become a "Place on END" Fan because it is SO predictable.... and repeatable... And NO Snail Crawl...

AL

newcarver
09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
What is the difference between center of lenght and place on end?

rjustice
09-07-2007, 11:09 AM
If you have a project in designer that is 6 inches long and an actual board length of 12" long.... If you tell it center on length, you will have 3 inches on each end of the board that is blank after carving. If you tell it to place on end, you will have the carving start on one edge, and 6" of blank area left on the other end of the board when it is complete

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
09-07-2007, 12:04 PM
This picture has a error but it shows a scrap block that stays under the roller and a board that has a bear cut on it very close to the edge. The front of the board is the right not left side of designer. The picture is wrong... right vice left.

So i just put a blank spot in the designer for the first 6 inches. No Creeping measurement, no waiting for center, just GO cut....

That is all I use now.

AL