PDA

View Full Version : Let's Do Some Portraits

Dirtydan
08-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Portraits are something I'm into. They are Great Family gifts for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Birthdays and just because. They do require a lot of preparation as well as cleanup afterwards, but there is also a lot of satisfaction after all the work is done.

Keys to getting a good portrait carving:

1. High quality picture - Toothie smiles and glasses really add a lot of time to the cleanup.
2. Crop the picture and remove all the background.
3. Save as a .png. If you have done a good job up to this point, Color or Grayscale will come out the same. Grayscale seems to be the most forgiving.
4. Upload the picture into designer. Raise or lower the picture until all the background is gone. If you see any little dimples, you didn’t remove all the un-wanted background.
5. Some times I’ll do a small version on a piece of pine… just to make sure I didn’t miss something. In the mean time, you can see some of my portriats at the link below.

Ok, lets see some portrait carvings… I’ll upload some of mine soon.

rjp736
08-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Awesome explanation of how to do it. Thanks.

Gman_Ind
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Using the pattern editor is a good way to cleanup speckles and smooth out bumpy spots.

oldjoe
08-10-2007, 03:44 PM
dirtydan
Was just at your website great looking work. May have to snatch a couple of those mpc files from you.
Thank for sharing

oldjoe
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh and I forgot to add your are so right about toothy smiles was experimenting with a carving of a Hooters waitress ( okay I'm bad) but she had a really bright smile after carving her into wood she could have eaten corn on the cob thru a picket fence. Everything came out great except for that. Then when I cleaned up the carving I chipped her tooth. Oh well I will try again another day.

rjustice
08-10-2007, 03:58 PM
teeth?... what teeth? LOL

Ron

Dirtydan
08-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Joe, not a problem... Just let me know which ones you want. I still have most of them.

Luv those Hooter's Girls.... ;) They have the best Breast (Chicken) sandwiches around...

Dave-Carve
08-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Nice explanation Of Portrats....... Like To Add 1 Thing ive found over the years of cleaning them up!!!!!!!!!!!!

While cleaning picture up if on a laptop (Think Your Done editing????)
Try this-- Push youre screen down apx 45-60 degree angle, now see all the darker (or Lighter) spots you missed around the edges etc, clean them up while angled and you WILL have a CLEAN picture!!

If on a desk top just look down upon screen at 45-60 degree angle you WILL see the same darker spots do same as above!!!!

TIP Only angle screen one way Up or Down "NOT BOTH"

Above Works on any carve not just portraits

Darker spots come out as higher BUMPS when carved ( unless inverted)
Then come out as deeper BUMPS. Either way if they are there they will be noticeable in your carve!!!!

Good Luck!! Happy Carving !!! Let me know if this helps (or works For You)
Posted before with no comments ????

Dirtydan
08-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Never thought of that... Good Idea...

This is what I do....

1. Crop out the area I want to use.
2. Copy that object
3. Paste it into a new file with a transparent background.
4. Zoom in at 300 to 400 x. In this case, bigger is always better;)
5. Use a large size eraser to knock-out all the big stuff you don't want, but also getting as close to what you want to keep as possible.
6. Use a small size eraser to pick up the details...
7. Save the file as a .png
8. Upload it into Designer... No additional cropping or editing should be needed.

The Large eraser makes the clean up go faster and you are less likely to leave any of those little pixels laying around. The package I use is 'Ulead - Photo Impact' which will show you all those missed items as flashing pixels. At 300 to 400 x their pretty hard to miss.

Dave-Carve
08-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Tryed that but there Always Something or Somebody That needs to be erased Tilting Screen work Excelent Give it a try works in any program!!!
Take one youve already done ZOOM and tilt screen you will see missed Pixels of Gray etc ..
Try it Let me Know .. Been editing photos apx ,Well done it on Packardbell 33mhz. 400 meg hard drive w/16 megs of ram.....
That was a MONSTER at the time I think Moden was 14.4 Phone line ( TEXT ONLY!!!)What a POWERHOUSE:p !!!!!!!!!!!!! Technolagy ???? And Spelling Has come a long way!!!!Amazing!!!!

gcwilson
08-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Gunny,
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I had begun to try some pictures but had not reached where you are. Your post helped. I will try again later today.

gcwilson
08-11-2007, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=gcwilson;29380]
Haven't been a junior anything for a long time.

Dirtydan
08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I've been playing around a long time also... I use to run a BBS called "Dirtydan's Softiewaire Factory" many years ago. Long before the Internet became the thing. The site main areas were devoted to Databases, Graphics and Photo. First Modem was a 300 Baud, and the last one was a 14,400 HST by US Robotics... Boy, that was a zoomer in it's day. Ofcourse, file sizes were a lot smaller then.

