PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

Sofrat1
08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
How do I get this software to allow me to us the cutpath feature. I am trying to cut out a rectangle shape with an arch attached. THe online manual doesn't talk too much about cutpath. I AM A NEW USER, CAN ANYONE HELP.

DocWheeler
08-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.

There have been numerous posts on cut path.
The reason for most problems seems to be that the path is not a complete figure, or that it ends within the board dimensions.

If you attach your project, someone will assist you.

Jeff_Birt
08-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Sofrat,

'Cut Path' only works on a closed path, Doc said. You can click on each endpoint on your rectangle and move it around a red >< will appear when it locks to the other end point. You'll also notice that one item will disappear from your carving list.

Also, please do not double post the same question.

Sofrat1
08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
I dont know how to connect the object i inserted and the segment lines for a paddle i am trying to create. I have been trying for hours can someone please help? My project is attached. Thanks i have been so frustrated for weeks with the software that i haven't used my machine becacuse the instructions are so poor. I am think about returning it since we cant use it.

Jeff_Birt
08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
First: I merged your latest post (on this same subject with your original).

Second: Please do not keep starting new threads to ask the same question. This is a users forum filled with lots of nice people, like you we have other things to do. Be a bit patient.

Third: A cut path has to be ONE UNBROKEN path. In your file there were two separate outlines and the software had no idea what to do with them. One was created by using outline on an imported image, the second drawn in. I deleted the outline around the image as you cannot edit such an outline. I then drew in a rough outline around the Sphinx and connected it to the other set of lines. Then I applied a cut path. I only spent 2 min on it so you'll want to edit it a bit more.

Fourth: The search function is great. I just tried a quick search for 'cut path' and had several hit. It's a good way to look for answers.

JOHNB
08-27-2007, 09:47 PM
i'm afraid that if you carve that pattern, you're gonna be even more disappointed. zoom in on your design, and look at it at different angles. it appears you may have imported a jpeg photo without any clean-up?

Sofrat1
08-27-2007, 09:50 PM
THANK YOU JEFF,

Can u tell what u did to delete the white box around the imported image?

Thanks again, sorry about the multiple posts

Jeff_Birt
08-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Right click -> Delete

Sofrat1
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
not trying to funny or anything but is that information in the manual at all or just in forums?

Sarge
08-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I dont know how to connect the object i inserted and the segment lines for a paddle i am trying to create. I have been trying for hours can someone please help? My project is attached. Thanks i have been so frustrated for weeks with the software that i haven't used my machine becacuse the instructions are so poor. I am think about returning it since we cant use it.

You used segmented lines. I took what you had already done, and used the connected lines to outline what you had. I then deleted the lines you had. A little adjustment and resizing the board dimensions should work just fine. Impatience is abundant with things we don't understand. Horse around with the different tools. Learn from mistakes, don't get "wrapped around the axle" over little things.

Jeff_Birt
08-27-2007, 10:58 PM
not trying to funny or anything but is that information in the manual at all or just in forums?

yep it's in the help file / handbook in Designer:
"Cut Path can only be applied to a closed figure or path whose end points cross the edge of the board"
And incedently, I never realized that a cut path could be applied to an open path whose end cross the edge of the board. I think Mark James just mentioned that on another thread in the last day or so. But heck, it's right there in the docs ;)

Thanks i have been so frustrated for weeks with the software that i haven't used my machine becacuse the instructions are so poor. I am think about returning it since we cant use it.

There are many forms of documentation that we as users have access to. The manual that comes with the machine, the help file/handbook in Designer and CW has even provided us with this great forum. It's up to use to take advantage of all of them.

Gman_Ind
08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
I just learned that as well, I think Rick C pointed that out to us, that info will same some cutting path on this design, extend your arcs across the edge of a board ans the cut path icon lights up, more useful info.
I learn so much my head hurts.