PDA

View Full Version : Carving bits

JimmieJames
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
The carving bit (1/16" )I orderd from the carvewright site are a little larger than the 1/16" one that came with the machine is this normal or did I get the wrong carving bits.??

Gman_Ind
08-17-2007, 08:08 AM
JJ,
As far as I know there is only one tapered carving bit for this machine. It would be impossible to order the wrong one from LHR.
FYI: Precisebits.com are actually a bit shorter, perhaps your original bit is a Precisebit.com bit ?

HerbO
08-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Tonight I was carving and heard a high pitch sound. Stopped the carver and one of set screws was loose. I purchased the carving and cut bits off of LHR a couple of months ago for spares. Decided to use the new bit and loctite the old later. The new bit was smaller.

HerbO

JimmieJames
08-20-2007, 08:45 AM
When I ordered the carving bits they were on backorder,I think they may be getting them from diffrent suppliers. The new one is larger and also has more twists than the original bit I got.

Jeff_Birt
08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
I think the problem is all in terminology. Using "larger' and 'smaller' when referring to cutting bits doesn't convey any useful information as no one else know what is larger or smaller. I'm not attempting to be a smart alec, just trying to clear up any confusion.

The cutting surfaces are called flutes (what you called twists). The length of the flutes determine how deep the tool can cut, depth of cut. The round part of the tool, above the flutes, is the shank. The diameter of the ball on the end of the tool is where the 1/16" measurement comes in. The bit also has a taper as it goes from the diameter of the shank to the diameter of the tip. These are only some of the common specifications of a cutting tool. There are many more. As you can see saying smaller or larger may mean different things to different folks.

The new bits from precisebits.com have four flutes and a shorter shank than the original bits from CW. The only difference is that they don't stick out as far from the adapter. This was done to reduce the 'run-out', or wobbling at the tip of the bit, and improve the carve quality. CW may well be getting their bits from precisebits or just came to the same conclusion. Both the original longer shank and newer shorter shank will work fine in the machine.

Gman_Ind
08-20-2007, 09:11 AM
I would recommend 'chocking up" on the bit, don't let it stick out as far, this will reduce the run out.
Length is automatically compensated during bit discovery.