PDA

View Full Version : Centreline text depth

oldjoe
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I got my machine (Lindy II) fixed last night bad board sensor. The LHR people must have small nimble fingers.
I had earlier called Heather to activate the Centerline text did that no problems, But now for a question: I only had time to play with the updated software and noticed that there is no way to adjust the depth of cut. Is there a way or are you stuck with what the program wants. I did notice the different effects of different bits and fonts but no where to change depth.
I think this is the first technical question asked. :rolleyes:

pkunk
07-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Select bold and use the 60° bit for deeper text. Also the larger the text becomes the deeper. Other than that there is no selection.

mtylerfl
07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
I got my machine (Lindy II) fixed last night bad board sensor. The LHR people must have small nimble fingers.
I had earlier called Heather to activate the Centerline text did that no problems, But now for a question: I only had time to play with the updated software and noticed that there is no way to adjust the depth of cut. Is there a way or are you stuck with what the program wants. I did notice the different effects of different bits and fonts but no where to change depth.
I think this is the first technical question asked. :rolleyes:

Hello,

I asked Heather the same question about Depth of Cut settings for the Centerline just yesterday. She did not know if that could be done until she actually tried for herself while I was on the phone with her.

She confirmed there is no way to adjust the depth for Centerline cutting. As pkunk mentioned, changing bits (60 or 90) will have some effect.

rjustice
07-31-2007, 05:52 PM
The software determines the depth of cut by the width of the letter. It maintains the font width at the face of the workpiece. This is why changing the bit angle makes it cut deeper. A 90 degree bit cant go as deep as a 60 degree bit and maintain the width at the face of the workpiece. Also, if you go to a bold font, it makes it wider, therefore takes the bit deeper to give you the wider font.

Ron

oldjoe
07-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the help I am running the machine as we speak. Its kind of hypnotizing watching it cut the centerline text. I thought I was almost thru the learning curve of this machine now I get to start over:o

mtylerfl
07-31-2007, 06:24 PM
The software determines the depth of cut by the width of the letter. It maintains the font width at the face of the workpiece. This is why changing the bit angle makes it cut deeper. A 90 degree bit cant go as deep as a 60 degree bit and maintain the width at the face of the workpiece. Also, if you go to a bold font, it makes it wider, therefore takes the bit deeper to give you the wider font.

Ron

Hello Ron,

Thank you for the great explanation. Makes perfect sense.

Question...if one wants to carve centerline fonts within say, a 1/4" deep recessed carve region, how can that be accomplished? Anyone know if that is possible?

That may be one reason to add a "smart" depth setting feature for centerline.

pkunk
07-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Hello Ron,

Thank you for the great explanation. Makes perfect sense.

Question...if one wants to carve centerline fonts within say, a 1/4" deep recessed carve region, how can that be accomplished? Anyone know if that is possible?

That may be one reason to add a "smart" depth setting feature for centerline.
Up to a certain point it is NOT possible to control. Every fort has a different profile, and a bold font, bold in Designer text, and 60° bit will give the deepest cut. As all fonts are different, it's up to you to experiment. Make a board of several different letters, in different fonts & do a test carve.;)

mtylerfl
07-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Up to a certain point it is NOT possible to control. Every fort has a different profile, and a bold font, bold in Designer text, and 60° bit will give the deepest cut. As all fonts are different, it's up to you to experiment. Make a board of several different letters, in different fonts & do a test carve.;)

Hello Paul,

I see what you mean - I've been playing with the centerline and making note of how the depth changes with different font styles, when enlarging/reducing, etc..

Having fun experimenting!

Digitalwoodshop
10-31-2007, 10:36 AM
I was wondering if for Centerline Text if you changed bits after it did all the measurement and replaced it with a slightly deeper bit of the same style. There would be a limit at how far the clearance is from the bit to the board so it wouldn't stall hitting the top of the board between cuts?

Is there anyway to use the additive or subtractive to combine artwork with text on top of it like the bear. Did the bear just by raising the cutting depth of the bear until the text showed up. But it is still not complete.

AL