PDA

View Full Version : Carved Puzzlebox

stickman
08-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is a quick picture of the recent chess puzzlebox that was parially crafted with carvewright. The secret drawers only open when the chess pieces on the top are arranged so that black or white side wins.

BobHill
08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Now that's a great project, Stickman. Would you like to post your plans and more details for this. I've not seen one of these before and I can think of all sorts of games that this would fit very nicely.
Bob

Router-Jim
08-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Your project is very attractive and well done. Congrats! :)

Jim

RanUtah
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Very nice!

Aaron B
08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
That is a stunning piece and useful. Great job.

DustyUsr
08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
As I was told by an old Drill Sgt. of mine one time, "OUT F%$&'N STANDING.
Sorry about the saying if anyone was upset.
Thanks for all of your support.:rolleyes:
MES

Ivanq
08-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Beautiful and very unique.

Wonderful work to say the least.

Cliff

forqnc
08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
The secret drawers only open when the chess pieces on the top are arranged so that black or white side wins.
Could you expand on this. How does wood know who has won?
Great looking piece.

Gman_Ind
08-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I like to looks of this. I see things I understand, as well as some I do not, The Griffins and side details appear to be CW made, the composition of the image appears to be Photoshoped?

oldjoe
08-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I too would also like to see more details on how certain pieces place a certain way unlocks it but I am sure that is part of the puzzle as with why the chess board only has 25 squares verses the ones I have see have 64 squares. Coarse I can barely play a game of checkers much less the stratagies behind chess. But I have to say it is a beautiful piece of work and I am jealous of it. My work is simple compaired to that.

stickman
08-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Additional pictures show the interior mechanics of the carved puzzlebox. All gears, cams, and pinions are also made of wood. Internal mechanics move as the top is rotated, which also causes the chess pieces on the top to move magnetically. For a more detailed description, go to www.cubicdissection.com where the box is described and pictured in greater detail.

Robert

stickman
08-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Could you expand on this. How does wood know who has won?
Great looking piece.

Go to www.cubicdissection.com to get a better description of how the box works.

stickman
08-17-2007, 11:07 PM
I really did do the exterior of this box entirely with the carvewright, no photoshop at all. (See the closeup of the box). In fact, the carvewright entirely paid for itself with the sale of just two of these boxes. Again, for a description of how it works go to www.cubicdissection.com . I have enjoyed woodworking for the last 6 years, and I love that this new CNC machine has given me the ability to add a new dimension to my work.