PDA

View Full Version : z axis acting very wierd

tjelite
08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Not sure if this is software or hardware...

I am trying to make a couple of speaker grills for a customer. Material will be .220 cast acrylic. I'm basically routing out the shape, and then doing some custom engraving, that I imported as a PNG.

For some reason, the machine is 'tapering' the depth of the graphic. I have the whole thing set to 0.063 deep, but as the machine moves from right to left, it gets progressively deeper. In fact, it actually cut all the way through the 1/2 mdf test piece, when it got to the left graphic!

This is my first attempt at importing and cutting graphics, so I could have done something wrong, but since I inserted the same graphic onto both pieces, it seems more like a machine issue.

Any thoughts? I'm going to try and do some other (simpler) operations, and see if the depth still varies.

Toby

RC Woodworks
08-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Not sure if this is software or hardware...

I am trying to make a couple of speaker grills for a customer. Material will be .220 cast acrylic. I'm basically routing out the shape, and then doing some custom engraving, that I imported as a PNG.

For some reason, the machine is 'tapering' the depth of the graphic. I have the whole thing set to 0.063 deep, but as the machine moves from right to left, it gets progressively deeper. In fact, it actually cut all the way through the 1/2 mdf test piece, when it got to the left graphic!

This is my first attempt at importing and cutting graphics, so I could have done something wrong, but since I inserted the same graphic onto both pieces, it seems more like a machine issue.

Any thoughts? I'm going to try and do some other (simpler) operations, and see if the depth still varies.

Toby

Toby, check your up and down movement of your Z truck. Does it have any resistance? If not the Z motor is out. My #1 CC started carving wierd it would make a letter then run the remaining letters together. It started slowly until the whole thing broke.

You might be on the fringe of it breaking, test your sensors 0 7 on keypad. I am istalling a new Z motor today.

Hope that helped,

Rick

tjelite
08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I think it is the Z motor. I tried just cutting a circle, .063 deep, and it plunged all the way through the board. I stopped it, checked sensors, and Z was at 1.407. Moved truck up and down, still at 1.407. Took it apart and cleaned Z encoder, and now it seems to work.

I noticed not much resistance on Z truck, so I think motor is going...

Toby

liquidguitars
08-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Best best is to call LHR ASAP and get a new Z pack sent to you. it takes about 30 mins to install.

LG

tjelite
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Best best is to call LHR ASAP and get a new Z pack sent to you. it takes about 30 mins to install.

LG

Called them yesterday, left a message. Definitely seems to be Z pack. I figured out how to simplify the project, and turn the 'graphic' into a route, instead of a carve. Cut time down from 44 mins. to 4. Got down to cutting the '3' and decided it should air cut it, about 1/2" above the board.

Toby