PDA

View Full Version : X-axis gears - THANKS EVERYONE!!!

ChrisAlb
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
To all,

I can't thank all of you enough. The outpouring of help and advice has been... well.... somewhat heart warming at least.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did get hold of tech and my new gears are on the way. So you need not reply to my original post anymore. They sent them yesterday overnight so I'm expecting to be carving again today as soon as I determine what actually caused this in the first place.

I'm actually glad this happened because I've met some pretty nice folks through all this including a man who live only a couple miles away. THANKS AL!! lol

Happy carving everyone and thanks again!! :D :D

Gman_Ind
08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Glad to hear it is working out for you. Yes this is a great place filled with helpful folk!
Back to the technical side, check your down pressure by putting a bathroom scale in the machine under both rollers so you can read the weight while turning the handle. crank it down until it clicks a few times, read the pressure. repeat a few times. the average of these #'s is your average down pressure.
I found mine can be too heavy but I learnrd to crank down the head after being prompted by the machine to insert the board. I quit cranking down when it reads enter to continue, even it it does not click even once. Usually a single click is good for my rig, less for a narrow project.
each machine is a bit different this way, it is worth the effort to get to know your particular machine, This is my second machine and the first was 'lighter' on the down pressure.