PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of the Z Truck

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
My Z is waiting for some bearings. The Left upper bearing screw became loose and I tried to hold the nut with a scribe and damaged the bearing.

This is WHY LHR has a policy of only letting LHR Techs work on the Z Truck.... With almost 400 hours on this unit I talked them into selling me the bearings and I will replace the Z now and have the Y in Standby. I requested the screws too just to be safe. Stripped heads are NO fun.

Found my wrench for my HVLP sprayer is a thin 14 mm and works great. I will look for the parts breakdown and see how much they cost for replacements. Or another part for Ron. I have some screwdrivers that have a spring loaded tip to hold brass barrel nuts for Electronic Switchboards. This worked GREAT for the nuts on the back of the bearing screw.

In the end to tighten the screw that was loose you would need to remove the Z pack per the instructions from LHR then loosen and turn the 2 right hand Z bearing holders that are eccentric and are used to set the tension on the hardened rails that the Z rides up and down on.

Getting this adjustment correct is very important. Too loose and parts wear and with a spinning mass becomes a liability if the thing comes apart at full speed. Too tight and the Z pack is over stressed and will burn out.

I feel confident as is my prior life in the Navy I spent the first half of my career fixing Analog Gun Fire Control Computers. It was full of gears, synchros, servos, couplers, bearings, and backlash spring adjustments. Over time you develop a feel for it. It was a real screwup on my part messing up the bearing like I did. Had I seen the other end and understood the assembly I would be cutting right now with the disassembly and reassembly done without damaging the parts. Next time I will know. That is why I am writing this as a primer for the guys that might attempt it after warranty and the guys that are unsure and will now send the $2000.00 unit in for a $200.00 repair.... Well worth it.

I should say again that LHR frowns on anyone playing with the Z Truck for the many reasons including liability. Proceed with caution.

For now I will just post picture of what the Z looks like under the hood.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Had to disassemble it to try to tighten the left bearing screw nut.

AL

JOHNB
08-14-2007, 11:12 PM
What If That "pin" Did Come Out? ;) Might Make It Easier If Working On That Truck? What Do You Think

JOHNB
08-14-2007, 11:14 PM
My Z Sensor Broke In 2 While Carving A While Back. Luckily Dont Need It Right Now..

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Shown in one of the picture is the wires going down to the board detector.
In the beginning I was cleaning the detector when I really had a dark board. A piece of white paper on the board will let you know if the sensor is really bad or the board is too dark.

While cleaning my sensor I pulled the wires down some to better get the plug back in. In the process of that pulled this TOP end of the wire and it slipped to the side of this plastic cover and the wires were being pinched between the plastic and the metal. After a few days it wore through the wire insulation and shorted out my detector and then my whole sensor system. My unit went back to LHR for replacement of the wire and other parts. Use caution pulling on the sensor. For peace of mind look here and see that your wires are in the proper place.

AL

Pictures 3, 4, and 5 show the eccentric adjustment for the Y Axis.

RC Woodworks
08-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Good gravy Al is there not a part of the CC you have not tore apart!!! Wow you are my hero!!! For now on I am going to send my machines to you for repair.

Hey there you go start a business fixing out of warranty CC and CW! I just wish I could discover something for the machine, like all the other genuis in here! I am jealous!!!

Guess that is why I am just a dumb ol sign maker!! Lol now not all sign makers are dumb just me!!!

Let us know what else you take apart I am learning a lot from you my friend!

Rick

Skyhawk
08-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Getting this adjustment correct is very important. Too loose and parts wear and with a spinning mass becomes a liability if the thing comes apart at full speed. Too tight and the Z pack is over stressed and will burn out.

AL

I had the opportunity to replace my bearings a while back...good move on ordering the screws too, they are made of very soft metal and will most likely strip when you remove them.

Adjusting th ebearing is critical as you mention, and there is a fairly simple way to do this...simply mount the assembly on the chassis and tighen the adjuster while turning the outside of the bearing with your fingers. Once the bearing can no longer spin freely, back off of th eadjuster about 1/4 turn...the bearing should still not be able to be turned by hand. Move the truck on it's rails by hand...it should be a fluid easy movement!

RC Woodworks
08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I really need to get a life.....

AL

Next will be pictures of my dogs.....

That cut motor is built very well and with regular maintenance could last a very long time. Brushes and bearings..... If I could find a few more motors I could send a working motor while someone sends me the bad motor for rebuilding out of warranty.... TILT..... There must be something in the rules about posting something like that..... LHR is in business to make money and design and build more fantastic products......

Don't do that Al I am enjoying learning from you! I am impressed with your skills. I just send my stuff in for repair.

Keep up the good work!!!

Rick

liquidguitars
08-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Nice work!

LG

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Last day crunch before the craft show... Wish I had some of the other projects done to sell but this is the first in a series of shows leading up to Christmas so I will just be happy with what I did. A one man shop has the benefit of no payroll but you don't get everything done either. A compromise, of fun and business.

AL

RanUtah
08-19-2007, 03:58 AM
Hats off to guys like you that are in the trenches and doing some of the dirty work that most of us would be lost doing. A true trail blazer and much appreciated! I know I'm learning a lot.

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Bump......