PDA

View Full Version : Are the replacement flexshafts already lubricated?

S. Chase
08-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Hello,
My first flexshaft melted a week ago. My new one arrived today. I had lubed the first one but it got to 60 hrs before I knew it, and it melted in a couple of spots. Is the new shaft pre-lubed? Or do I need to go get the molly lube from home depot and use it first?

Thank you,
Scott

Kenm810
08-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Hi Scott,

Best to stay on the safe side, and lube the new Flex-Shaft just in case. A few have come through with insufficient lube or no lube at all. It’s not worth taking the chance. I relubricate mine about every 20 hours of carving time. Please remember to drain and wipe of any excess lube before installing the Flex-Shaft so it doesn’t leak in to the bearing in the chuck.

Be sure check Flex-Shaft temperature by hand or with one of the hand held Infrared thermometers like the ones you can order from Ron ( rjustice ) on this forum. My Flex-Shaft stays at about 96 to 98 Degrees even after a three hour project.

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
What do you soak your core in? Just wondering if there's any new ideas out there. Pam

rjustice
08-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi Scott,

Be sure check Flex-Shaft temperature by hand or with one of the hand held Infrared thermometers like the ones you can order from Ron ( rpringle ) on this forum. My Flex-Shaft stays at about 96 to 98 Degrees even after a three hour project.

You can order the IR thermometer from rjustice ;)

Simply email me at cw_parts@yahoo.com, I can invoice you through paypal. I have them in stock ready to go.

I went almost 70 hours after using the "Gunk Industrial chain lube with Moly" purchased at Ace Hardware. I also wiped off the excess after soaking in a vacuume over night... I highly reccomend this proceedure for Lubing.

I check the cable temp in the middle of each carve and have found the hot spot on mine to be exactly where the wire brace touches the cable sheath. It was amazing that mine went from running in the upper 80's to low 90's on one carving, and the next it shot up to 120. I re-lubed, and she cooled right back down, and still running strong !

Ron

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Ron, do you use the food vacuum seal bags for this?

Kenm810
08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry Ron And Russ, http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

I have no idea what I was typing.
Like DocWheeler calls it -- I must have had a Senior Moment there.
Made the correction soon as I saw your post.

I promise, I'll work on my brain - typing finger coordination.

rjustice
08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Ron, do you use the food vacuum seal bags for this?

Pam,
Yes... there are a couple threads about the lubing that gives details on how to do it. Ken810 came up with another twist to drawing a vaccume on the shaft as well, I think by capping one end of the tubing and drawing a vaccume on the other tube after putting the cable into the tubing.

Ken,
No harm !... just wanted to make sure the fine folks from the forum knew where and how to get the IR Thermometer! :rolleyes:

Happy carving all!

Ron

S. Chase
08-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Thank you all I will grease my shaft before I install the new one.

Thanks so much,
Scott

swhitney
09-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Thank you all I will grease my shaft before I install the new one.

Thanks so much,
Scott

Hey Hey... this is a family forum LOL

S. Chase
09-01-2007, 11:44 AM
It's my first time too, I'll be gentle.

kevspearl
09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Ken,
I just had a problem with my flexshaft heateing up. I was not aware of the problem until I noticed the coating on the shafts outer casing starting to separate. A section eventually pealed away. I aborted the project and I want to know how I should proceed. Can I coat the old housing or should I purchase a new flexshaft housing? How do I check to see if I caused any damage to the shaft to determine if it should be replaced? Where do I go to purchase a replacement?

lynnfrwd
09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Here is a link about the flexshaft that may help. Sorry, if already posted...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14901-Lubricating-the-Flexshaft&highlight=flexshaft

Call LHR to order new one, if already melted. 713-473-6572

It is only sold as an assembly with core and plastic sheath.

kevspearl
09-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I am curious to know how did you go about ordering your new flex shaft? When you noticed your problem what were some of the effects. I noticed the outer coating on the cable melting and I stopped the project. Did the casing on your flexshafts melt each time? When you replaced your shafts did you replace the casings also? Did you ever determine what caused the flexshaft to over heat? Are there peramaters on the duration of the projects which match the temperture ranges? And have you noticed that when you work on projects with more dense woods does this cause the temperatures to increase? I went form 1 inch pine to a project with 2 inch Douglas Furr and I noticed a problem with heat. It could have caused by the need to lubracate the flexshaft. I will instect the shaft to determine the extent of the damage.