PDA

View Full Version : Clear Board Sensor... here we go again

Signmaker
08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I had the Clear Board Sensor problem, called CW, he took me thru a test sequence and it was ok. He asked what wood I was using, MDF, just practicing. he sad MDF is somewhat shinny.

Today I used the machine (poplar). It worked, now it don't.

Any ideas? The sensor is clean.

Signmaker

Gman_Ind
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
goto sensor menu, board sensor, and check your reading without a board in place aand again with a mirror, or paper you should see the reading climb the closer the paper gets to the sensor. If you get no change in numbers your sensor is malfunctioning or the wires are loose or even shorted, it the white wire touches ground it is shorted. Search (http://carvewright.com/forum/search.php) for the error your not the first one to get the error.

liquidguitars
08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Can be a few things from a bad ic to dust on the inside top of the
board sensor. As a temp fix you can remove the small plastic window.

as a side note keep oil away, do not use wd40 like spray when cleaning around the sensors.

LG

Signmaker
08-30-2007, 11:01 AM
goto sensor menu, board sensor, and check your reading without a board in place aand again with a mirror, or paper you should see the reading climb the closer the paper gets to the sensor. If you get no change in numbers your sensor is malfunctioning or the wires are loose or even shorted, it the white wire touches ground it is shorted. Search (http://carvewright.com/forum/search.php) for the error your not the first one to get the error.

Thanks! Found options/sensor check but it only covers open/closed. Where is the sensor menu to test as in quote?

A time b4 I had the problem I removed the sensor, as mentioned in a search I did, but did not remove the wires. It seemed ok. White paper & tape didn't seem to matter.

Maybe next I should remove the plastic window??? I only use Boeshield T-9 (theruststore.com)

Oh, called CW, #4 message said that tech is not available at this time! Two days!

Go figure.

Thankx,
Signmaker

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2007, 06:21 PM
You were there..... ALMOST..... When you saw the Cover Closed use the down or up arrow to select through all the sensors... Going down next is the 2 rollers then next is board sensor.... I use white paper as my is it working reference.... Everything working a 140 on the paper and 0 or ZERO is 4 cranks up.... With a board and less reflectivity the numbers are 50 and 2 cranks up ZERO. Removed my plastic window the other day as it was full of fine sawdust and was a 10 on white paper. Lost it now every 2 or 3 cuttings I get Clear sensor and I blow air in the exposed LED's. Tried clear packing tape but it could not see through it very well.

Good Luck....

Check out the sensor menu..... The Cut motor magnet is there too.

AL

Signmaker
08-31-2007, 11:41 AM
You were there..... ALMOST..... When you saw the Cover Closed use the down or up arrow to select through all the sensors... Going down next is the 2 rollers then next is board sensor.... I use white paper as my is it working reference.... Everything working a 140 on the paper and 0 or ZERO is 4 cranks up.... With a board and less reflectivity the numbers are 50 and 2 cranks up ZERO. Removed my plastic window the other day as it was full of fine sawdust and was a 10 on white paper. Lost it now every 2 or 3 cuttings I get Clear sensor and I blow air in the exposed LED's. Tried clear packing tape but it could not see through it very well.

Good Luck....

Check out the sensor menu..... The Cut motor magnet is there too.

AL

Oh Al!

(MWC fan.) Anyway, how do I remove the window without damage? It seems dusty on the inside.

Thanks,
Signmaker

Digitalwoodshop
08-31-2007, 04:04 PM
I used a knife to pry the window off to clean the dust in back of the window. Put it back in and it fell out and was sucked up by dust collection. I must shoot air in the sensor area every board or I get a error.

Good Luck

AL

ruggybear
08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Yep!! but at least you do not have to fight it anyore.

