PDA

View Full Version : CCM fix?

Semper Fi
08-13-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure if I stumbled upon a fix for the CCM error message, but since I've taken the filter off the cut motor air outlet I've not had one stoppage. I was getting the error almost every carve before. I just happened to touch the filter bag when the machine was running and it seemed warm and not flowing a lot of air, so I removed it to see if it was obstructed and the volume of air coming out of the hole was very noticably greater. I use a downdraft table and I haven't observed any particles coming out of the unfiltered air and it's cool air now, so it's staying off. Not sure if this is the fix for everybody, but it sure seems to have cured mine. I think the motor must be heat sensitive. Give it a try.

Ernie

Andy C
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
See my post in another area on not using and cleaning the bag.

Andy

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Tried removing the bag and same CCM for me. So no luck.

Did try the amateur EMI detector the other day with a AM radio and my 2 machines but no difference on the radio.

It must be a software speed monitoring issue.

It must be written into the program a set of instructions that when first starting to cut for the "First" time in a project to check the RPM sensor .100000065 microseconds after giving the command to start the motor.

I appears to me that normally when my motor was running on the first set of brushes before the CCM problem, it started quicker and got up to speed quicker like a well running motor. NOW.... Post brush change it takes twice as long to come up to speed when doing a side by side test with the 2 units.

SO..... I think now .1000000065 seconds (just a funny random example of time) after the start command with my slower to start motor the sampling of the RPM sensor detects the slower then expected speed and now goes into open loop mode or no speed control applying full voltage to the motor causing the full speed conditional. Then it shuts down. I other words, speed control uses the RPM sensor to detect speed and if you are cutting really hard stuff that is slowing down the motor it adjust the cut speed and X,Y, Z motion. That's Closed loop mode. Open loop mode is "Just get the job done casualty mode" in my opinion.

Does everyone else getting this CCM notice the high RPM speed just before shutdown?

Does everyone getting CCM only get it for the first bit in a cut and in NO Other start up's?

AL

TerryT
08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Mine was doing it every single project within the first 30% or so. Usually around 10 or 12%. Funny thing though, I built a downdraft table and got one more ccm at about 70%. I sealed around the bottom of the unit so all the vacuum would pull through the machine and not out from around the bottom and guess what....... no more ccm. Of course I have only done a couple of projects since but It just may be the extra volume of air passing through the machine keeping it cooler. I may have to vote for a heat issue.

Terry

Ivanq
08-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Ernie you may be right. I'm one that gets the CCM error on every cut. I read your post about not putting on the dusk bag/muffler so I just tried it - Bingo! - no CCM error.

Then I remembered on the very first cut I ever made on this machine I didn't get the error - I'd forgot to put on the collector. The next cut I did and then got the error. Funny, I didn't connect the two.

Although the machine is much louder (especially that high pitched whine) I can live with it and the neighbors haven't said anything YET!

Anyway, thanks very much for the tip. Hope it's a permanent cure.

Cliff - - -

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Ya... That high pitch wine.... And I am listening to it on the intercom while I paint stuff. At least I can turn it down...

I am thinking next week after the rush pulling the cut motor and pulling it apart. The speed is a key thing to the CCM. Removing the muffler reduces the back pressure of the turbo charger of a blower... A real screamer.

In my case it didn't help.

AL

rpringle
08-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm sure you are on the right track to remove the costrictive filter. But the air volume does produce some dust.

I use a vacume cleaner bag attached the the base, the bag section pulls apart from the base, then use rubber bands to hold the vacume bag in place.

After many hours of carving, it collected several tablespoons of dust.

Russ

Semper Fi
08-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I've never noticed a higher rpm just before the CCM error, but I always am wearing ear muffs and my Woodsucker really howls (even though it's outside my shop). I'm lucky to live out in the boonies.......so no neighbors. I am almost always carving on red oak or cherry, so the hardness of wood could be a factor, but the bottom line is..... still no CCM errors. Also, a couple of tablespoons of dust over time would not even be noticed in my shop. :) I call dust an acoustical muffler!

Ernie

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Do you still have your magnet?

AL

TerryT
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm on project 5 or 6 since building my downdraft table and not one single ccm warning. Only thing different that I can think of is the volume of air passing through the machine now. It's great being able to start a project and not have to stand there for 5 or 10 minutes waiting to push the button.

Andy C
08-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Never had CCM until it got to the 90's around here.

Has one on a long carve, the crescent wrench. Had one on a shorter carve.

All my blowers where sucking big time when it happened.

Temp's dropped into the 80's - no more CCM.

Andy