PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me for asking but..what is centerline text?

911guy
07-28-2007, 03:07 AM
I saw the previous thread about Centerline text and the controvery it caused so I'll apologize in advance. I have to ask. How is centerline text different from the standard font that a regular PC windows version offers? Reason I bring this up is because I am most likely going to purchase a CW machine in the very near future and wanted to know about this additional purchase. Thanks.

Kenm810
07-28-2007, 06:30 AM
911 Guy,

Centerline is the third and most anticipated of the lettering or script text font carving capabilities. It carves much faster, while it is producing crisper and cleaner lettering then the Raster or Outline can processes that we have now. Making it preferred when carving signs and plaques. It requires 60 or 90 degree bits to carve, but a few folks have used or experimented with others. All the different fonts that the machines can carve are in and supplied by your computer. If you require a special text font you can fine it online and add it to your computer fonts, By the way the CW or CC can't reproduce or carve a a text font if it's not in your computer, and will try to replace it with one that is.

You never have to apologize for asking questions here, it's how all of us learn http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

rjustice
07-28-2007, 08:37 AM
To add to Kens post here is a picture that pkunk posted a few months ago showing the difference between the 3 types of text.

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Here are samples of Centerline, Outline, and Raster. The Centerline you use a V shaped bit or a V60 degree or a V90 degree. In my cast the V90 bit was dull, you can see the letters are not cut clean. It cuts very much like you write with a pencil.

The Outline and Raster are cut with the carving bit and it does the wood pecker and removes wood to leave the letter. It takes some playing around with the spacing, Bold or not bold, and size to get a good letter.

This was also cut before I replaced my chuck so the letters are very sloppy.

The final picture is when you finally get it right.... The top sign of the 3.

AL

911guy
07-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Ok, thanks guys. I think I get it. Basically, if my goal is to make signs/plaques (which the majority of my work will be), the Centerline will be a good edition as it produces a more smooth cut than the raster and outline.

I suppose using the "Inverting" on the software (I have the trial version software) doesn't make that much of a difference with outline or raster?

Kenm810
07-29-2007, 07:53 AM
These samples plus a few others are some of the variations
of the raster and outline carving capabilities we have now,
and all have their place in our carving projects.
What we expect or at least hope, is by adding centerline carved text fonts is,
that it will help lift our abilities to a higher level.
Centerline font carving is a little faster and possibly will add a more professional appearance to our carved projects. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

newcarver, I hope you don't mind me using your text as a example

911guy
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks Ken, looking forward to trying my machine out (and Centerline) this week.

Old Cop
08-09-2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks all. This information really helps.I will be ordering it tomorrow.Really apprecate the information