PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's first carve

dannirr
08-02-2007, 08:45 PM
OK, I know you guys/gals are way good at this stuff - but I have never done anything in wood before beyond building the workbenches in my garage. So, here are my first two attempts at simple stuff

A sign for the dog's kennel and a tic tac toe board for the kids

Thanks

Danni

Kenm810
08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Danni,

We all started wood carving as newbies at one time or another.

Carving something for yourself, your family, or your home, I would say is a fine place to start.
Please keep the photos coming. And thank you for sharing them. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Dave-Carve
08-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Danni

I Like That TIC TAC TOE Board Must beat paper and pencil:eek:
Nice Carve :cool: Now I Have a New Project !!!!!!!!!!!!

oldjoe
08-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Danni;
I have had my carver for almost 4 months now and I am proud to say I am still learning the things it can do, its like I have this Ferrari and I can't drive it over 45mph. With the day to day life of work and family I just don't have the time it takes to learn everything.
The work you posted may be seem simple compared to what some people do here but I liked what I saw and very original I would have stayed with a pencil and paper with tic tac toe never would have thunk it in wood before. Did you do the whole board in the CC or did you carve it and then cut it to size in another saw?
And yes keep posting your work I plan on it just as soon as I can find where I downloaded the pictures to in my computer, I suffer from Partzimers, I only temporarily forget where I put things, and the stuff I do is even simpler then what you did. But I will post it anyway. Its good to be proud of your work,

dannirr
08-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I did the whole tic tac toe board in CW. Was really very simple. Now I need colored marbles, or better still, perhaps some polished pebbles.

Danni

BobHill
08-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Danni,
I know I'm dating myself, but your Tic-Tac-Toe board (good job) reminds me of the game we used to play in grade school as kids: the cigar box (where are those, any more) with a hole in the lid, then a circle drawn around it on the ground. Pitching marbles at the lid, which was angled on the open edge to the bottom of the box, would cause the owner to keep the marble if it didn't make the hole, or would win the thrower five marbles if it did get into the hole. That's a box that could easily be built with the CarveWright ... but do kids still play with "marbles"?
Bob

Kenm810
08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Quoting Bob, "I know I'm dating myself"

I too would have to find or buy some new marbles,
my wife Barb accuses me of having lost all my marbles long ago! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Dave-Carve
08-03-2007, 07:28 AM
NO WAY kids today have Lost all there marbles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They have these computer carving machines, Ipods,Cell Phones W/Camera,voice mail,GPS,Text Mail ETC.
WHY would They play with Marbles???????????????
Just Brought Back Some Memories:p MARBLES,SAF POP,etc.

Hey remember When you were a Kid (child) The worst punishment you could Get was the old " GET IN THE HOUSE YOUR GROUNDED".
I have a five Year old son What do i say ????
:mad: "GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY" :mad: " NO MORE XBOX" :mad: "NO MORE ON DEMAND"
Yea This is Punishment ?????????????

dannirr
08-03-2007, 07:42 AM
My kids have all these electronic stuff - but they still like to go "retro". They like regular board games (hence the board I made), they like outdoor activities - and my older son (15 yrs) recently bought a turntable on Ebay to listen to vinyl LP's.

One of my (many) other hobbies are vintage cars - both kids help me in my shop and are learning fast to use tools.

And, after many years of high end digital work, my son has encouraged me to recommision the darkroom for his use.

Danni

PS Thanks everyone for the kind carving comments

BobHill
08-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Spring recess, wet grounds, some snow still around in shady spots (we're talking central coastal Maine on the Penobscot), and knickers, warm jackets, and out would come the cigar boxes and marbles. It looks like I'm not the only one here with those memories. My kids still like the outside (except now it's Florida beaches), but inside games (newest is Phase 10) are still in vogue. That reminds me, a new card holder design has got to be on my "to do" list.
Bob

Kenm810
08-03-2007, 09:51 AM
You guys do invoke a lot of memories, Being 9years old again – early spring on the shores of Lake Superior, that would be mid June --- maybe the third week-- most often on a Tuesday ( Spring doesn’t last long there). Staring North, leaning into the gail, wearing my slicker and boots with tears streaming across my face looking like I just spent 3 days on the wind swept slopes of Everest - not because I was sad or crying, just waiting for the wind to die down and stop the sideways rain long enough to quit blowing our marble away. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

BobHill
08-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh man, does that bring back memories ... of riding the ice cakes with a couple of other 9-10 year old buddies, in the river and gettng caught in the current, having to be rescued by the local tug. And the whipping I got later when the skipper dragged us to my father's place. No marbles there for a long time :( ... and I can't think of a good carving to come from that one, except perhaps to make a paddle to replace the belt he used.

