PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS or Windows

pkunk
08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Mac or Windows ?

pkunk
08-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Lets keep voting here folks, I know there's more than 25 computers out there, & a bunch are Macs!:p

pkunk
08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
211 views and only 38 votes??? Are you all shy? :confused:

Gman_Ind
08-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Shy, never been accused of that!
I use both the Mac and Windows as well as dabbling in Linux. I voted for windows because that is where I spend th majority on my time, and I have my designer installed on my WinXP machine's.
Every time I see one of these polls/ discussions posted on a forum it seems to turn into a Ford Vs. Chevy type argument. or is is Nissan Vs Toyota? even Mercedes Vs. BMW.
The best advice I have seen is pick one and move on.

PhotoProf
08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
In danger of starting a real battle, you could just buy a new Mac and have both Ford and Chevy. It will be interesting to see how popular the dual platform Mac will be. No doubt more $$ than a lot of Windows machines but a fascinating concept.

pkunk
08-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Mike, I have both also but because I was one of the very first Beta testers on the Mac platform, I have been curious how many others we have that are using it. My Mac is also got the Intel dual processor and is quite capable of running Windows w/ Bootcamp or Parallels, but instead opted for a laptop so my software (Designer & Cabinet design) could be portable.
I have a Ford, Dodge, & a Mercedes & don't fight with the Chevy guys at all.:p

dominulus
08-07-2007, 07:25 PM
The Mac is making a strong showing: More than three times its current U.S. market share.

But then, the Mac has always attracted visually-oriented people.

ajay
08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
greetings all:

I've been reading, err lurking and had to register and jump in to cast my vote. I use a pc at the office but I'm a dedicated and devoted Mac user. Currently using an Intel Mac mini. I also run Parallel's and have, ever since there's been a Parallels product.

Mac forever :D

pkunk
09-15-2007, 10:24 PM
65 votes and 500 active members. Why won't you all vote?:confused:

RanUtah
09-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Just voted.

Andy C
09-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Don't have a Mac so can't compare.

Last time I used a Mac it was an SE.

From it's inception the IBM PC was one of the least capable machines on the market, surpassed by the Amiga and Atari ST. The corporate world loved the IBM logo on a PC and finally felt comfortable purchasing them. The huge volume of units led to more programs for the PC then other units and the eventual pushing out of other platforms.

IBM screwed up with the patents and copyrights letting Microsoft and the clone manufacturers make all the money. At the next campfire I'll tell you the legend of GW Basic and how that put the skids to IBM and the clone manufacturers over the top.

My guess is that the Mac is still better with the graphics.

All that said, you may wonder why the hell I have a windows box.

Well, I get the out of service units for nothing from work and haven't had to pay for a computer since 1992.

Andy

mqbeers
09-16-2007, 08:43 PM
As the title of my post says I use both depending on the mission. Prefer the Mac most of the time, but many applications are not available - Autocad, etc. No great drafting programs for the Mac.

We will see as we go forward with Carvewright and other CNC apps.

DIJITS
09-30-2007, 11:34 AM
As for Cad on the Mac . . . there is one mainstream product still on the market, Ashlar Vellum is a very intuitive program my company used several years ago, unfortunately due to the power of the software selection for the PC Windows eventually took over. I'm sure it's not a cheap program but perhaps a student version can be had or find it on Ebay.

Cheers !

- - - DiJiT in SC CA

Norm
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Some compare the argument as being similar to those who favor Chevrolet over Ford or the other way around. I do not think that is a good analogy. Chevy and Ford have about the same market share. PC and Mac do not. The PC has about 96% while the MAC has around 4%. It does not matter which is “best” only which one won the war.

There have been similar “wars” in the past. VHS vs. Beta – Eight Track vs. Cassette, and now PC vs. Mac. It does not matter if the Beta or the eight track were better, they lost the war. So has the MAC. They raised the white flag a few years ago when the proudly proclaimed “You can run PC software on a MAC.” You do not hear IBM claiming they can run MAC software.

To me having a MAC is like owning the finest 33 1/3 rpm turntable ever made. So what if it has zero wow and zero flutter? We live in a CD world, not a vinyl LP world. We also live in a PC and not a MAC world.

But in the end you go with what you like for what ever reasons you prefer it. I still feel you get better clarity and sound out of an LP than the clipped compressed CD sound. So for the MAC fans I say, “Go for it.”