PDA

View Full Version : Designer & Splines

jlitz
08-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Attached in an overview of how I believe "splines" are handled within the Designer software - cubic Bézier curves with algorithmic control points.

DocWheeler
08-23-2007, 07:26 AM
jlitz,

Very well done, and a good explanation. I can read and understand your code - but could not have written it (not java literate).

I hope that you also do things that are not so "deep" so the rest of us can relate :p

BobHill
08-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Ken,

That's the beauty of using something like CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, or Xara Xtreme. Each has Bézier structure built right into it and when you use the "Node" or "Point" tool you see the points and their accompanying "lever arms" which you can push, pull, or swing to get the shape and length of the arc from each side of that point/node. No math required. You don't even have to understand Bézier (except it's a neat name). Think "French curves" and some of the algebraic shapes you might have had to do in High School math. Another neat thing you can do with these programs is make straight lines in tracing a raster image in your vector program (you can even do this in Designer using their vector tools), then set the lines to curve (in Designer, "Change Form" tool) and bend the shape of the arc between your points to the shape of the arcs in the raster image. When done, you have vectorized a raster (without the fill) and if it's a "cutout" that you'd like instead of a raster carve, you just set the bit to use/depth and remove the raster, or do a combination of both, if you wish.

Bob

Gman_Ind
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
It is possible to edit the nodes of a spline in Wolfies designer as well, Add subtract and push pull. then sweep or rotate the spline into a surface. cool stuff. it outputs height mapped greyscale images.

BobHill
08-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Gman,

Designer does have many of the same features in vector work as Corel, Adobe, and Xara, but also is far more limited. Because it's always vector, however makes Designer's vector more useful than the other programs as they might do a better job of vector imaging, but then have to have it converted to raster in order to use it in Designer. For instance you can't rotate the vector on your project board without redoing it from scratch in the plane you wish it to be. And Designer's vector has strict rules for following dimensions and angles before entering absolutes. Ever notice that you might have solid dimensions and angles, but all of a sudden weird angles start to appear on work you've already done? Designer's vector is far slower than any of the other methods. But some of that, I must say is, for me, I'm far more experienced in those vector programs than Designer.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
08-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Sweet job jlitz! Very nice....I love knowing how things work :)

RanUtah
08-24-2007, 06:43 AM
I only speak English.;)

carrothers
06-18-2013, 11:51 AM
I am trying to make a 'French curve" for the upright legs on a free standing mirror. I laid out one end using the spline tool but could not get Designer to flip (the entire end) over and couldn't get it to copy for the other end. I looked for a pattern in the pattern store but couldn't find anything with the French curve. Any help would be appreciated.

bergerud
06-18-2013, 12:07 PM
You should be able to flip the spline. You may also be able to mirror it. If you post the mpc, we may be able to help.