"Guess this should have been a private message... Sorry all"

Dave-Carve
08-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Soon You will become a MEMBER :p Think its around 50 post
And Then A SEINOR MEMBER :D at around 100 Post
But Then I dont Know What Happens ????????????
IM Almost There thanks for the help 89 This is 1 more post for me next 90 ????
Sorry PKUNK Wont happen Again !!!

Dirtydan
08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
This took some time. I had to cut off the routed edge because when I routed the holes on the back to hang it, I punched though... Oh well, that was one lesson learned... Pre-planning is not one of my strong points...well for that matter planning period... Why waste time planning, RIGHT???

mtylerfl
08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

That is one of the best looking photo carvings on wood I have seen yet!

Great work!

b.sumner47
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Gunny,Real fine work.Semper Fi.
Barry

911guy
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Real nice work there Dan.....Turned out very well!

Dirtydan
08-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Had to get this out today... Started at 0830 this morning... It's a birthday present for this young lady...turns 23 tomorrow... Last coats of clear drying now...:)

Dirtydan
08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks Mike.... Did a lot of sanding on that one...

Dirtydan
08-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Grandkids - Chloe and Abby

DocWheeler
08-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Gunny,
Those look great - now can you teach me how to do that?

Dirtydan
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Gunny,
Those look great - now can you teach me how to do that?

Well Ken, if you lived closer I'd come over and give you a hand. It's really not that hard, just takes a little more time than most people want to spend doing it. I learn something new on every project...some good and some not so good But that's life... I just try to remember the things that work.

Things to remember:
- Use High Quality Pictures that are not real busy
- Remove all the background from the subject
- Use only hard wood. Oak is OK, but a close grain wood like Purple Heart is Great, and cleans up in about 1/50th the time it would take using Oak. But some people like the look of Oak better..
- Set the picture/pattern as shallow as possible with out losing the subjects definition.

Hope this helps... :p

Dirtydan
08-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Four small carvings 6" x 6", 2 in Oak and 2 in Purple Heart.

1 12" x 24" Pine -Whitewashed...

As you can see, the smaller one didn't come out as nice as the larger 12" x 12" ones posted eariler.

Dirtydan
08-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

That is one of the best looking photo carvings on wood I have seen yet!

Great work!

Thanks, that one was a bear to get done. I had to force myself to work on it... Actual labor time was about 10-12 hours, but it took me almost 2 months from start to finish. Did many other project in that same period, just didn't like working on it. I have another one, just ther daughter that I started the same time, and it's still in work.... I hate sanding...:D

911guy
08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
This took some time. I had to cut off the routed edge because when I routed the holes on the back to hang it, I punched though... Oh well, that was one lesson learned... Pre-planning is not one of my strong points...well for that matter planning period... Why waste time planning, RIGHT???

Dan,
Just out of curiousity, how did you get the faces to stand out? Looks like a walnut type stain. Are the faces a different stain than the surrounding board? Nice work by the way.

Dirtydan
08-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Dan,
Just out of curiousity, how did you get the faces to stand out? Looks like a walnut type stain. Are the faces a different stain than the surrounding board? Nice work by the way.

Craig, I used "Early American" stain. I flood the entire project and then quickly wipe off the areas I want to be lighter.. and then repeat as needed until I get the effect I want. On the Purple Heart, all I did was clear coat them about 4 times...

Thanks for the comments...

Dan

Dirtydan
08-22-2007, 01:26 PM
This took a while, but didn't come out to bad...:cool:

DocWheeler
08-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Dan,

Yeah, I'd say it didn't turned out bad (by a long shot).

911guy
08-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Dan,

Very good work. You have some good talent there! Thanks for the tip about the staining!

Dirtydan
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys...

I'll be posting my oldest daughters wedding picture in a couple of days. Just finished the clean-up, staining and first coat of clear coat. Should be ready by Friday...or sooner...;)

Dirtydan
08-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Well, its not Friday yet, and still need several coats of clear, but here's the project and .png:D

Dave-Carve
08-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Dan
Heres a easy one for you,
This was a freind of mine gave for wedding present !!!
THE EASY WAY OUT ????

