PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes

metalman32060
08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I have a hole layout that I have done in Corel Draw which consists of about 350 or so holes. Is there a way to import this and use the drill funtion. Tried importing it as a a bmp but it wants to carve instead of driling in the hole locations. I'm sure I am missing something but haven't been able to come up with a solution as yet. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

BobHill
08-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Do the holes and alignment in CorelDraw, then Save it as a PNG. Import it, make it into a PTN, then drag it onto your work piece, being sure that the over all positioning is the proper dimensions. Use the Outline Pattern and it'll make the holes in vector. Be sure you size the holes to proper size and check to see tat the dimensions of hole locations are true to your original design (raster changes sizes of vector drawings from CorelDraw, sad to say. Use that as a template for placing and manually sizing your vector drill holes and when done delete the raster template and let the machine do the work.

Bob

Dan-Woodman
08-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Kind of makes you wish you had --copy offset doen't it?

BobHill
08-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Actually I wish we had the ability to vector direct from CorelDraw, Illustrator, or Xara. <g>

Bob

jspringertx
08-04-2007, 12:43 PM
I have been requested to make a medallion board (similar to the quarter board) that has 24 holes 1-5/16" X 1/8" deep. I bought a bit, but it is only 1-1/4 and the medallion will not fit the hole.

Can I use my unit to cut out holes to that dimension? Actually they will be stacked on a triangle similar to AA, but I would drill the holes before I cut the boards to a triangle shape.

I know that this is not be best use of my machine, but it would save me from buying another bit if I can find one.

Jeff_Birt
08-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Use the 'Drill' tool (looks like hand drill). You locate the center point of the hole and then tell it the depth and diameter. It drills with the 1/8" cutting bit, making multiple passes (concentric rings) until you diameter is reached. Works great.

BobHill
08-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Choose the Drill tool and yes, you can use the standard cutting bit to use for larger holes (not smaller than the bit, of course). You set the diameter in inches and either choose for it to drill through the board, or you can set the depth for your "holes".

Bob

jspringertx
08-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks to you both for the excellent ideas. I am anxious to give it a try.

I tried it and it worked beautifully. Thanks