Flyin' Dutchman
09-03-2007, 10:37 AM
I took the advice and removed the sensor cover. Worked like a charm. I am a service tech on Konica Minolta digital copiers and we have to do the same thing with some of the photo sensors on them as well (paper dust). Cant believe I didn't think of this on my own. hehehe Thanks again Al!! Ruggybear, I think your the closest person I've seen on here, I'm in Sault Ste Marie. Munising is beautiful thats for sure, drive through there once in a while on our way to Marquette.

caseyj2222
09-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Can be a few things from a bad ic to dust on the inside top of the
board sensor. As a temp fix you can remove the small plastic window.

as a side note keep oil away, do not use wd40 like spray when cleaning around the sensors.

LG

OK, I removed the window and that worked for about two projects. Now, nothing. As clean as I can get it. Even looked at with a mirror. Clean. This is VERY frustrating! I love the machine but can't stand this design problem.

DustyUsr
09-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I searched on this subject and nothing.
I check with white paper, gives 1
put a mirror under, gives 155
Put board or my hand, gives 0
So, how do I remove and clean or remove the Lens?
Don't want to mess something up, it is still under warranty.
Thanks for any help.
Michael:confused:

Ropdoc
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Where is the window cover? I did the sensor test and the reading change. But I do not know where the sensor is.

Kenm810
11-28-2007, 06:08 PM
On the bottom of the "Z" Truck just behind the QC Chuck
You need a mirror to see the dust it can accumulate

Ropdoc
11-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I tried using a q-tip to clean it, but I still have the clear board sensor error. What else should I do?

Hexe SA
11-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I tried using a q-tip to clean it, but I still have the clear board sensor error. What else should I do?

a papertowel with windex and wipe it of. I do the same with the little plastic shield on the routers. Sawdust can stick real bad and cake up.

Ropdoc
11-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok, thank you. I will try that.

Dave

Ropdoc
11-29-2007, 06:09 PM
I removed the sensor and as shown in the pic (I know it is hard to see) the eye on the right looks like it is full of dust. How do I remove the dust inside the sensor? I do not want to break this thing.

My Grandson's first birthday is next weekend and I have a plack I want to make for him. Very important.

DocWheeler
11-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Ropdoc,

The cover that slips off is at the top of your picture, it has 4 posts that slip into the assembly. It is very thin, part of what is sticking up is a shoulder on the assembly. When you lift that piece off, the little plastic window can be removed (if it has not fallen out and disappeared at this point!).

You have the hard part done already. just be careful and get some tweezers to put the window back in.

Ropdoc
11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Please bear with me. So the cover here, which I am pointing at. Will lift straight up and I can then remove the clear cover over the sensor eyes?

Ropdoc
11-29-2007, 07:05 PM
I am trying to remove the cover and all I am doing is bending the edges. I am sssooooooo frustrated write now I am going to go out into the garage and yell, maybe throw some tools around.

How much is a new sensor ??

Dave

swhitney
11-29-2007, 07:48 PM
they are charging $15 each plus the usual $12 shipping. Net time you order a bit, or belt, or whatever, it might be a good idea to get an extra. When my sensor gives me excess grief, i remove it, and hit it with some compressed air. then it seems to work better. I do occassionally check the readings by using the sensor check function (0,7, etc) at when it is not in the >120 range (or so) is when I go for more than the usual in place wipe and air blast.

DocWheeler
11-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Dave,

Sorry for the delay, been in the shop. Yes, that is the cover.
You may need to slide a thin blade under an edge to pry it out.

I understand the frustration, big hands are not an asset on this kind of thing.

Dale in Anaheim
11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I am trying to remove the cover and all I am doing is bending the edges. I am sssooooooo frustrated write now I am going to go out into the garage and yell, maybe throw some tools around.

How much is a new sensor ??

Dave

Dave, Wish I had seen this ealier, I am leaving tonight for Vegas or I would meet up with you and help you disassemble the thing. I am in Corona, so we are pretty close to each other. When you said "next weekend" were you referring the 1st and 2nd of DEC or the 8th and 9th? Perhaps if it is the 8th and 9th and if you dont have it worked out by next week I can meet up with you on Tues when I am back in town and help you out?

Of course if you ordered a new sensor from LHR, you might just have it by then. Either way, let me know if you want/need a hand throwing tools. ;-)

Let me know.

Dale