The Bright spot on litho is camera FLASH not Litho!!!:rolleyes:
3 pics = ON , OFF ,Org Picture

Dirtydan
08-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Dave,

Email me the full sized picture... .jpg or .bmp

TheGunny@ddsf-ent.com

I'll see what I can do with it... OK

Dave-Carve
08-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Dave,

Email me the full sized picture... .jpg or .bmp

TheGunny@ddsf-ent.com

I'll see what I can do with it... OK

????????????????? No help needed ??
I think we miss understood this is one ive already done just thought you might like these instead of wood ??
For Your carvings ??

Sorry

Dirtydan
08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
That looks GREAT!!! What did you use???

Sawdust607
08-23-2007, 03:48 PM
What program are you using to save it as a pnt? I have Corel and do not know which of the programs to use,

Great work

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Dirtydan
08-23-2007, 05:36 PM
I use a package by Ulead called Photo Impact. You might still be able to find it under that name, but Adobe bought them out so I'm not sure if its still available. It's a very easy package to use.... I'm the evidence of that...:p

mtylerfl
08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

Corel bought Ulead, not Adobe. PhotoImpact is still available.

Dirtydan
08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Well I forgot to take a picture before it was packaged and sent off, but here's a picture from the event. Guess they liked it...

jspringertx
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Outstanding job! Did you use oak?

You have inspired me to try portraits again. Thanks for the techniques.

Dirtydan
08-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Have a retirement Plaque:)

911guy
08-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Nice work Dan. I'm guessing for the letters, you must let the stain soak through longer than the rest of the surface?

Dirtydan
08-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes, although Oak requires the most hard work (clean-up), I like the end results. I like seeing the natural wood and playing around with the stains.

Purple Heart is also great to work with and the results are always very nice, but people are not use to seeing it and seem to like the look of good old Oak...:)

Dirtydan
08-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Nice work Dan. I'm guessing for the letters, you must let the stain soak through longer than the rest of the surface?

You got that right... My next project I'm double staining with two different stains. Pre carving stain will be Ebony and post carving will be a natural/honey Oak stain...over the top.:rolleyes:

BobHill
08-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Dan,

Do you use a cloth to put the stain onto the carved text area or small paint brushes, then sand prior to staining the top wood?

Bob

Dirtydan
08-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Dan,

Do you use a cloth to put the stain onto the carved text area or small paint brushes, then sand prior to staining the top wood?

Bob

Bob,

Assuming I'm using the same stain for the entire project, I brush it into the area's I want darker and then the rest of the wood. Wipe off the surface leaving stain in the carved areas. If the areas I want dark, need more I just re-apply to those areas and wipe off the spots on the surface again. On Oak, this might have to be done three, four or five times...

If I what to use two different stains, I stain the wood with the darker stain first, repeat until I get the color I want. Run the wood through the CW and sand/clean up and then apply the ligher stain to the entire board and then wiping off the stain right away, leaving the excess stain in the carved areas.

If you wanted to use two different stains and use the darker one in the caved area, then your back to the same way you would normally do it, except I'd apply the darker stain to the carved areas and wipe right away, cleaning up the areas on the surface with M.E.K. or something like that, and repeat until I got the color/tone I wanted and then apply the lighter stain to the entire board and wipe off right away. Repeat until I got the color/tone I wanted.;)

Dirtydan
09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Well I've found the world of "Corian" carving... Wood looks 'Neat', but "WOW" the Corian with a back-light is simply "GREAT"... Who would have thought???? Check it out... Sorry about the small back-light...it's the best I can do for now...

pamjmayo
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Congratulations Dan and welcome to the world of Corian. It is beautiful! Pam

Dirtydan
10-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Wedding portriats are the way to go... I'll start a different version of the attached .jpg in corian tomorrow...

TCboy
10-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Looks good dan. cant wait to see what it looks like in corian

Dirtydan
10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Well everything came out OK except for the Lightbox.... :( Still working on that. Haven't quit got the lighting right... :mad: I'm going to line the inside with white paper and see if that makes a difference... :confused: I've attached pictures on the project below.:)

TurkeyBranch
10-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Anyway you can point the light to the back of the box and paint it white on the inside? That would diffuse the light and make it more even

Ed

TurkeyBranch
10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Anyway you can point the light to the back of the box and paint it white on the inside? That would diffuse the light and make it more even

Ed

Dirtydan
10-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Ed

Good idea Ed.... I'll give it a go... Tried just about everything else..

Thanks.. :)

Ok Ed, I tried it... It works, but I have to change my box design to provide a better location for the light...

Thank's again..

rcdages
10-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Hello Dan,

I have been viewing your portrait work in wood_Great!!!!!.

I have a question in regards to the direction of the grain. I see it is running horizontal. Do you find with the portraits that it carves better or is it dependen upon the pattern or size of project.

