PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Another Source for Ballnose Bits ?

benluz
07-31-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm trying to find some good sources for tapered ballnose carbide bits in the sizes 1/4" ,3/16 and 1/8 with a 1-1/2 flute length or any length over 1".My tool supplier Vortex only carries srtaight bits.
Thanks,
Ben

rjustice
07-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Ben,
I can probably fix you up, but it will take me a couple days. I am curious as to why you are looking for more than 1" of flute?... that is as deep as you can cut.... Do you have a specific angle on the taper?

Ron

benluz
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Ben,
I can probably fix you up, but it will take me a couple days. I am curious as to why you are looking for more than 1" of flute?... that is as deep as you can cut.... Do you have a specific angle on the taper?

Ron

Hi Ron the longer cutting length bits would be used on my shopsabre and the 1" on the carvewright, I can much bigger models on the cnc and much deeper giving a bold and more realistic look.Right now I'm using a 1/4" ballnose and getting no visisble pass marks at 7% stepover. Did you make any solid chucks for the cw yet ? Do you make the carbide carving bits at work or do you have a source? Just pm me with any info or prices you have on bits.
Thanks,
Ben

rjustice
07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Ben,
As far as the chuck is concerned, I am still waiting on a junk spindle to use as a test. Someone recently offered to send me one, so I see that as one of my near future projects.
In reference to the tools, I can and do make some of them, and have a few sources that i work with in my job to distribute for. I currently have in stock 1/64, 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 long reach carbide ball cutters. I also have a few square tip cutters as well... All of those are straight spiral flutes. I also have a couple styles of tapered tools that i have been testing that i can offer within a few days of order. The longer flutes are available as well. If you have a specific in mind let me know which one you are looking at. Also, I have several 3/16 tools that you could use in your machine, but currently cant use in the carvewright due to the shank size. I will eventually make the 3/16 bit adapters for them.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Ron

benluz
07-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Ben,
As far as the chuck is concerned, I am still waiting on a junk spindle to use as a test. Someone recently offered to send me one, so I see that as one of my near future projects.
In reference to the tools, I can and do make some of them, and have a few sources that i work with in my job to distribute for. I currently have in stock 1/64, 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 long reach carbide ball cutters. I also have a few square tip cutters as well... All of those are straight spiral flutes. I also have a couple styles of tapered tools that i have been testing that i can offer within a few days of order. The longer flutes are available as well. If you have a specific in mind let me know which one you are looking at. Also, I have several 3/16 tools that you could use in your machine, but currently cant use in the carvewright due to the shank size. I will eventually make the 3/16 bit adapters for them.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Ron

Hello Ron, can you get the 3/16" and 1/8" and 1/16" ballnose with a taper with 1/4" collet size ,I''m trying to keep all my ballnose that are smaller than 1/4" tip tapered so I can use 1/4" collets and reduce breakage as I will be pushing the envelope with these bits.and 1-1-/2 would be fine for carving depth.let me know what you can do.
Thanks,
Ben