PDA

View Full Version : Carve region within a carve region

JimStaley
08-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I want to carve a 7 inch diameter region, 1/2 inch deep, within a 1/4" deep region carved inside a 12 inch diameter circle. The smaller carved region won't show up on the screen. I've tried all the possible clip carving settings and merge styles. I've tried the large area first and the small area first, but I can't get it. I'd appreciate some help.

Jon Jantz
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey Jim...

Select your outer region, and click on the 'Additive Merge' button. That oughta do it.

Later,
Jon

Edited to add: After re-reading your post, I may have it backwards... is this the effect your looking for or does the inner area need to be HIGHER instead?

JimStaley
08-15-2007, 01:00 PM
That's the effect that I want, but, as I said in original post, I tried additive merge among other things and nothinf changes.

Jon Jantz
08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Jim, you need to have the 'Normal Merge Style' on the inner region, and apply the 'Additive Merge Style' to the outer region. On the file you posted, the inner region had a 'Negative' applied to it... I changed it to 'Normal', the outer to 'Additive' and this is what I got.

JimStaley
08-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Thank you so much. Now, another question if you don't mind. I'd like to feather the inner rout. When I select the inner circle and clcik on feather 1/2 inch, nothing happens.

Jon Jantz
08-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Jim, I've played around with that and it appears the outer region chops the feather off the inner region. If you move the inner region where it hangs out of the outer piece, the feather will appear, but I cannot get it to show when it is inside.

I think that's a little more complicated than Designer can handle at the moment. If you use Coreldraw though, it'd be easy as pie to do that in it, then import it back into Designer...