PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Text is HERE....

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Got a call from Heather today to activate my Centerline Text. WOW..... Well worth the wait and price.

One very happy Carver..... Thanks LHR !!!!

AL

pkunk
07-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Is it a CD or was it in the software all along?

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Very interesting..... It is already in 1.120 and you go to the help and upgrade code and she gives you a key to put in. She already has your serial number that pops up. Every installation needs it's own activation code...

No CD, No Internet Access, Just a activation key.... It's been there the whole time.

Interesting......

AL

ljdm
07-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Wonder what the original shipping charge was all about then? Also wonder how it can be new and improved if it was there all along. Maybe it was a licensing problem? Would like to hear from users after they try it, see how it performs.

Bill
07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Works excellent.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif Center line has been there all along, just dormant
needing an activation key.

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Just called back and that activation is per computer so activation on a second computer will be $100.00. A computer crash will just be a call for reactivation as the serial number will be the same.

Still a good deal for someone doing signs and lots of text like me.

I think they will back the shipping charge out later.

AL

oldjoe
07-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Okay some where on one of the other posts it the rep from CW said that the shipping charge will be backed out.
But I have kind of an etheics question. And that is I purchased the centerline text and I will activate tonight Now if some one on the forum askes if someone with centerline text could convert a project for them will it be wrong to do it? And will it work for them?
The other question is why did it take so long to come out with this text if it has been there all along? Not complaining just wondering.

Kenm810
07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Thank Al,

Just called Heather at LHR a few minutes ago to activate my Centerline Text.

All set and ready to go. Makes me Feel like kid with a new toy http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

ljdm
07-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Will be very interesting to see the posts over the next few days. Sure will be a lot of wondering going on, I guess. Still, bottom line is it's finally available, let's see how it is compared to the early version. My 2 cents worth - seems like they would have to stop the shipping charge, since there is no actual shipping occurring. Ok...let's keep the posts on this coming in..................

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I too found the same e mail in my full in box this morning but after she called. I think it is just the credit card being processed and the order going to Heather for processing.

Everybody can get in a HUFF about this but in the big picture of things this is a GOOD DEAL and a very positive thing for the users and LHR.

I wouldn't be too ruff on them as I am sure they have their reasons it was handled as it was. Imagine if a Licensing issue caused the company to be locked in a court battle for doing the wrong thing and not erring on the side of caution. This causing the unit to be pulled from the market by a bunch of lawyers lining there pockets with GREED.

Would YOU send your unit back for a full refund to make a LAWYER HAPPY.... Not in a million years......

A smart thing to do in a world where "My Lawyer will be contacting YOU" is the knee "JERK" reaction to Hey, my Emotional PAIN and SUFFERING should pay for my NEXT VACATION...... We have already seen it posted here..... the mention of Lawyer...... It made me SICK.... but I held my tonge.... Until now....

So we can post all the hurt feelings and upset users comments here but in the end we are all thankful that Centerline is now up and running.

There is a saying in the Sign Business.

Make a GREAT Sign and deliver it on time and in budget the customer will tell 10 people about your success.

Make one mistake, miss one deadline, miss budget making one unhappy customer will tell 1000 people.....

Working for Sony at the Service Center a Rap Music CD was sitting in the bottom of a plastic tote missed by a packing technician on a outgoing order and was included with the next customers Boom Box. Granted it was human error, 2 wrongs..... Improper handling of the incoming CD with the original order and the loss to the unknown customer then 2, the sending of the CD to another customer. The CD was received by a Middle American family and thought to be a "GIFT" from Sony. When the Lawyers got done, the family had the financing to send all there kids to college. The pain and suffering hearing 4 letter words put to music..... A lawyer's dream......

I fixed Play Stations and DVD's so when a X rated DVD was found in a unit the supervisor got involved contacting the customer to prevent the "kids" from opening "Daddy's" package from SONY.....

Being in business I expect to some day to need the services of a lawyer..... It's just a fact of life....

AL

Gman_Ind
07-30-2007, 01:44 PM
I love the speed centerline text carves with, I also like to copy offset and trim vector lines I wonder if they will charge $100 for these features as well?
I have a slight issue with LHR not including it in the base software right off the start, but I am glad it is now available.

BearlyRich
07-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Just called back and that activation is per computer so activation on a second computer will be $100.00. A computer crash will just be a call for reactivation as the serial number will be the same.

Still a good deal for someone doing signs and lots of text like me.

I think they will back the shipping charge out later.

AL

As much as I want centerline, and fully believed it was included with the machine when I bought it per advertisements, the above is a breaker. I play with computers as much as anything else and this is more like a software rental than a purchase. If they relax it or change it, then they'll get my money... Companies are getting way too controlling on how "their" software can be use. I don't care about legal mumbo jumbo. If I pay for it, I should be able to install it and use it as I see fit, especially with the way windows crashes! And am I wrong in that the software was allowed to be installed on TWO computers so we could use a laptop in the shop and a desktop elsewhere?

Sorry, I could almost live with the cost but this licensing scheme is over the top... And I was going to order it today...

911guy
07-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Very interesting..... It is already in 1.120 and you go to the help and upgrade code and she gives you a key to put in. She already has your serial number that pops up. Every installation needs it's own activation code...

No CD, No Internet Access, Just a activation key.... It's been there the whole time.

Interesting......

