PDA

View Full Version : Need to convince my wife we need this machine

Paul Elliott
08-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Everyone,

My wife's only about 50% convinced I need the Carvewright.

When I mentioned it could carve a likeness from a photograph it peeked her interest. I believe the documentation states it is possible to carve a 2D from a photograph.
She'd want me to do Holiday plaques for the family among other things.

Is there anybody in this forum that would be willing to carve from a photograph I could mail/email in just scrap wood so I can convince her? Of course I'd pay for material, labor, shipping, etc... and also owe that person a large favor.

I Want this machine badly.

Thanks, Paul.

Gman_Ind
08-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Do a search here plenty of samples and how to-s in place.
IMHO the back light lithopane is the best way to carve a portrait and keep the original person recognizable.

FINGERS
08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
If you realey want to impress her ask for a photo carving done in plastic, that would blow her mind to see that, do a search for carving in plastic there are some good posting on that.

DocWheeler
08-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Paul,

As Mike and Fingers stated, a photo works better as a backlit translucent material. Although carving wood from a photo is possible, it is very time-consuming.

As for getting her to agree - tell her how happy it would make you.
After that does not work (dumb idea), tell her she can have a new ... or something. There was one "silver-tonged devil" here that convinced his wife that it would create more "quality time with the family".

Go for it!

pamjmayo
08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Ken, I would be happy to do a picture for you in Corian. It will knock her socks off. No charge either. e-mail me a high quality digital picture and I'll work on it. If you want wood, get Sarge to do it, He's the master. Pam

Paul Elliott
08-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Ken, I would be happy to do a picture for you in Corian. It will knock her socks off. No charge either. e-mail me a high quality digital picture and I'll work on it. If you want wood, get Sarge to do it, He's the master. Pam

Pam,
Thank you very much. Corian would be great. (fyi, I'm Paul, not Ken)
I insist on reimbursing you for time, materials and shipping. And I'll still owe you a favor.

Attached photo is of our 20 month old twins. Being well over 50 and working 80 hours a week I'm looking to retire but still want to work doing something I would enjoy.

Never mind, I keep gettting "upload failed" tryning to upload the photo.

Have you ever encountered that problem? Maybe file is too large?

Thanks, Paul.

Paul Elliott
08-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey Al,

No, her only interest right now are staying home and raising 20 month old twin boys. At 50+ years old, I'd like to retire soon and work at something I'd enjoy and this machine seems like a perfect fit.

Thanks.

This forum is great. Can't believe how many responses and how much advice I've received the 1st day I joined.
And a special thanks to Pam who volunteered to carve a photo for me to help convince my wife. Unfortunately the photo upload fails every time.

Paul Elliott
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I emailed the 3.14mb photo to you. Couldn't get it through
to Pam.

Thanks very much for the assist.

I think I have to go buy the machine even if wife doesn't approve.
Sears has the price at 1804.99 through 08/11.

Lin
08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Paul, Keep an eye on Sears online store...They have much better sales on the CW off and on than what you are seeing right now. I got mine near the end of June for 15% off. Saved myself enough so I was able to buy the Probe from LHR when the price dropped back dowm to $299.00. I beleive they have ran the same sale once since then.
Lin

TerryT
08-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Paul,
Carefull what you wish for. My wife wasn't crazy about the idea of me getting this machine at first. Now she is pushing me to do more, she loves painting and finishing them and gets impatient if I go too long without making something for her to paint. I hope I can afford to continue feeding her habit, I think I created a monster! LOL

Kenm810
08-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Husband and wife teams working together on a Hobby, that’s a Good thing, Right ?
Husband and wife teams working together on a Hobby, that’s spending Quality time together, Right ?
Husband and wife teams working together on a Hobby, Therapy with Smiles, Right?
You bet it is! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

DocWheeler
08-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Looks like there are at least two "Silver-tongued" forum members;)

oldjoe
08-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Christmas presents, wedding presents. birthday presents, shower gifts, toys for the grandkids (if you have any) anniveresary presents, and on and on and on. Just look at the money you will save in the long run. :rolleyes: You can spend quality time together coming up with ideas. Dinner and a movie if you sell something once in awhile.
It will take you down new and exciting roads together.

