PDA

View Full Version : Very Hard Wood

dominulus
08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Does the machine gauge the hardness of wood, making shallower passes for unusually hard lumber?

I have some Ipe (Ironwood) that I'd like to cut and carve, but am hesitant to do so, as it's so hard and dense that it won't take a nail and often breaks drill bits.

peep
08-23-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't think so. I have done Paduk and lots of Purple Heart. I must admit I worry with the Purple Heart so I open the lid and give the machine a rest from time to time.

The question is does the bit wear out?

Has anyone worn out thier first bit?

pkunk
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Hard wood has not bothered my machines at all. It takes very small bites. The carving bit is actually an end mill, designed to cut metal. I have several hundred hours on my first one, and 20 or so on the one I got from precise bits.

liquidguitars
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
You can play with the upload quality setting for faster cutting strokes but some deep carving .75", long cutting times and the fine red acid like dust can stress the units Z pack.

Using rock hard maple seems to be ok overall as the dust seems not to factor as much.

LG

sk8nmike
08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I've made several projects with Ipe, (carves nice too) I've yet to break a bit or wear one out, I've also carved Blackjack Oak and this stuff wil dull a chain saw in minutes, no problems.

Gman_Ind
08-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Raster cuts are very small step over.
Vector cuts using larger router bits can load the machine way more. I don't know how to take more or less of a cut with vector toolpaths.