PDA

View Full Version : CW Limitations: Size and board color

mwildes
08-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I've had my awesome machine for about a month now. The postings here by all of the new and all of the experienced owners has been invaluable. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I have a couple of questions as a new guy with this machine.

1) What is the limitation to carve depth? I know the machine will accept a workpiece 5" thick, but how deep can I carve into it? And, what is the thickest piece that I can create a cutout through? (Using the 1/16" carving bit)

2) Does the color/darkness of wood affect the infrared sensor? I had a scrap piece that was painted brown. I wanted to see the effect of a pre-finished piece, that was then then routed into the lighter wood. But, I kept getting the error "Clear Sensor". I cleaned the sensor several times, ran through the checks listed in the manual, and had no success. Then I tried a piece that was not pre-finished, and the sensor worked fine. Was it the darkness of the piece or the paint itself that made the infrared sensor fail?

Thanks again everybody, and I hope to be an experienced contributor to the forum someday!

pkunk
08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
All those questions have been discussed so many times here before. If you'll utilize the 'search' function. 1" carve/cut depth, use masking tape for the sensor on dark wood or provide more illumination. (i use a LED flashlight during the measuring phase)

ruggybear
08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Carve depth is limited by the length of the flutes on the carve bit which is 1".

mwildes
08-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Thank you for your replies. Your time is most appreciated.

Marty