PDA

View Full Version : Default bit depth

dannirr
08-21-2007, 07:41 PM
When selecting a bit, it usually fills in a default bit depth. Is that an optimal depth for that specific bit assuming you are carving from the board surface?
Thanks

Danni

pkunk
08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
When selecting a bit, it usually fills in a default bit depth. Is that an optimal depth for that specific bit assuming you are carving from the board surface?
Thanks

Danni
We have no idea -are you talking about centerline text or some other operation? If a pattern, you can select the depth according to many variables.

dannirr
08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
I know you can choose the depth - but when you select a bit for anything other than text or a pattern, it automatically fills in a depth (that you can change if you want) for every bit.

What is that depth based on?

Danni

pkunk
08-21-2007, 09:07 PM
OK, you're still leaving me in the dark with a vague question. Post a MPC file of what you don't understand, & I'll look at it and maybe have an answer. Please be more specific.:)

dannirr
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Am MPC file won't answer your question - but perhaps my question needs to be clearer:

If you draw a line (or box, oval, circle etc), and then select the bit tool, you are presented with a list (and graphic) of each bit that is available to you to carve that line. Selecting any one of those bits will result in the software filling in the depth of the carve in the DEPTH box. You can change that depth if you want to.

Selecting different bits will result in different default depths as selected bt Designer. FOr example, if you choose the 1/8 in ballnose it will fill in 0.063 in in the depth box, but if you choose the 1/4 in ballnose it will fill in 0.125 in in the depth box.

My question is this: is the default depth that designer chooses the optimum depth for that particular bit?

Danni

pkunk
08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
No, I think not. Just an arbitrary depth that the programmers had to put in.(they had to enter something) There are maximum depths but that depends upon the bit selected, and what you wish to accomplish. Don't try to read more into this software than needed. It is simple yet has advanced capabilities & is still in it's infancy.

dannirr
08-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Well, that's interesting if it is indeed arbitary as you suggest. There seems to be a relationship to bit size though - the ballnose bits default to half the bit size, the more complex bits also maintain a relationship to bit size (eg 0.05 bigger than bit size).

Not being an experienced carver, I do assume that a bit has a depth that you need to use in order to achieve the desired effect of that particular bit. I think that is what Designer is using.

Danni

pkunk
08-21-2007, 09:53 PM
You're trying to define 'bit' when it really has more to do with what is being carved. That comes down to the Designer's profile of what you're putting in as a design. Again, you're trying to think outside the box rather than with it.

pkunk
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Not being one of the creators of 'Designer', I really can't expound on your question other than to say that 'It is what it is' & most of us understand it & enjoy it.:rolleyes:

Gman_Ind
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I find the default depth is a good starting point for basic use of the profile, ie 1/2 the dia. of a ball nose, as with your router bits how you adjust the depth of cut makes a big difference on the shape and look of the routing. Best example is using the classic bit, many possible looks available with this one cutter.

Strangely there is no depth of cut option for centerline text. This depth is determined by the cutter. I use the 90 degree for mine and most turn out looking like the MPC. In this case the depth is already optimized.

dannirr
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Surely if you are using the classical bits, or the round over, or the ogee you need to carve to a specified depth in order to get the full effect of the bit? To shallow or to deep would result in quite different effects.

Danni

pkunk
08-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Surely if you are using the classical bits, or the round over, or the ogee you need to carve to a specified depth in order to get the full effect of the bit? To shallow or to deep would result in quite different effects.

Danni
Perfect example of needing to be user specified.:)

dannirr
08-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Yes, it is a good example - but it gets back to my original question - are the depth Designer fills in the optimum depths for those specific bits?

Danni

pkunk
08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I find the default depth is a good starting point for basic use of the profile, ie 1/2 the dia. of a ball nose, as with your router bits how you adjust the depth of cut makes a big difference on the shape and look of the routing. Best example is using the classic bit, many possible looks available with this one cutter.

Strangely there is no depth of cut option for centerline text. This depth is determined by the cutter. I use the 90 degree for mine and most turn out looking like the MPC. In this case the depth is already optimized.
Mike, in centerline there are many variables. Bold & 60° will give a much deeper carve than straight 90° & the larger the text the deeper it carves (to a finite point). Different fonts also carve much deeper that others. I had one that was over 5/8" deep (CRS on which) & my 8+" letters with the large carving bit (see 3 x5 sign) I held back on 'bold' to limit depth.

pkunk
08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, it is a good example - but it gets back to my original question - are the depth Designer fills in the optimum depths for those specific bits?

DanniMy origonal answer-NO!

dannirr
08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, it appears there is a logic to the default bit depth after all, and it is not arbitary at all.

I measured the bits diameter, cutting blade depth, and the depth of the blade that excludes the vertical part right at the top (which would be at the Boards surface).
For the ballnose bits, it is simply half the bit diameter.

For the fancy bits (classical, ogee etc), the suggested depth that Designer puts into the Depth input field is EXACTLY the depth of the cutting blade of that bit, excluding the vertical part of the blade. My attachment below shows the area I am referring to - between the two black lines.

So, if you want the full effect of the bit, use Designer's default depth if you are carving at the Boards surface, or add the deth of a carve region if you are carving within a carve region.

Danni

pkunk
08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
I see you answered your own question, which was never fully explained by you or understood by me. Very good! I never use profile bits in the CW as a router table or shaper is 50 times faster and more easily adjustable. I do understand that not all of you have those woodworking tools at your disposal.:)