PDA

View Full Version : Works in Progress - turkey, hummingbird, crab

mtylerfl
08-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Hello,

Here are some "works in progress" as I experiment with some different layout/carving/cutting techniques.

One will be an entry door 'welcome plaque' for guests to see on the front door when they come over for Thanksgiving dinner, another is a hummingbird and flower plaque for home decor, and another is just one I did when I was feeling a little "crabby";)

Kenm810
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Michael,

I like the bounty of the Cornucopia overflowing the frame.
All are first rate, plus Great Mutli Dimensional job on the Humming Bird Oval.
Please post more of your photos when your Plaques are finished.

Bill
08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
hello Michael,
Nice ideas, Very nice work I like them ;) well done.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

oldjoe
08-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Those look great! How long did it take to carve the humming bird plaque?
Is it 100% CC and one carve? Keep the postings coming. Just sitting here eating lunch at work wishing I had more time for carving. Lots a Christmas Ideas now.

DocWheeler
08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Michael,

I've been sitting here trying to figure out how you did the first two. It seems that part of the second one was "applied" afterward, but the first one has me stumped. I guess I need to take more time to learn what can be done with Designer.

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm with Doc. How did you do the lettering and flowers so they came out of the frame? I love them, will you share your pattern with us? Pam

BobHill
08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Great ideas, beautifully done.
Bob

mtylerfl
08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm with Doc. How did you do the lettering and flowers so they came out of the frame? I love them, will you share your pattern with us? Pam

Hello All,

Thanks for the kind comments and questions.

The Hummingbird plaque is in two parts...the oval design portion was carved first, then a sprig of just a section of flowers was carved/cutout with the CC for use as an appliqué to be glued to the outer frame of the oval. It's not glued on yet - I may modify ("saw" off) bits of the sprig before I commit to fastening it permanently. The Humming bird project took about 2 hrs. to carve on "BEST" setting (total time includes the separate flower sprig)

The Thanksgiving plaque design was laid out in Designer, using depth/height adjustments to get everything layered the way I wanted. I then drew the plaque's outline manually so I could generate a cutpath around the entire perimeter, including the irregular parts of the cornucopia that go beyond the framed area. Wasn't hard at all. Took about 2 or 3 minutes to draw it. The Thanksgiving project took about 2½ hrs to carve on "BEST" setting.

Next time I'll draw the path a little more snug to the irregular parts - my cutpath left nearly 1/8" excess wood around the cornucopia which I zipped off with my Dremel. I know now that I can make the line closer to the edge of the irregular parts.

I'm in the process of writing a brief Tutorial about Pattern Layering, etc., and those two carves were part of my research process! (Both the hummingbird and Thanskgiving plaque make use of layering and other techniques.)

TIP: I also set my Bit Optimization to "BEST" on each pattern element of the layout before uploading to the card. Otherwise, fine details (like in the turkey feathers) would not be visible in the final carve.

Lin
08-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Michael, I'm so glad you are doing a tutorial on layering. I've tinkered a bit with it and basically gotten nowhere but irratated...Looking forward to how its done right.
Lin

Router-Jim
08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Excellent work, I exspecially like the depth of your hummingbird plaque. :cool:

Dirtydan
08-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Hello,

Here are some "works in progress" as I experiment with some different layout/carving/cutting techniques.

Mike, those all look GREAT! I really like the way you overlayed the Letters and flowers... Very nice..:)

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow, What QUALITY... That's GREAT !!!! Look forward to the tutorial.

AL