Bob

Kenm810
08-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey Bob, things have really Changed, My dad never used a belt.
He had a 1x2X20" he use as a paddle,
I remember him calling it his board of education.
Boy did I learn my lessons fast in those days. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

BobHill
08-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Amen, Ken ! And, "spare the rod and spoil the child" is now called child abuse. Now it's the kids who rule the schools, much less most homes! I even remember having to make my own paddle for use when I was a pledge in college. I could do that easily today <g>. But then that's also illegal and chargable as a felony today.
Bob

Kenm810
08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Off subject agian http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta
Epsilon
Zeta
Eta
Theta
Iota
Kappa
Lambda
Mu
Nu
Xi
Omicron
Pi
Rho
Sigma
Tau
Upsilon
Phi
Chi
Psi
Omega
A swat for each one missed or out of order -- Thank You Sir May I have Another http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

oldjoe
08-03-2007, 12:32 PM
You know you guys are on to something. My dad rest his soul said that things really started going down hill in this country when they started opening the stores and malls on Sunday! I am not as old as some of you but I can get and AARP card, Most of you remember or had a Sunday schedule like I did,
Up for church the Early service too, not sleeping in and hitting the later ones
Play with friends (outside of course weather never was a factor and I'm in sunny Minnesota) Mom making a great meal for lunch, then off to Grandmas house for the afternoon visit or some other relative, TV what was that maybe an hour or so in the evening watching Ed Sulivan. Not to many other choices,
Oh and maybe you may have had a watches but we told time by the street lights. When they were on we were suppose to be home. Now you just text message them.
What happened is this really progress???
And don't get me started about catholic school Nuns can be cruel people.

DocWheeler
08-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Bob and Ken,
Although born in Buffalo, I grew up in Ohio along side a creek - so my memories of riding ice cakes was of short rides.
I even remember stores being closed on Wednesdays.
The hard part of the "Punishment" was having to go cut the branch to be beaten/switched with.
And I think the "old" way had a lot of advantages over the new way that Bob was talking about.

BobHill
08-03-2007, 12:56 PM
But ... perhaps a turn around is in the making !! Didn't the Pope just decree Mass go back to being in Latin? Are the Nuns going back to the habit, with built in ruler pocket? <g>

Bob

Kenm810
08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Nuns! Nuns! Where http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif ---I still got dimples in shins from kneeling on those @#&#* pencils

ps Danni, for being newbie, you sure run a fun thread.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

castingman
08-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Boy, the newbies first carve realy got intense. Michael

Dave-Carve
08-03-2007, 09:22 PM
see what You started all with a Marble Question!!!!!!!!!!!
Well maybe I started It with My Little refrence to marbles
Like Ive said all along This forum is all about people helping people
Ha!! Kinda like what is was like years ago "People Helping People"
Before I start another Story.:p Ill stop here..
Just want to say the People on this forum are 2nd to None!!!
And Im Proud to be a part of it!!!

dannirr
08-03-2007, 09:37 PM
I love it!

Actually, in another forum (another hobby), the exact same thing happens. It's what makes us all interesting!

Danni

oldjoe
08-03-2007, 09:43 PM
I was thinking of actually starting a new thread about memories from the past but not sure if it would be allowed, After all we kind of went off the subject in away. But thats what great work and ideas bring out in people.

pkunk
08-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Whilst this can be fun, it is not within the forum guidelines. We've asked for a 'off topic' forum, but it's in limbo. So, let's try and keep on topic here.:rolleyes:
In the meanwhile, if you all have the urge chat in this manner, take it to the test forum. When the topic gets stale-I'll delete it, & it won't clutter up the main forum. OK?