PDA

View Full Version : Another Bit Question (and more) from a New User

Ivanq
08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I would like to try using a 3/8" bit for sizing a board as instructed in the manual. I see in a prior post that bits other than from CW may be used but does that negate the warranty? I would like to try using a 3/8" bit for sizing a board as instructed in the manual. I would like the convenience of buying local at times. Anything special about the required 3/8” bit?

I also have this question about the cutting order on a project.

Let’s say I have a board 35 inches long by 11 wide. My project is 24x11. The project has a pattern and text. I would like the machine to size the board to 24x11 which entails cutting off both ends keeping in mind the 3 ½ roller requirement.

I believe the software is set up to carve the pattern(s) and the text first. Then it makes the cut offs leavings tabs to facilitate the rollers. When does it rout the edges? Can it rout all four edges and make the cut offs? I know it might be better, in some cases, to use a table saw and a router table to accomplish this but I don’t have all that yet. I would be nice if the machine could accomplish all the tasks.

Am I asking too much of the machine?

Thanks for Your Time
Cliff in Roswell

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Cliff,

I will address the cut out question. For a long board it can take 4 or 5 cycles to cut out your project. The whole time the brass roller must keep tract of the board position and a few times I got the stair stepping of one end of the board as it losses it's correct position by 1/8 of an inch over 30 inches. On one end of the board it leaves stair step and on the other it keeps making your board shorter. Plus the 4 or 5 cycles is an hour's worth of cut time.

For my project of the CD Racks and Quilt Racks I cut a plastic pattern and use my router table to cut them out then round over the ends with a bearing bit. It takes me about 5 min to do what the machine will do in 1 hour. I use the QUALITY Machine time to rout text, animals and cut the square holes.

Just my preference. Every hour wasted doing a basic router or table saw job is an hour off your 200 hour warranty. I looked today and my Orphan machine is up to 275 Motor cut hours..... Now out of warranty....

As far as the calibration and the 3/8 bit..... Have not done it yet but just got the bit in the $300.00 set.

As for cutting order, don't freak if you are watching and it is doing text and it Skipp's a letter of just starts it and goes on.... I found if I miss spell something and go back in and correct it or do any other test editing functions that sometimes it skips parts and comes back in the end to do it.

The last picture is a GREAT Example where it got very confused as the brass roller skipped and it came back to finish a letter and was way out of position. So my advice if you mess up typing a word, erase the whole word and do it again. The Compiler sets the order of what is cut. That corrected letter is now at the end of the program..... or could be.

Next board cut great, the board edge was missing some wood where it contacted the brass roller. A 1/4 in plywood sled would have saved this board.

School's out.... Back to work for me.... I was a Navy Electronics Instructor and just never got away from teaching.....

AL

Dan-Woodman
08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Cliff
You can use any 3/8" straight bit . Just NO bits with bearing or guides on the bottom.
Follow your intuctions as to sizing your board and you'll be fine .
The side you put agaist the fence needs to be pretty straight to start with, and it cuts the opposite side from the keypad.
As for routing the edges and cutting to size thats all handled in designer , and it will automatically pick the steps for you.. The keypad will prompt you what it wants you to do next, change bits , flip board etc.

hope this helps later Daniel