I have not yet ventured in to the area of portrait/photos yet.

Thanks for the pointers you gave.

rcdages
Robert

Dirtydan
10-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I have a question in regards to the direction of the grain. I see it is running horizontal. Do you find with the portraits that it carves better or is it dependen upon the pattern or size of project.

Robert

Robert,

First, thanks for the kind words...:D

It's mostly because I use Oak a lot and it always seems to come out better that way. I must confess, I've only done a couple running vertical and I didn't care for how they turned out.

Also, I don't use a sled for the wood portraits, if I did size wouldn't make to big of a difference. I do use a sled for my "Corian" portriats. So far they have all been done running vertical, but there's no grain, so the results would be the same.... I just laid out the sled that way...

Because I use the Auto-Jig, and most of my portraits are 10.5" x 10.5" or bigger, the lenght of wood I start with is at least 19" long and 11.5" wide. To carve the portrait running vertical you would have to layout the pattern in Designer on it's side. I'm older now and I don't like twisting my head to the right or left to view it. :p

CustomWestCoast
11-03-2007, 03:29 AM
What are you using to light your Corain lithophanes with?
I have made a couple of lithophanes and used a CFL (compact flourecent light) that has a built-in diffuser. Works great and you don't get that "hot spot" of light behind the picture.

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 12:07 PM
What are you using to light your Corain lithophanes with?
I have made a couple of lithophanes and used a CFL (compact flourecent light) that has a built-in diffuser. Works great and you don't get that "hot spot" of light behind the picture.

Would you please pass on your box design to me... I've been struggling with various designs... and lights.. I tried a flat/round CFL and didn't get the effct I was looking for. The picture with the brownish tint was with the CFL...

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

rogone
11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I really like what all of you are doing with Corian. I have an opportunity to buy some Corian but its color is Bone vs the White that I see everybody using. Does anybody have any experience with using the Bone Corian? I am interested in knowing if it will work well in doing these types of projects. Thanks.

Dirtydan
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I really like what all of you are doing with Corian. I have an opportunity to buy some Corian but its color is Bone vs the White that I see everybody using. Does anybody have any experience with using the Bone Corian? I am interested in knowing if it will work well in doing these types of projects. Thanks.

The only difference should be that the image will have that old Oxide Picture look. I was looking at doing some stuff with a marble corian. Should have and interesting look... We'll see...

Kenm810
11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
rogone,

It's not a very good photo but these are the ones I carved in White and Bone Corian
that I can compare side by side.

Ps. Here's a post and thread you could look at.white corian (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3923&highlight=lithophane)

Dirtydan
11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
rogone,

It's not a very good photo but these are the ones I carved in White and Bone Corian
that I can compare side by side.

Ps. Here's a post and thread you could look at.white corian (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3923&highlight=lithophane)

Looks Pretty good to me Ken... The Sepia (Bone) looks real good...

rogone
11-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I'll go ahead and buy some and see how it comes out once I get my CW back.

Joegris
11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I was a fine are major in college with a minor in photography. I also worked in a few photolabs and used to reproduce photos and sculptures quite a bit. Here are some tips for shooting your projects or reproducing photographs.

Cameras are stupid- even the fancy new digital ones. Camera flashes are never a good idea unless you have a slave setup to use them..It is best to shoot the project/picture with your camera set on manual using an 18% grey card to meter the exposure (don't use a flash) Go into the shade outside on a bright day and check the exposure on something neutral (a grey card or the side of a tree) Use these settings on manual on all of the work, ignoring what your meter says. For best results use a tripod on exposures under 1/60 sec.
For 100 speed film generally F11 at 125th works great in the shade (F16 at 125th in direct sun at your back). For digital cameras where is ISO isn't known it is the same thing, check it on something grey...usually there is a way to lock the exposure...

I'm still learning the CW and can't help people much with that yet, but I hope these tips are useful :). If you need directions on setting up a slave flash setup, just let me know. All of the great work people are doing can also have high quality images to go with them!
Joe

Dirtydan
11-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Well it will be Christmas time real soon, so Grand Kid Portraits are in demand... Here's this weeks project.;)

fyrpuppy
02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't know how well this would work, I get a sale email from harbor freight and they have a battery powered led light strip on sale. Here is the link http://ww4.harborfreight.com/zcom/product/Product.do?compid=100&itemNumber=96793. Thanks for all the info and tips you guys give, I hope to try a lithophane soon still trying to get my hands on some corian, may just have to order the stuff off of the CW store.