PDA

View Full Version : Assistance needed ...

Ron Smith
08-27-2007, 03:03 PM
I haven't had any problems for quite some time, so maybe I was due, but here it is. I started carving a picture for our group that went to Tahiti this year. It got through 85% of the photo, then the "check cutting head" fault came on. This is the replacement machine I received for my Beta model. I checked the head to make sure it was tight, removed the carving bit and checked it also. I vacuumed out all of the chips and checked the board for cupping. Everything was in good order, so I I re-started. It continued to cut on an increasing deep path as it progressed. I finally stopped it before it went through the board. I had the settings at .125 depth and at the "best" setting. Any ideas?

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Loose flat Z encoder cable. Nick in the Gray Flat encoder so it's missing a bit in the logic. It hits the Y heat sink in it's travels. Or... Bad Z Encoder.

Do this. Power on, Lid open, Options menu to sensor data. Select Z Axis data. Move the head slowly up and down and watch the numbers change. Skipping around = something is wrong. Smooth numbers..... It's something else.... Loose bit in holder...?

I posted the logic to bit weights a few weeks ago...

256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1 0
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

When one of the wires are broken or the encoder is bad it counts numbers and skips.

Good Luck,

AL

Ron Smith
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Loose flat Z encoder cable. Nick in the Gray Flat encoder so it's missing a bit in the logic. It hits the Y heat sink in it's travels. Or... Bad Z Encoder.

Do this. Power on, Lid open, Options menu to sensor data. Select Z Axis data. Move the head slowly up and down and watch the numbers change. Skipping around = something is wrong. Smooth numbers..... It's something else.... Loose bit in holder...?

I posted the logic to bit weights a few weeks ago...

256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1 0
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

When one of the wires are broken or the encoder is bad it counts numbers and skips.

Good Luck,

AL

Thanks, I'll look into it tomorrow. I hope it's a fix I can do here without returning the unit.

Ron

liquidguitars
08-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Ron,
not sure if you have replaced one of the Z packs yet, but no need to ship the unit, the new Z pack shoud take a bout 15 min to install.

LG