Gman_Ind
08-10-2007, 09:57 AM
My wife bought me my CC after I made her bedroom cabinet/closet wall unit. I told her I might be able to make drawer pulls for it. I have since made several projects she painted and is quite involved with quality control on most projects. ;) she also takes carvings into her work to show off. I have not paid for the machine with projects yet but I am getting my enjoyment out of it!
Ever hear that old quote?
"It is easier to beg forgiveness than get permission" um, don't tell her I told you that one.

Paul Elliott
08-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Pam,
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
The carved Corian photo of our twins came out Great! My wife loved it.
Thanks to you it looks like I'll be trying my first carve next weekend.
Have already started to accumulate accessories and parts on the assumption she'd love it. She's already making notes on what she wants carved to send to family members for Christmas. On the downside, she insists I go to a local crafts fair with her next month to get some more project ideas.

I can't thank you enough, Paul.
p.s. reimbursement will go out in tomorrow's mail.

beachman
08-24-2007, 10:42 AM
paul,i live at atlantic beach,so if your down this way,you can stop and look at mine and check out what it will do

Paul Elliott
08-24-2007, 11:34 AM
paul,i live at atlantic beach,so if your down this way,you can stop and look at mine and check out what it will do
Thanks much for the offer Beachman.
If it weren't for 20 month old twin boys I'd definitely cruise over there. They'd be a nightmare on a 7 hour round trip and they're worse in a hotel.
Then there's also the dogs and I haven't finished installing the dog door yet.
I plan on carving on my own machine by next weekend. Can't wait.
Thanks again.

oldjoe
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Would it be possible to see a post of the carving??

Paul Elliott
08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Would it be possible to see a post of the carving??
I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow and buy a suitable light source so I can get a picture.

pamjmayo
08-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, I've never posted anything I've done but I'll try and see if I can attach a picture of Paul's twin boys carved in Corian. I tried but file is too big. How do I zip? Pam

oldjoe
08-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Pam: I don't know what photo editor you have but in the one I have you can save a picture for the web which somehow magicly makes it small enough to post here.

Gman_Ind
08-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, I've never posted anything I've done but I'll try and see if I can attach a picture of Paul's twin boys carved in Corian. I tried but file is too big. How do I zip? Pam
Funny you should ask I posted this already. http://carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3040&highlight=resize
the size limit here is 172k try 800x0600 or 640 x480 will work for sure.

pamjmayo
08-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Thanks GMAN . I've downloaded the program, now let's see if I can do this.

pamjmayo
08-29-2007, 01:40 AM
I was so sure my upload wouldn't work, I forgot to tell you all what it is. It's Paul's twin sons that he asked me to carve in corian. This was to convince his wife that he could buy the CC. Well, she loved the carving and a new machine is on it's way to his house. Thanks for all the help. Pam

JOHNB
08-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Pam; You Can Do Lithopanes! Looks Good

oldjoe
08-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Great job Pam the lithopanes look great and the way you took the time to do a project to help them make the decission to purchase a machine. I think Sears should send you a commission check for that sale.

Gman_Ind
08-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks GMAN . I've downloaded the program, now let's see if I can do this.
I am glad I could help you. You helped Paul get a machine, that is terrific.
Now you know how to post pictures we expect more of your fine work posted here!

Paul Elliott
08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
My thanks to everyone on the forum for their help in getting my own machine, especially Pam.

Thank you so much Pam for all your time & effort. The lithopane came out excellent. That's her favorite picture of the boys and I thought she was gonna start crying when she saw it. She loves it.
Instead, she got a pen and paper and started making a list of things she wants me to make with the machine. Kinda puts a delay on anything I was going to do with it. But that's what usually happens with any new toy I get.

What did you use for lighting when you took your picture of the litho?
I bought the 9w FEIT flourescent someone on the forum recommended but it died after about 15 seconds so I couldn't get a decent picture to post.