AL

Actually, not sure if it's the trial software as what I am using but the Centerline option is not there on mine....

pkunk
07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
OK ladies, lets keep the whining to a minimum. It is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. Like it or leave it. Should I go on? Don't answer that:rolleyes:

pkunk
07-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Actually, not sure if it's the trial software as what I am using but the Centerline option is not there on mine....
If you'd read the other posts you'd of discovered it is there. You won't get it unless you pay for an activation key.

911guy
07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
If you'd read the other posts you'd of discovered it is there. You won't get it unless you pay for an activation key.

Gotcha, my bad then.

Just ordered my machine today with the centerline, bit set and 1/16th adapter and bit. Trying to patiently wait for it...

CallNeg151
07-30-2007, 08:59 PM
...And am I wrong in that the software was allowed to be installed on TWO computers so we could use a laptop in the shop and a desktop elsewhere?

Sorry, I could almost live with the cost but this licensing scheme is over the top... And I was going to order it today...
I'm sorry to hear that the purchase price is for only one installation. While I was orignally disapointed about the $100, it was bearable when I thought that it would apply to both of my installations. Since I can't decide which one I would want the installation on (I use both installations equally), and I'm not willing to spend $200 for what I see as a stopgap measure between the basic and advanced software package, I think that I too will wait, at least until I can't stand it any more, or at least figure out which of my computers I want it on.

I'm just curious what the long delay in releasing it was if it was built into the 1.120 software the whole time? It's been "two weeks" away for ages. Curiouser and curiouser.

CallNeg151
07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, I lasted about 40 minutes before breaking out the credit card for one install. I need to do something nice for my wife before she finds out. :-)

I just hope I choose the right computer to install it on. :-(

TownEnterprises
07-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Hello ALL...

I have been a very happy and satisfied CompuCarve owner for many months, and I've read and followed along throughout. Since my purchase at the beginning of May, I've progressed slowly and methodically learning all the while. The machine has performed flawlessly I am happy to say, and the only hiccup was operator error.
I was immediately interested a good month ago (or however long ago it was) when the blurb on the website stated "Centerline Text" was coming soon. I waited and waited... even wrote an email as to how soon it would be released. Then, a few days later it disappeared. A post on the Forum gave the explanation... and so I waited even longer.
Then, a post on the Forum late this past Thursday afternoon (the 26th) that Centerline was available!! I must have been one of the first to order without a doubt! After reading further, I realized I also needed the proper centerline carving bits and had to place a second order that night.
Anyway, I received the same telephone call from Heather this morning and I must admit it was a little strange to plug in the activation code and have Centerline Text option mysteriously appear in the current version of 1.120! Still, I didn't care... I had it in my 'hot little hands'. I asked Heather if this was indeed only good on one PC installation (as she asked me in the beginning which compuer I wanted to put it on), and she stated factually that it was.
Hmmmm... that's a bummer, but so it goes. You know what people? I will most assuredly pay another $100 to have it installed on my other PC. I don't quite understand all of the discontent about it being promised in the beginning, the fact that it is licensed for only one machine, "lawyers guns and money", or whatever. I am a happy little camper to have it for an additional $100 and I quite willing to pay another $100 (in the near future!) to receive a second license. This overall seems like a steal... the overall machine and the software is such a huge bargain I personally am counting my lucky stars!!! And guys... I've been unemployed since days just before Christmas!!! Money is rather scarce, but I am not about to complain about any of this... I for one am delighted at this most amazing opportunity!

Okay... enough! Now I feel better! Oh ya... here's the sad part. As I stated earlier, I had to order the proper bits for centerline carving, and they haven't arrived yet!!! I have the software and can only twiddle my thumbs!!! Yet I'm still absolutely thrilled!!!

To agree with Digitalwoodshop... "Don't complain... BE HAPPY!!!"

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Excellent for a FIRST EVER POST.... I am with you on being happy.

Any 60 degree and 90 degree V bit should work fine in case you want to get one local.

I use the V60 for text below 1 inch in height and V90 for the rest.

Good Luck,

AL

oldjoe
07-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Well I guess it is the way of the future to pay for something that is already there just needed the right code to get it to work, I have seen this before in some of our CNC equipment. We buy the machine have them install what we think we will need, Then when we need to install another feature its time to get out the check book again some of the most string of numbers and letters I have ever seen. $100 cheap try multiplying that by 100 or more for some of the equipment I have seen. Not sure about the second computer installation I understand the why but I just can't afford it twice. And if something goes wrong with the computer I have it in then I guess I will have to cross that bridge when it comes. But at least I will know whether it was really worth it or not.
But LHR is a great company to work with and maybe a good sob story to Heather will help. ;)

Hawg_man
07-31-2007, 04:39 AM
Having been around NC/CNC operated machines for over 35 years..........this method of activation of built in features in the software is normal. I have other software which uses the same method. I ordered mine yesterday and look forward to using it. I'm not sure why LHR did not let consumers know this earlier but thats history now.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
07-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Must have been worried about hackers.....

AL

Gman_Ind
07-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I have used Centerline text quite alot and I found that the 1/2" dia x 90 degree router bit (any will work) work better for Bookman style fonts, my 60 degree bit does not square out the box ends of the fonts it looks more like bones when using 60 degree. I avoid the hand written and non smooth fonts these use many tool paths and are really slow to carve, sorta defeats the speed gain and is almost same quality as raster text.
Just my 2 cents.
I like watching the vector carving Vs. raster, it is analogous to watching a pen plotter draw lines and text VS. a dot matrix printer spit out line by line.