PDA

View Full Version : Unsupported bit

PhotoProf
08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey guys.... I tried the search function of the forum but did not see any posts related to this issue. I was drilling a series of circles and all was going well when the bit truck went to the far left (keyboard side) and into the plastic plate at the bottom of the machine. A message came up on the keyboard saying I had an unsupported bit and would only let me abort the project. I had been using the 1/8" straight bit for this carve. Any ideas?

jspringertx
08-29-2007, 08:02 AM
I have used the 1/8" carving bit without any problems. It could be that your bit wasn't secure in the chuck. I have had that problem on several occasions and I have a scar on my thumb to prove it.

The holes I drilled were only 1-5/16" X 1/8" deep and it did a beautiful job. Don't give up as it is a great feature of the machine.

Jeff_Birt
08-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Was it in the process of drilling holes when it did this or was it still in the bit checking routine? Sounds like the bit did not properly contact the bit plate.

Dirtydan
08-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey guys.... I tried the search function of the forum but did not see any posts related to this issue. I was drilling a series of circles and all was going well when the bit truck went to the far left (keyboard side) and into the plastic plate at the bottom of the machine. A message came up on the keyboard saying I had an unsupported bit and would only let me abort the project. I had been using the 1/8" straight bit for this carve. Any ideas?

If you drilled a hole/holes through the plastic plate, here's what you have to do...

- Clean it off real good.
- Find a "Dime"
- Glue the dime onto the plastic plate

Things should work fine after that...:eek:

Been there, done that...

PhotoProf
08-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the information...

I had completed one project without problem so I think the bit was securely fitted in the chuck. It was in progress and doing fine when the error occurred so it had found the bit successfully. The machine had just returned from Texas (died within 30 minutes with transport issues) and I had mentioned the drill through the plastic issue (I had not had the unsupported bit message though). Tech repair did not replace the damaged part nor indicate what caused the problem which was disappointing... I'm going to ask for the part and try to do it myself. I will let you know what tech says causes this problem... I'm becoming frustrated with several issues but hate to give up because the machine has such great potential!

Dirtydan
08-29-2007, 01:27 PM
I did/had the same problem.. Never figured out why the cutting bit went down and drilled the hole in the plastic. When I called CW about my problem they told me I could either order a replacement part or just glue a dime over the hole...making sure it remains level... Guess what it worked and I have not had another problem for at least 3 months and many, many projects...

Give it a shot... Won't hurt a thing...

PhotoProf
08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
After talking to tech support, they suggested the dime approach. I made a small wooden shim out of a dowel and covered the hole (it's a good thing I didn't use a dime... the bit came over and drilled through the piece). Talked to support again and they said it must be a Z pack issue so are sending a new one out. Apparently there is a redesign coming on this due to recurring issues on older machines. They also suggested re-flashing the card. Anyway that is the lowdown at this point.

Thanks guys!

Iwood2
08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
After talking to tech support, they suggested the dime approach. I made a small wooden shim out of a dowel and covered the hole (it's a good thing I didn't use a dime... the bit came over and drilled through the piece). Talked to support again and they said it must be a Z pack issue so are sending a new one out. Apparently there is a redesign coming on this due to recurring issues on older machines. They also suggested re-flashing the card. Anyway that is the lowdown at this point.

Thanks guys!

Have same problem I just work around tell machine the depth I want not through the board like 0.78 instead of 0.75 it seems to work for me

Azbear
08-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey, how did you get my table saw from my garage? Don't deny it, I saw it on your site....oh never mind, mine's still in my garage. Sorry 'bout that. (chuckling with you)

Just a bit of humor I throw around these days.

(nice saw though, huh?)

Dirtydan
08-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the update PhotoProf

I've been having problems with the board sensor today... Cleaned everything including the inside of the sensor assembly...no change... Ended up puting some masking tape down the middle of the board and across the center... Guess what .... it worked. I guess the porblem was that I pre-stained the board and the sensor didn't like the different shade/colors and couldn't tell where the edges were... So, remember 'Masking Tape' Almost like WD-40 or 3-1 Oil... and a hammer will fix just about anything...:p

Dirtydan
08-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey, how did you get my table saw from my garage? Don't deny it, I saw it on your site....oh never mind, mine's still in my garage. Sorry 'bout that. (chuckling with you)

Just a bit of humor I throw around these days.

(nice saw though, huh?)

Great Saw... Thanks for the Razzing...

P.S. Noticed you didn't sign my guestbook.... BAD, Bad, bad boy...

PhotoProf
08-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow... if masking tape worked, think about how well things would go if you used duct tape (the universal tool).

Dirtydan
08-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Wow... if masking tape worked, think about how well things would go if you used duct tape (the universal tool).

I almost added duct tape to the list, but it tends to leave a sticky mess after you remove it...:rolleyes:

BobHill
08-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Although I still wouldn't use it on good wood, a product by the name of Goo Off works great in getting rid of the Duck Tape stickyness when the tape is removed from things. I've also used lighter fluid, as I'm sure many people have, but that tends to eat into and dull plastics, while Goo Off doesn't.

Bob

Dirtydan
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Although I still wouldn't use it on good wood, a product by the name of Goo Off works great in getting rid of the Duck Tape stickyness when the tape is removed from things. I've also used lighter fluid, as I'm sure many people have, but that tends to eat into and dull plastics, while Goo Off doesn't.

Bob

Bob,

It works great on wood also. After I use it (Goo Off or Goo B Gone) is clean the area with Alcohol. Works real good...:D

BobHill
08-30-2007, 12:20 PM
That it works on bare wood is good to know, Dan. I've done it on painted and finished wood, but not bare wood because of the unknown. So, I've not used duck tape on bare wood because of it. I won't be as shy about it in the future, thanks for the information.

Bob

Dirtydan
08-30-2007, 12:31 PM
That it works on bare wood is good to know, Dan. I've done it on painted and finished wood, but not bare wood because of the unknown. So, I've not used duck tape on bare wood because of it. I won't be as shy about it in the future, thanks for the information.

Bob

Sorry, didn't mean to mis-lead you, I've NEVER used Duct Tape on wood, but I have used the Goo-B-Gone to remove those nasty stickers some places like to stick on wood, you know the ones with prices and other info. Actually, I think they are harder to get off than duct tape sticky stuff...:D The cleaning with Alcohol afterwards just seemed like a natural....I guess M.E.K. would also work, neither one leave a residue after their use.

BobHill
08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
You bet on the stickers. And MEK is a regular for me to use.

Bob