Thanks again to everyone.
p.s. I've already received all the machine accessories and am chomping at the bit to try my first carve. Have the full bit set, probe, extra belts, extra carving/cutting bits, bit adjustment tool & T-9 lube.

pamjmayo
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the wonderful comments on my first posting. Sure made me feel good. Paul, I bought a bookend from walmart. ( 2for $1.00) and velcroed a metal halide on one and a 9" fluorescent on the other. I've discovered the carvings fit in a regular frame. I frame it, balance it with the bookend and use whatever light I like best with it. The bookends are great because they keep the light the right distance from the picture. The velcro lets me position the light wherever I want it to give it the best lighting. Pam

Lin
08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Pictures Pam...Pictures. I need to see what you are talking about on how you set up the lighting. I have some corian to try the lithopanes but haven't a clue how to build a shadow
box. Pretty please with sugar on top...lol
Lin

pamjmayo
08-29-2007, 07:38 PM
I'll try and get these for you tonight. Pam

Lin
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks lady...no rush...whenever you can.
Lin

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Here are a few pictures to show you how I do mine. I might have to send you several messages to get the pictures in.

cut a piece of wood the width of the corian
route 1/4" as close to the front as you can
insert corian ( push hard)
insert frame over corian, when it looks good, glue it in place
place light behind the picture. (you can make the wood 8" long if you want and place the light directly on the wood behind the frame.

I velcro the light to the bookend.

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Here are a few more shots.

Lin
08-30-2007, 04:40 AM
The light...so to speak is starting to come on...lol Do you also use velco on the bottom of the light and board or just the backside? Where are you purchasing your frames? Are these 8 x 10 lithopanes or smaller ones? What type of glue to hold the frame to the wood solidly? Where are you purchasing the lights from? And which type of light works best?...I see two types in the pics. Thanks Pam for taking the time to do the pics and post them.
Lin

JOHNB
08-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Pam, Looks Good. I Think You Got It. Please Tell Us Your Settings For The Machine.(depth, Height, Bit, Etc.etc.?)

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Lin, I hope I can remember each of your points. I only put Velcro on the back of the bookend and the back of the light. That way I can adjust the height as needed. I buy my frames from Wal-Mart of Michael's, whoever has the best deals. The pictures I showed you don't even fit in the frames I took pictures of. I didn't have anything that was the right size to show you. For the real carvings, I select my frame and then cut the Corian to fit it. I can use all sizes of frames. The reason I have picked out the 8 X 10 as my favorite is that is the size of my sled and I don't want to build a new one or change my original. Each size that you do ( 5X 7) (3X5) requires different placement on the sled. So, being unduly lazy, I make sleds for each size so I can just pop it in mindlessly when I'm ready. Remember what I told you ( I think). After you make your sled. Find out where the carve is going to start first before you put your Corian in. I just cover my sled with 1/4" board, center everything as the machine asks for it , mark the spot and that's where I place each piece. OK. next, the lighting, I love metal halide but it gets really hot so next best is the mini fluorescent bulb and fixture that I've shown. They are around 8 or 9 dollars. The light that would be really sweet is a battery operated so you don't need to deal with cords. With the velcro idea, try out all kinds of little mini ligts as you find them and see what you like. The long fluorescents are nice because you can adjust the height so much. The other thing to do if you want something nice, (I don't sell mine, they are just for me to use) is place a 9" x 2" length of board to the back of your 5" or 8" stnad. Cover it with velcro and you don't even have to mess with the bookend. Now that I have an idea that works, I should try to pretty it up so I can sell them with my pictures. I hope I remember everything you asked. Pam

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I forgot to answer two questions. Glue..I buy clear gel tacky glue. Any really quick setting tacky glue will work.

Settings. I set the depth at .125, the height usually at 65, no angle.

Pam

pamjmayo
08-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Lin, maybe the most important item you can purchase to carve corian is a dust collector. You'll be coughing your lungs up without one. I don't know if I mentioned this or not but I'm a walking example of what happens when you don't use one. Also, your machine breaks down more often as the dust covers all parts. So...add $200 to $300 to the price of your machine to carve Corian.

Pam

Lin
08-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Got that part covered already Pam...I only carved one piece before I built a downdraft table for the CW to hook to my dust collector.
I don't quite understand what you mean by finding where the carve will start before placing your corian in place...Help me out there. I have sorta used a sled of sorts for wood. I just used carpet tape on the back of the board that would be carved and two other pieces to make up the 7" to stay under the rollers and all pieces were carpet taped to a 1/4" piece of luan. Luan was same size as the three pieces together of wood I used. I just stayed under rollers and centered when ask by the machine and did not cut to size. I can always cut to size on the scrollsaw if need be...Even the corain cuts very easily on the scrollsaw. You are being extremely helpful here with all the questions we are asking...thanks so much for taking the time.
Lin