PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting...

CallNeg151
08-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I haven't had a problem with my first few scans, but today, I tried to scan an object, and ran into a bit of a problem...

I go into the 1) Scan an area, option, and it homes itself without any problem. I am then prompted to jog to a beginning corner. I do so, and press, [ENTER]. At this point, the scanning probe drops perhaps 1/32 in., and then the screen flashes back to the jog to the starting corner prompt rather than asking me to confirm (If I press and hold ENTER, the Press ENTER to Confirm language appears, but disappears as soon as I release ENTER). If I press ENTER again, the probe drops another 1/32 in.

I go to the options and sensor check to try to figure out what is going on- and the probe shows that it is closed, and goes open when I press lightly in any direction. I move the truck side to side and the z-truck up and down, and observe that the sensor numbers appear to change appropriately.

Moving the Z-truck up and down, I don't feel any binds or kinks.

I've re-flashed my firmware, just in case, but it didn't change anything.

So, the question is this: Does anyone have any idea what I might check to determine why the probe is acting this way?

-Eric

Update: I tried carving and it's able to carve just fine. The only problem seems to be when scanning. So, the question is, what exactly is the machine checking when you press the enter key to indicate that you have gone to a corner of the scan, and what would stop it from going down and prompting me to press enter to confirm?

mtylerfl
08-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I haven't had a problem with my first few scans, but today, I tried to scan an object, and ran into a bit of a problem...At this point, the scanning probe drops perhaps 1/32 in...

So, the question is this: Does anyone have any idea what I might check to determine why the probe is acting this way?

-Eric

Hello Eric,

This sounds similar to a problem called "floating" - - - probe won't descend properly, but carving works just fine, as you described.

Call the CW Service Dept. ASAP and let them know the symptoms you are experiencing. Perhaps they can diagnose the problem over the phone.

If the probe is indeed diagnosed as "floating", I've only heard of that problem twice before. It's rather rare.

edzbaker
08-20-2007, 10:28 PM
The machine looks for a "Home" confirmation after you set the first scan point. If it's not found, it wil not send the probe down. (Exactly your machines symptom) It's very possible that your HOME sensor is dirty, or broken. (Homing sensor = Black plastic (With slot in it) mounted on the z truck. Look for cracks, or gently blow any dust out of it. IT's true that firmware 1.120 doesn't use it to HOME, but the SCAN software DOES use it.
I hope this helps...

Jeff_Birt
08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Nope, the scan software in version 1.120 dose not require the homing sensor. I have removed both of my homing flags and scanning works just fine.

It sounds more like a issue with the probe or the little circuit board in the Z-truck.

mtylerfl
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Hello Eric,

Did you call CW yet?

If so, what was the diagnosis?

edzbaker
08-21-2007, 07:05 PM
OK Jeff,, allow me to correct my statment. I should have said "LHR TECH SUPPORT" said: "the scanning proble will not work with a broken Homing sensor."

CallNeg151
08-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm checking it out. I'm hoping to talk the the ever-helpful folks at LHR, on Saturday, since I have a day job that keeps me busy during the week (Thank you LHR for getting Saturday hours!). I'll keep you all posted as to what I learn.

-Eric

Jeff_Birt
08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Ed,

I think the the CW techs were suggesting unplugging the small ribbon cable that runs down to the circuit board in the Z-truck, to eliminate problems associated with a broken home sensor shorting out and messing up the machine. The probe circuitry goes through this same board to if it were unplugged, the probe would not work.

AFAIK, CW is even sending machines back from repair with the homing sensor completely removed from the circuit board. So I guess, the sensor is not needed but if it is still there and broken it could cause a problem. That's the only thing I can think of that they would have been referring to.

CallNeg151
08-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Ed,

I think the the CW techs were suggesting unplugging the small ribbon cable that runs down to the circuit board in the Z-truck, to eliminate problems associated with a broken home sensor shorting out and messing up the machine. The probe circuitry goes through this same board to if it were unplugged, the probe would not work.

AFAIK, CW is even sending machines back from repair with the homing sensor completely removed from the circuit board. So I guess, the sensor is not needed but if it is still there and broken it could cause a problem. That's the only thing I can think of that they would have been referring to.

That would make sense. If the homing sensor's natural position is "open" then removing it would not make any difference (since the machine's homing routine is now mechanically based, rather than sensor based), however having one shorting out or stuck on "closed" might, if there is anywhere in the scanning software that still checks the status of the homing sensor.

CallNeg151
08-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Well, I still haven't been home around any time to call LHR, however, the suggestions above gave me some ideas-

1). I checked the homing sensor, and discovered that it was already broken free of the board, and I just hadn't noticed because I've upgraded to 1.120! (So I just decided to remove it).

2). I checked the z motor pack installation, made sure it was tensioned properly, etc., and it seemed fine.

3). I went ahead and ran the sensor test again. I checked the probe status, and it was closed, wiggled it a bit, and it went to open when I wiggled it. Then, just for giggles, I moved the z truck up and down, and the probe seemed to stay closed, but just then I thought I noticed a flicker. I pulled out a bright light so I could see the panel really closely, and did it again, and lo and behold, the probe sensor rapidly flashes (almost imperceivably fast) between open and closed as I move the z truck up and down. So, what could this be? I'm thinking maybe the ribbon cable broken and is rapidly opening and closing as the ribbon bends, or perhaps there's a loose solder joint on the little board and it opens with vibration. Who knows, maybe I'll even have time to check it out this week.

-Eric

P.S. Thank you everyone for all of your helpful suggestions, you guys are great!

Jeff_Birt
08-23-2007, 08:41 AM
There are a few possibilities.

A ) The small ribbon cable running down to the Z-truck
B ) The small circuit board in the Z-truck was damaged when the sensor broke
C ) The probe itself has an intermittent contact
D ) The board sensor wiring is pinched, this is unlikely as you would see symptoms while carving too.

CallNeg151
08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
There are a few possibilities.

A ) The small ribbon cable running down to the Z-truck
B ) The small circuit board in the Z-truck was damaged when the sensor broke
C ) The probe itself has an intermittent contact
D ) The board sensor wiring is pinched, this is unlikely as you would see symptoms while carving too.

I'm thinking A or B. I removed the probe from the quick change and shook it around a little bit while reading the probe sensor, and it stayed closed, same with flexing the wire from the probe.

Is there any way to get at the circuit board without removing the Z-truck? I'm a bit apprehensive about doing that, since I've heard told on this board that that taking apart the Z-truck is a bad thing, especially since I'm on warranty. I think I can get at the ribbon cable, so I'll try that, but I think the little board might be a send the machine back home type of repair. :-(