PDA

View Full Version : HELP! x-axis drive gears

ChrisAlb
08-15-2007, 06:22 AM
Does ANYONE know if there's a place to buy parts directly for this machine???

Mine was delivered on Monday August 6. On Thursday the 9th after a total cutting time of 8 hrs., the x-axis drive gear failed. I've been on the phone, left messages and sent pictures of the gears to supports email but I have yet to speak with a "Tech" so NO ONE there is helping me. I've asked them several times to just send me the darn parts so I can get this machine up and running. NO RESPONSE YET!!

As this is not a hobby for me, it costs me money every day it's down. PLEASE, if anyone knows where I can just buy the parts or how to actually get CarveWright to care.... let me know asap!

Thanks All

Chris

Jeff_Birt
08-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Who the heck are you calling?? Everyone else seems to be able to talk with a tech, and get parts sent to them no problem. make sure you are calling LHR/CW NOT Sears. LHR has techs on duty 9:00-6:00 Monday-Saturday, surely you can get a hold of someone. The gear you mention fails due to the board getting jammed in the machine because:

A) Your board sides were not parallel
B) You pushed the rear guide plate too tight up against the board
C) Your board was too big and heavy

In other words, operator error, but hey we have all been there, had one of my sleds stick last weekend as I made it just a bit too big (14 5/8" wide).

Al, a.k.a. Digitalwoodshop, has even posted pictures and a description of the R&R of the gear (and part# too I think).

So, make sure you are actually calling LHR/CW, you can get their phone number from 'Contact Us' on the main page, there is an 1-800 number that has been posted here many times too.

ChrisAlb
08-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the response...

The good Ole boys in Texas... who else?? 713-473-6572, option 4. I've spoken with some very friendly folks but never a tech. They tell me they'll call me back and never do. Apparently, their bent on diagnosing the problem. That's fine with me as I 'd love to know what "caused" it but right now I just need the parts sent. At first I thought the cause was too much head pressure but I weighed it (bathroom scale) and it sits at 70 lbs.

I've had no board jams. Cut 3 little projects under rollers (getting my feet wet with machine and software) out of 1 x 6 clear pine pre-ripped straight on my table saw and no cups. (I read the manual..lol). Cut all 3 test pieces fine. Sorry, not operator error.

Loaded a fourth and the x-axis table starting jerking, stopped it, checked everything and started again. Still jerking and the "skip" spaces were getting larger. I knew exactly what it was. A gear.

Anyway, I'm calling them once again this morning as soon as they're there as I've done for 2 days now. We'll see what happens today...lol

Jeff_Birt
08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Chris, I would still vote for A or B being the root cause :). To be sure slide your stock all the way through the machine after positioning the rear guide (the guide should not be tight against the stock), before lowering the head. I would assume with the broken gear removed you can move the belts by hand and eliminate a mechanical problem causing one of the belt assemblies to lock up. My point is that gears seldom just break, there is a reason that it broke and unless you find the root cause, your likely to break the new gear too, and that would stink :mad:.

ChrisAlb
08-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Well, I know nobody's perfect and I certainly fit the bill but I'm sure there was no binding of any kind. I actually do move the board back and fourth after setting the guide as the manual suggests. (would have anyway, just seems a logical step). I agree with you 100% that "something" did cause this and as I said, I intend to diagnose that cause.

I guess I'd just feel better having the parts so I could have reassembled this puppy last week. After all, for a truly thorough diagnosis, it should be in working order to be checked, adjusted and calibrated. I had no intent of simply putting in new parts and using it again...lol

Anyway, they're just about to open so I need to call them now. Thank You so much for your responses Jeff and keep them flowing. As a 30 woodworker, I'm thrilled to be a part of this community.

Chris

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Chris,

I live 14 miles from you in Shohola. I have 2 extra gears. Road Trip? You can have one on loan tonight. That quick enough for you Neighbor?

570-685-WOOD (9663)

Pocono Digital Woodshop

AL

RC Woodworks
08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Chris, I was on the phone several times yesterday. I found out they are low on staff this week. Most of the techs and supervisors are on vacation or out of the country.

I call and I am always directed to a supervisor, still don't know why? But being short handed I was able to talk to a tech Dave. He was very helpful, yet very difficult to get a hold of.

So just keep hitting redial if you have time. Normally you can get a tech right away. So don't blame the the few techs, you will receive excellent service when you get a live person. Plus don't be afraid to listen to the other members also, we have been through it.

The machine is great but it will need maintance.

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Looks like the post man beat me to the punch.... or DHL or FedEX.

Good Luck,

AL

RanUtah
08-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Like Rick, I've talked to Dave the last three days, never had a problem getting in touch with anyone. But keep us posted on the solution.