PDA

View Full Version : Arched moulding

usd5000000
08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm trying to make a 24" radius piec of arched moulding to go around a niche I built.

I'm trying to use two arcs 24" and 26" radius, offset by 2" and connect them. I thought this would be easy to do....NOT!

I can't seem to specify and arc angle to guarantee the two quarter circles I wanted to cut out. So I drew two big circles and tried overlaying my arcs on the circle, but the software keeps crashing after a while. Not immediately
and not every time, but always before I can finish.

I understand I'm drawing outside the board dimensions, but I was going to rotate the piece onto the board after designing it.

NOW WHAT????

I appreciate any help someone can give me.

Also, I'd like to start with pattern work, but CorelDraw X3 is pretty steep price and possibly learning curve -wise. Any lower cost alternatives that would do the job for making shading clip art?

Anyone try open source options?

Deolman
08-16-2007, 04:38 PM
One of the programs that I have been playing with lately and also exports out 2D PNG files, is Google Sketchup. The price is great - it's free! The learning curve isn't bad either. It definitely can draw the arcs you want and then you can disect them however you want to. Just go to:

http://sketchup.google.com/

and download it. It also has a good tutorial to get you started.

If you want more of their free stuff, including a free replacement for an Office program, go to:

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en&gl=us

and download frrom there.

DustyUsr
08-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Deolman, I have Google Sketchup on my system, don't know how to use it but, I am not CAD Savy, anyway can you import a pattern from Designer to Sketchup and clean it up?, I have some patterns that were given to me that need to be cleaned up a bit but don't know how.
Any help would be GREAT!!!!!
Thanks for all of your support.
Michael

PhotoProf
08-17-2007, 07:22 AM
I downloaded Sketchup and started playing around with it. Is there anyplace that you can change scale. The drawing scale seems more architectural than for smaller pieces. A little line is like 30-40 inches. Has anyone tried to import one of these files into Designer?

Gman_Ind
08-17-2007, 09:10 AM
I went old school on this, I calculated the line segment the arc would fall on 24"=33.94" and 90 degree arc R26=36.7 rounded off of course.
I made these lines than made arcs these lengths then constrained the arc radius to your 24 and 26" I eyeballed the placement zooming way in using a constrained 2" 90 degree line, I used H centering to keep it all lined up.
I hope this helps.
I updated the file, I removed the construction line segments and joined the ends for you.
I was a CAD draftsman for years, years ago and this would have been 300% easier to do with my CAD package then import into designer.

Deolman
08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
I am not using Google with the idea of cleaning up files. I use it to create a simple design. Then I export it out as a PNG file. Sometimes I will then do additional manipulations in Photoshop to get the final look-specifically grayscale. Once again, I will save it as a PNG file and then import it into Designer.

It does start out with big dimensions, but you can zoom in to a small area and work it that way. Sketchup is not a do-it-all program; it is just another tool in the toolbox to use when needed.

usd5000000
08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your feedback!

I was too lazy to do the math - thanks!

Doing the design in TurboCAD or Sketchup would be easier, but since I'm new I wasn't sure how to convert it into something that Designer would use and not distort.

I've used Sketchup and it is great. It's the easiest to use 3D drawing program. The only problem is that I still need to figure out how to get from Sketchup to cutting an accurate piece. I have to find time to play with it. Also, I have to see if it will do good grayscale shading the way Designer wants to see it. Maybe we should start a thread regarding our experience with Sketchup? The free version was not meant to be easier to export your designs. The pro version is $500.

Thanks!

Gman_Ind
08-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I am more familiar with other packages but the vector pieces in designer will allow you to get the job done, you just need to re-think how you do it. I know with Autocad there are at least 3 ways to do this same design. and I can choose what one I am more comfortable with.
Bottom line, we either need a way to import dxf or iges data, or need more vector editing tools in the designer package.

usd5000000
08-18-2007, 12:44 AM
The new advanced software release is supposed to be able import DXF and some other formats. I think GCODE, but not sure about 3D formats like IGES,STP.... I hope better drawing tools is also going to be part of the package, but the customer service folk couldn't tell me any more.

I could have done it my way if the program wouldn't keep crashing. It needs a way to log crashes so LHR's software can fix problems more easily.

Thanks,
Jeff